aquarium built into wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Considering building a 30 gallon aquarium into the wall. Any advice or suggestions? Anyone have any pictures to share that have done this?

Thanks,
mt

is this freshwater or saltwater? if you are going to build an aquarium into a wall, a 30 gallon seems like more trouble that it is worth. wall built aquariums are usually large and custom sized... plus, if you are planning a saltwater tank, 30 gallons is a bit small. it will work but it is better to have a larger tank to provide a larger volume of water to dilute changes in water chemistry.

but if you have your heart set on it...

you're gonna need a room to build the support in. that room can store all your pumps, filters, lights, etc. your basically going to cut a hole in the wall, build a stand, and frame the opening with some trim...

add some details as to what you want, and try a google search. there are a bunch of sites that detail the project a lot better than what you are going to get in a short forum response (like this one).

~mike

Aquarium in wall

Thanks, I will try a google search.

It is going to be a freshwater. It is new construction and I was planning on building in into a kneewall. Afraid to go any bigger than 30 gallons due to the space and the weight.

knee wall... as in attic!!! that scares me a bit.

as for new construction and weight... you may want to discuss this with your architect or builder to see if the want to strengthen the floor supporting structure below the tank. i have a 55 gallon tank on the second floor of a townhouse (estimated weight is ~800 lbs)... with no added support underneath it. 30 gallons will weigh less than ~300 lbs (unless you add a lot of sand or rock to it).

some links for your review...
http://www.weatherson.com/construction.htm
http://www.oregonreef.com/
many more out there...

~mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom