Tanked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Their acrylic work looks like it is hard to fault. Acrylic is really fun to work with, but it sure is heavy. But I would love to have one of their 800 gallon bow ended tanks. My guess it costs about the same as a Porsche.

I was so excited when they advertised this show then I watched it and was very disappointed extremely scripted were its as corny as a b rated movie and nothing on fish keeping or reefing ..very nice tanks but no value to the show what's so ever

bskerrichard27 said:
I was so excited when they advertised this show then I watched it and was very disappointed extremely scripted were its as corny as a b rated movie and nothing on fish keeping or reefing ..very nice tanks but no value to the show what's so ever

Yeah agreed. It's torture watching those idiots lol
I also think that every tank I've ever seen them do is way way WAY overstocked!!

I watch only for the beauty of what they have created and grumble to myself about the stocking choices.

My hubby can tell when they've done a bad job stocking, I sit on the couch and mumble not so nice words. :angel:

But, they do have some awesome set-ups.

Honestly I like the show because they have started explaining care for the fish and the importance of cycling.

It seems their idea of cycling is to add some bottles of bio-product, throw the fish in and walk away. That is the part of the show I dislike.

I think they've listened to aquarists and how they aren't showing much of the Fish care. I think this because I've noticed, in their newer episodes, they have begun to talk about the importance of cycling and the needs of each fish.

I treat my fish like I do all my animals including the dogs. It is my sole responsibility to provide a good home to any creature I take guardianship of. These creatures should not be considered disposable. For example, I know people who kill one mandarin goby after the other. They mean no more to them than a fly does.

Gregcoyote said:
I treat my fish like I do all my animals including the dogs. It is my sole responsibility to provide a good home to any creature I take guardianship of. These creatures should not be considered disposable. For example, I know people who kill one mandarin goby after the other. They mean no more to them than a fly does.

That is so sad!!! I also read somewhere that Platys are "cheap" therefore no big deal if you kill them. That attitude just sucks! They are living creatures! Sure they are about two bucks but so are the free puppies you see people giving away. I bet that those free puppies aren't considered disposable!! I know my once free puppy that is now almost 13 and takes daily heart meds and has horrible cataracts isn't!

image-3446144643.jpg

Back to Tanked. I am a newbie at aquariums and I watched the show prior to getting one. Of course I knew that a tv show can't possibly show all the boring stuff, but I had NO idea how hard cycling your tank was. Knowing that info wouldn't have changed my mind about getting a tank, but it sure would have been nice to see more of that kind of stuff before. At least then I would have known I wasn't doing anything wrong!!

Sharkbait54 said:
The show is about crazy tanks not fish or reef keeping. Lol

^This.. is an important point. Well said Sharkbait.

I think we are all longing for a show about fish and reef keeping. The fact that there's a show about aquariums that ignores the substance of the hobby is a disappointment to us but it has no bearing on Tanked. It is what it is, a Zhou about a company that builds acrylic tanks.

My bet is, before the filming of the show, ATM probably just delivered and setup their tanks. Once their company became the focus of a show they were likely pressured into making the final product "complete" with masses of live animals, added more to look good on TV than anything. This, at the insistence of TV producers who know nothing about the hobby.

My supposition could be all wrong, but who knows. lol

I certainly agree. It just sends a inaccurate message. I guess it's like the car shows that show how easy it is to bolt that super charger on, when it would take us a month.

Gregcoyote said:
I certainly agree. It just sends a inaccurate message. I guess it's like the car shows that show how easy it is to bolt that super charger on, when it would take us a month.

Great analogy! The sad thing is it's on a channel about "animals" while the show sends all the wrong messages (as you pointed out) about their care. I honestly don't expect better from Animal Planet and that's disappointing. Still, I watch the show and like it for what it is. If somebody ever comes out with a different show about aquarium husbandry I'd buy the seasons.

I like the show personally. I do hate some of what they do, they make it look so easy and thus people go out and buy their own tanks without doing anything. So, I am glad they are doing a little more to show how hard a new set up can be.

You also got to understand that the people that get the tanks don't care about cycling, how hard it is to keep fish a live. All they care about is the look, and it being fully stocked and taken care of without them lifting a finger. With that they look like they try to keep the fish alive wit the bio-starter stuff and the live sand and now the water they put into it that is straight from the sea.

Rich people don't care about animals and how much they cost. I know a lot of people don't care about fish.

Whatever their show is about, it is still NOT a good idea to show people they can keep rainbow sharks, bala sharks, and iridescent sharks in an 8 gallon!!! These are living creatures! This really bothered my in the NPH episode...

I think we all agree.

Dear owners of ATM,

We love you guys and your work is spectacular. We would ask that you consider reinforcing the message that a tank full of sea life isn't a plastic bouquet of flowers on the table. There are careful considerations as to the stocking and long term care of the creatures that doesn't come across on the show well enough. We know this is entertainment television, but home owners that want to be in this wonderful hobby don't need disappointment. Saltwater has become vastly easier to do than even a decade ago, but we as a hobby are being closely watched as many think the fish and coral we take from the sea needs to stop. Even with breeding and fragging, much of what we house comes from the ocean. Our hobby needs to show responsibility in our care of these delicate creatures and not be seen as just a rich guys decoration for his pad or a corporate sponsors statement.

Thank you,
Greg the reef keeper.

Last edited:
Gregcoyote said:
I think we all agree.

Dear owners of ATM,

We love you guys and your work is spectacular. We would ask that you consider reinforcing the message that a tank full of sea life isn't a plastic bouquet of flowers on the table. There are careful considerations as to the stocking and long term care of the creatures that doesn't come across on the show well enough. We know this is entertainment television, but home owners that want to be in this wonderful hobby don't need disappointment. Saltwater has become vastly easier to do than even a decade ago, but we as a hobby are being closely watched as many think the fish and coral we take from the sea needs to stop. Even with breeding and fragging, much of what we house comes from the ocean. Our hobby needs to show responsibility in our care of these delicate creatures and not be seen as just a rich guys decoration for his pad or a corporate sponsors statement.

Thank you,
Greg the reef keeper.

Thank you!

baron1282 said:
Rich people don't care about animals and how much they cost. I know a lot of people don't care about fish.

i know a lot of rich people who take amazing care of their animals and even a couple who donate to animal charities. That type of callous remark is beyond ignorant. Yes, there are some "people" who either out of ignorance or blatant cruelty are inhumane to animals but it has more to do with individuality than with income. An individual can either choose to care well for an animal or choose not to. Low income pet owners sometimes sacrifice disposable income to provide for their animals. Others sacrifice the well being of a pet due to finance. Whatever the case, wealth does not equal cruelty.

Back
Top Bottom