Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Went out to have a look at the ADA powersand after seeing CB’s comments on the quality of it. It does look very nice and is just burning a hole in the floor so to speak. Very tempted to add.

So scary about pest spraying. When I lived in a more tropical area we had Anoles and Geckos living in the yard and around the plants and porch lights.

One day the neighbor's monthly contract pest control company got the house number wrong and sprayed my place - I wasn't home or I wouldn't have let them Killed most of the Geckos, though they gradually made a comeback and so many of the Anoles just disappeared too.

That’s a shame!

Finally did a water change and realised I need to get a proper step ladder. Rather than the outdoor ladder where a little easy to put a leg wrong going up and down it. On the good news side I didn’t hit my head on the roof this week lol.

Checked the bolbitis and the brown algae is actually looking like nutrient deficiency with holes in leaves and looking re-absorbed. Which should be an easy fix to start ferts dosing and testing again. Check light settings as well. Get the routine back.

Only one angelfish ended up swimming inside the gravel vac this week so hopefully they are getting bored with doing that.

Angelfish...
Glad about you getting trained to not hit your head on the ceiling, haha.

Know what you mean about the ferts, I also need to get back to business on those. Keep us posted.

Lol, yes - low ceiling.

Started ferts dosing again last night. Potassium mainly plus phosphate. Test readings were ammonia - slight tinge I think still, nitrates - none, phosphate - 0.5ppm.

Almost suspect it’s the same culprit each week. And egged on by his/her mates outside the gravel vac.

On the good news side starting to get the water changes sorted.

And still tempting to swap substrate out over Easter.

283a88b691b688b1bb374ffa4644a149.jpg

Yeah, all three will be in there as soon as I turn my back. Even pouring them out seems not to work. Hope they put some size on soon now tank getting back to normal.

Added to that just watched a yoyo loach swimming madly around a piece of floating, vertical cuttlebone for 5 minutes. I have a suspicion it thought its tail was another loach but who knows ...

Still got four so possibly not very bright (although it wouldn’t surprise me if it knew and was doing it anyway lol).

Stocking is now:

3 angelfish
3 ottos
3 Bolivian rams
4 loaches
2 male bn catfish
3 female bn catfish

Plants - java fern, anubias, bolbitis.

6d2fab76c639354a3bbfed1bbb1742f6.jpg

9d68fe7c9960e614b5e79ac350bc4985.jpg

No more fish lost - yay!

Ammonia and nitrite 0ppm. Checked ammonia against tap water and pretty sure both 0 (always have trouble with colours).

Tap ph much lower in new place - around 7.5 straight from tap. Old place was 8.2 and it settled to about 7.8 ph. I’ve left some cuttle bone in tank.

Tank ph from probe and pen fairly close at 6.9 to 7ppm.

Nitrates 0ppm. Dosed 1.5ppm off Calc app and got a nitrate reading between 0 to 5ppm. So will increase nitrate dosing (feel like I might as well just get more fish!).

Phosphate 1ppm.

Yet to check kh, gh, TDS. Then dose kh maybe.

Plants don’t look very good. Hoping the nitrate dosing will help.

Left backing as got told this would help protect on scratches when shifting again. Still thinking. Still to get to shops.

Kh was about 6 to 7 on JBL proscan / api.

Gh 7 on JBL (api test kit expired a year ago oops).

Tds - tap 240ppm

Tds - tank 250ppm.

Not really sure if that is good or bad TDS.

Your water sounds wonderful.
The TDS is medium ,like your gh and kh .
I would think you don't need the cuttle bone but no harm should come from it.
Glad the tank is all good now...I hated moving years ago !

More for myself to leave a note that regularly dosing nitrate now each night. Usually I do this and nothing happens, nothing happens, then all of a sudden 80ppm nitrates ...

I think that’s it lol - seems to flip quicker than I expect even after using an app to work out dosage. Than I water change, adjust dosing and all good. Weird.

Back
Top Bottom