Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My week old 55 and DIY ATS

About 5 years ago i got into reef keeping with a 20 gallon and a 10 gallon refugium in the same stand holding my sump in the picture. I got the 55 gallon two years ago and swapped out the 20 but kept using the same refugium. Kept the tank running for around a year but broke it down after an insane outbreak of neomeris annulata that completely took over my aquarium. So now im back to it and just set it back up a wk ago. I decided to go with an ATS this time around and even tried my hand at making the acrylic housing for it (which turned out pretty good for my first work with acrylic). My screen is 7" x 7.5" and i have 23 watts of pc lighting on each side. I kept track of exactly how many gallons i put in when i was filling it and its holding right at 45 gallons with my rock and sand in. So im right on the money for wattage but might be a little big on the screen considering its good for 52.5 gallons. Im actually not running the ATS lights until the tank cycles, i just turned them on for the pics. So anyway, I have a couple questions for anyone that wants to chime in. First of all is my screen size going to be to much for 45 gallons? I usually keep a pretty light bioload as far as fish go so i dont have a need to feed alot, and plan to scrape each side of the screen on alternating weeks so it should be fine. Finally a question about the flow through the slot over my screen. If u look closely at the pic from the side of the acrylic box you might be able to see that the water really likes one side of the screen more than the other. Both sides are equally rough and i cant understand why it stays on one side. The other side has flow but its not a 10th of whats running down the other side. The slot is 1/8" all the way down so i dont know what else it could be or if it will even matter. Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	191316  

Old 08-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Didnt post all my pics

So it only posted one of my four pics so lets try again.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	96
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	191322  

Old 08-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Last one

Must be my phone keeping it from posting all the pics i choose so im only posting one more. This is the one that shows the water flowing down one side of the screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	110
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	191325  

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com