DIY rockwork for cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm dreaming up the aquascaping of my tanks. :p I've searched the site and the net for suggestions on how to build the rockwork but haven't found much help yet. I'm looking for tips or suggestions or links. I'm also not to clever in craft projects so my DIY needs to be idiot-proof :roll: I'm in the planning stages so let me know if this won't work for some reason or if you have a better idea. I'm not married to this yet.

Right now my cichlid tank is a hodgepodge of clay pots, ceramic cups & flat rocks -- looks ugly. 8O I really like the idea of black backdrop with colorful fish. For my 30 gallon tall, I bought some black sandblasting sand for the substrate. The featured fish will be a pair of yellow labs plus a couple gold apple snails. I'd like to to use black slate to build some caves & rockwork.

I called a Lowes and the slate there would be cheap. It would be about 3/8" thick and squares either 6" x 6" or 12" x 12". I can break it up on my cement driveway so it's a little more rustic looking. (not sure if the breaking would work very well). Then I picture using a safe "glue" (epoxy?) and building a square "lattice" work to almost the top of the tank. The base pattern would be 2 or 3 sides and a flat shelf top. The pattern would be repeated in larger and smaller sizes so that it fills one part of the tank with the other part free for swimming.

Would this be feasible? Any ideas for other materials to make black rockwork in my cichlid tank? Which "glue" would be best?

Thanks in advance!!!
coolchinchilla :pepsi:

Back
Top Bottom