Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful dogs, everyone! (y)

I wish I could participate in this thread someday. We lost our beautiful Brittany Spaniel to heart disease around this time last year. Ever since then, my husband refuses to even consider getting another dog any time soon, (especially a Beagle... which is what I've always wanted since I was a kid). It hurt us to put our li'l girl down, but she was suffering pretty bad towards the end. It just doesn't feel right not having a dog in our lives. :(

Be sure to cherish your dogs and give them hugs every single day because you never know when your friend(s) will leave your side. RIP Jessie

I am sorry about your puppers. :cry:

Bl80, my dogs can't have corn, so I kind of have the same issue, although they probably don't eat as much as Baxter. ;) Dakota face shape resembles my dog Koal, she must be part border collie.

yeowch! @ the broken finger..lol.

sorry to hear about jessie, mclumpy. it's very sad. i never knew dogs were susceptible to heart disease.
we had a presa canario that died of a fast growing cancer at just 5 years old as well...terribly sad times.

This was our dog Sadie. She died a few years ago, but was a GREAT dog. I look forward to the day when I can get another lab.

Attachments

• sadie at Christmas 1.jpg
    sadie at Christmas 1.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 144
Hey, I have a dog named Sadie! She's a mutt and we got her for 60$ at a shelter. She's the best dog I've ever had!

This was our dog Sadie. She died a few years ago, but was a GREAT dog. I look forward to the day when I can get another lab.

Aww! She is precious! Labs are awesome dogs, they just stay like a kid their whole life. My family had a choco/black lab for years, but she was hit by a car...
And yea, I was incredibly allergic to her. But, it was worth it.

I am sorry about your puppers. :cry:

sorry to hear about jessie, mclumpy. it's very sad. i never knew dogs were susceptible to heart disease.
we had a presa canario that died of a fast growing cancer at just 5 years old as well...terribly sad times.

Thanks, guys. My FIL breeds Brittanys and she was the runt of the litter. We fell in love w/ her the first time we saw her.

The vet referred to it as heart disease, but every dog in the litter had the same condition. We're convinced that, (even though she was purebred), something altered the bloodline somehow. Her heart increased in size to the point where it was putting pressure on her other organs. She was constantly caughing due to her heart pressing on her trachea and towards the end she was struggling to breathe. We shared 13 great years w/ her, but knew she was in pain and we were faced w/ an extremely difficult decision to make... but it was for the best.

Sorry to hear about your presa canario, Mr_X. :(

She was absolutely beautiful! Sorry for your loss. :(

Your babies are beautiful! My hubby wishes Id like cheaper pets!!! Lol. He calls my tanks money pits.....lol. And of course having a dog that cost more than you pay for a sm used car can be a bit nutty too...lol

LOL I think your hubby and mine think to much alike on these issuse and I only have a sm dog. She does not eat much and 5 pound bag of food last us about 6 weeks.

The Black and brown one is our girl dog named Sugar (Blue heeler and Red Bone mix) and the Brown and White one is our Boy dog named Digby (Beagle mix).

Attachments

• digby stare 1.jpg
    digby stare 1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 59
  • sugar.jpg
    sugar.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 72
  • sugar stare 1.jpg
    sugar stare 1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 54
  • sugar and digby.jpg
    sugar and digby.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 82
About corn and grains and all of that:
I was recently reading about alll of these things that most dogs don't digest well. I don't have an exact link unfortunately but things like soy, corn, and wheat all aren't easily digested. Those are the worst things typically, but then like the by-products (like chicken beak?!) are also bad. I'll try to find a link, just so everybody can at least know what I'm talking about. I neverrr knew I was feeding my poor baby all this junk that upsets his belly. :(
A lot of people don't really bother switching their dogs to higher quality food to avoid all those things, but I did. I treat him like he's really my flesh and blood, regular old baby.
Edit: For the record, I have noticed his demeanor has changed since we changed his food. He's more energetic, more affectionate, less aggressive. :)
I'll be posting a picture of him soon. :)

I took one of my dogs to a class, one of the classes was about nutrition, and the trainer told me about the wheat, corn and by-products, ever since then, if one of the first 5 ingredients contains ANY of those, I don't feed it to my dogs. Besides, they are both allergic to corn. You know what it's like when we eat corn, it's the same with dogs.
They put those ingredients in the food as fillers. My dogs also poop ALOT less since I started giving them good food, and they don't eat as much because they are actually digesting the food, instead of passing it right through. ;)
My dogs also NEVER get people food.

Same goes for my dogs, they have a diet of Custom formula dog food (great for dogs) and occasionally get a small piece of bread (Non-wheat)

Well I guess I'm just behind on this. Lol (even though its not really funny). I just recently learned about it and I've been trying to tell everyone I know with dogs, because pretty much no one I know personally has heard it. And the vets around here recommend the crappy food brands, so I guess it's not a suprise or a mystery why..

If you feed a grain free diet (raw is best but grain free is better then nothing) In the long run you will save money. You will have to visit the vet a lot less and your dog(s) will be happy and healthy (in comparison to cheep food). I don't have proof but I believe it and practice it. My dogs get a mix of dry grain free kibble and grain free raw (previously frozen) They eat about 1/2 lbs (500g) of raw and 10 FL ounces (300ML) of dry kibble.

I have a 1 year old English boxer and a 10 year old dalmatian, Mia was my Christmas (2009) present.

Here she is on my lap the day I got her:
dp8u14.jpg

28r2z3n.jpg

Here is my dear, photogenic Sade:
2u5yvzr.jpg

ony47.jpg

2up7jo0.jpg

Here is Mia all grown up, after she dug a huge hole in the backyard lol:
9ghr3a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom