Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl65 View Post
She just follows him around licking and nibbling on his fingers. She is most interested in getting him to play with her and he does love to play with her but she is always herding him back close to the house. She is not aggressive in any way, just bothersome to him and annoying. He will be climbing up on things and she stops him. He will run and she follows. I actually like it to an extent as he is my wanderer, but want her to be a little more gentle about it. She will stop when I tell her no, she is really great about that. I am hoping a puppy will shift her focus a little bit.
The herding is characteristic of all shepherd dogs from my understanding. I have two dogs that are shepherd mixes, but the shepherd is diluted enough that its not an issue with them. I don't know how hard of a habit that will be to break her of since its something thats innate.

I'm a bit biased on the topic of more dogs. I have four myself (3 at my dads [maybe only 2, dad just moved up to a 50 acre property and hasn't seen the male for a couple weeks . . . ], and 1 at my moms). I don't think that more than one dog is necessarily more work unless they do not get along. I would have more if I could--if I thought I could get away with it, I would have a dog at college. . .

JessieVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
The funny thing is you will be playing with him/her and before you know it you are herded into a corner!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
My buddy has 7 dogs on 25 acres. He has a sister of 7, 4 brothers that are younger than him so like 8-18. They haven no problems. Largest dog is a Burmese Mountain dog and the smallest is a pug...lol.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

The herding instint will likely not be broken but I think I can teach her to be more gentle and not nip. I get after her when she does it to me...like she used to nip my pant leg when I was coming in the door....I told her no a few times and she stopped but now she will occasionally hug my leg with her front legs to try and get me to stay and play longer. She is really smart and learns quickly I am just finding that it is hard to be consistant in her training when the kids all do something different. My plan is to get us all together and train her together so that we can be consistant....I think it might actually be harder to train the kids...lol.
I haven't seen the pups yet....I bet if I went to see them it would push me over the fence. lol I think training two at once shouldn't be too hard either especially since Maggie has the basics down. (Sit come stay and NO )
Old 03-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lol. Sounds like a cute dog.

My spoiled one is pretty smart, we're working on teaching her to crawl. Right now she can sit, lay down, and shake. She doesn't know stay yet. . . but she knows go for a walk, outside, cookie, car, and bug (likes to eat them. . . so I thought it'd be useful to teach her the word. Except she doesn't eat crickets. . . *shrugs*).
Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

ACDs are one of the smartest and fastest learning dogs (I think German shepherds are supposed to be the "smartest"). They can learn after about 4-7 commands as opposed to a basset hound at around 60-70 commands....Of course this is only according to the animals personality and the owner's commitment.
It's been a while since I did my research (about 7 years ago) so I might be off or they have found new data.
I agree, my ACD used his front paws very well, almost like a human, it truly amazed me!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 03-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Oh, Oh, Oh, I just remembered, were they all born white?

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 03-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Kinda off topic from original post--but I think my dog might be ACD (I'm assuming this is short for Austrlian cattle dog) . . . Its hard to tell though, because if she is part ACD then she'd be an 1/2 ACD and 1/2 lab/australian shepherd mix.

Best of luck retraining the dog to be more gentle, btw! And best of luck with the new puppy if you decide to get it!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
ACDs are one of the smartest and fastest learning dogs (I think German shepherds are supposed to be the "smartest"). They can learn after about 4-7 commands as opposed to a basset hound at around 60-70 commands....Of course this is only according to the animals personality and the owner's commitment.
It's been a while since I did my research (about 7 years ago) so I might be off or they have found new data.
I agree, my ACD used his front paws very well, almost like a human, it truly amazed me!
Just curious is the English Mastiff lowest on the list for being the smartest I took my dog to a 6week training program cost like 150 dollars. I learned a lot like not to use the word NO because its too general and they don't understand it as much they just understand your upset tone of voice and thats why they respond to it. If you use specific words like lay down, come, Sit, Shake, Easy, etc... and when the dog does the right thing you pet the dog and praise by saying good easy, or good sit. I put a lot of effort into training my mastiff before I realized she is probably the most stubborn and dumbest big hearted dog on the planet and will probably never be able to get her to be obedient unless I quit working and make it a full time job. And being forcefull does nothing because its like pushing at a brick wall. If she doesn't want to move she won't move unless theres food involved. But I guess thats why we love her?
Bottom line is simple really If you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to teaching and Praising your dog don't get one. They need much more attention than people usually give especially the first year. If you can get your kids trained to train your dog than I am sure it will be a success.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah I am thinking I should concentrate more on the one dog I do have than adding a puppy into the mix. Everytime I go outside with Maggie I realize that I need to spend more attention on her and training the kids to train her with me. I think if I master that then I can decide if we want another pup.

She is a really awesome dog with loads of potential, so her training will be my spring/summer project...or rather starting the real training will be the project.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com