Camera Choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love my Canon Power Shot D10 12.1 MP Under water camera that takes amazing pics. Set it to macro with no flash and you won't believe what you see when you blow the pics up on your PC

I currently have Nikon D300S with grip, NIkon 35mm F1.8 AFS, nikon 50mm F1.8 and nikon 300mm f2.8 AFS in my bag,

I plan to add a d700 in the near future.

I also have a 1.7X teleconverter. and sb400 flash (i don't use flash as i mainly shoot sports)

I am a 35mm guy myself.

Pentax K1000 SLR
ASA Manual to 1/1000
50mm lens
Auto Zoom lens 80mm-200mm
28mm lens
135mm lens
Many, many filters
Phoenix Infrared flash

I also have an old 6x6 that I use every now and then

canon rebel xt

Specifications
dot_line_sm.gif

TypeType
Digital AF/AE SLR
Recording Media
CF card Type I and II
Image Sensor Size
0.87 x 0.58 in./22.2 x 14.8mm
Compatible Lenses
Canon EF Lenses including EF-S Lenses (Focal length conversion factor: Equivalent to approx. 1.6x indicated focal length compared to 35mm format)
Lens Mount
Canon EF mount
dot_line_sm.gif
Image SensorType
High-sensitivity, high-resolution, single-plate color CMOS sensor
Pixels
Approx. 8.0 Megapixels
Total Pixels
Approx. 8.2 Megapixels
Aspect Ratio
2:3 (Vertical:Horizontal)
Color Filter System
RGB primary color filter
Low-pass Filter
Fixed position in front of the image sensor
dot_line_sm.gif

i <3 my camera.
i take photos of fish in macro, then change it to portrait for family, then sports for skydiving... it does it all, and allows for my unnatural clumsiness by not dying every time i drop it.

Nikon AF SLR D60

Sensor • 23.6 x 15.8 mm CCD sensor
• Nikon DX format (1.5x FOV crop)
• 10.2 million effective pixels
• 10.8 million total pixels
• RGB Color Filter Array
• 12-bit A/D converter Anti-dust measures • Image sensor cleaning system*
• Airflow control system*
• Image dust off from reference frame (using optional Capture NX software) Image sizes • 3872 x 2592 (Large, 10.0 MP)
• 2896 x 1944 (Medium, 5.6 MP)
• 1936 x 1296 (Small, 2.5 MP) Image quality • NEF (12-bit compressed RAW)
• JPEG fine (1:4)
• JPEG normal (1:8)
• JPEG basic (1:16)
• NEF (RAW) + JPEG basic Color space • IIIa (sRGB - more green for colourful landscapes) default
• Ia (sRGB)
• II (Adobe RGB) Lens mount Nikon F mount (with AF contacts)

dont even get me started on the nikon/canon war
war? lol they both take pictures, I just like how the nikon fits my hand better and the menue system better. Nikon has the edge on high ISO right now too.

It personal preference really, not a cult...

Can you guys give me a good recommendation for a camera? I will use it for mostly for near range photography. I can spend around $200-$500 on it. I'll try to buy one off amazon or ebay.

I just have a Nikon Coolpix digital camera. Would an SLR type of camera take better pictures? I did a lot of research about cameras 5 years ago, but forgot most of what I learned. I just remembered that I was looking for a SLR camera.

Can you guys give me a good recommendation for a camera? I will use it for mostly for near range photography. I can spend around $200-$500 on it. I'll try to buy one off amazon or ebay.

I just have a Nikon Coolpix digital camera. Would an SLR type of camera take better pictures? I did a lot of research about cameras 5 years ago, but forgot most of what I learned. I just remembered that I was looking for a SLR camera.

I use an Olympus E-420...Love it!!...Under 500 bucks
I put some of my fish pics here
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/your-favourite-fish-160605-4.html

A DSLR has numerous advantages, with main one being no shutter lag and exchangeable lenses. the problem there is that all these lenses cost money, and the better ones cost much more than the camera. For macro photography, which seems to be where your interest lies, expect a macro lens in the 60 to 100mm range to retail new for between $500 and $700.
As far as better pictures go, the DSLR tend to have a larger censor, which does help with picture quality. New models with more megapixels come out often, so perhaps an older model might offer better value, either new or slightly used. I have a Canon XSi, and like it a lot. I chose Canon because I know several people who shoot Canon, which gives me the opportunity to audition/borrow various lenses. Even the most basic DSLR in a company's line will offer lots of features, and any ( well, most) lenses you acquire will work on a new model if you decide to upgrade.

I use my gf's nikon d90 with the basic 18mm-105mm lens. It doesn't do ultra closeup macro stuff, but it works great for aquarium related photos (can see the scales on fish) and family photos. If you are even remotely serious about photography and want awesome high quality photos, spend the extra and go with a DSLR, you won't regret it.

Ohh a camera thread! This is just another one of my many expensive hobbies :)

I shoot with the following gear

Body: Canon 50D
Lens's: Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4
Flash: Canon 580EX II
Tripod: Manfrotto 055XPROB Legs with Manfrotto 804RC2 3-Way head

Nothing too fancy, but it gets the job done. I plan on adding a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, as well as the Manfrotto 410 junior gear drive head in the next couple of months.

Sean

LOL, I'll admit that with the current bodies the Nikon's seem to do better in low light. But I think a 5D Mark III (when it comes out) will help me out in that department :)

Sean

abrahamavelar said:
well i use 3 different cameras i use nikon d60 nikon d200 and nikon d7000

D200 is still my favourite! Was my first DSLR and I still use it now!

Back
Top Bottom