What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Installed a new canister filter. It was the first time I had ever ordered anything so big through the post so I went for a cheaper version. Kind of regretted that a bit when I started filling the filter from the tank and couldn't get the hose valves to shut. The position of the hoses didn't help I guess. Anyways it's all set up and running fine.

Cleaned the fish tank and one of the rosy barbs got sucked into the gravel vac. Sigh. Got fish out and seems ok. I think it is a female and I don't have many so fingers crossed but swimming around well this morning.

Added a slate and tied some java moss on it.
My first fishtank build!

Attachments

• image-2288750863.jpg
    image-2288750863.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 83
I'm really excited today.

My sister informed me yesterday that a 20G tank had come into the salvation army shop where she volunteers. I was going to be happy to get that for under $40. It was in good condition but dirty so i decided it was mine now if they would do that kind of deal. They were still opening up the shop so i kept hunting as i had previously noticed a 5G tank that i thought she hadn't mentioned.

By the time i had scoured the shop I had found.
- 2x20G tanks @ $5 each (1 ugly home made tank which i will maybe put inside a cabinet to hide the ugly corners)
- $20 flourescent light which fits directly over either 20G tank. I could have gotten the light for $10 with my sisters store discount but it's for charity and i thought it was already cheap so i paid happily.
- 2x matching 5G tanks. both dirty but with no chips.
- A bag containing 5kg of small river stone (costs about $16 at my LFS for 10kg) some activated carbon and filter fittings (which i have to learn how to use) plus $15-$30 worth of pre-made aquarium caves and tunnels.

I'll have to build stands to house my new collection. Not a bad days worth of shopping though. I have plans to set up a mini aquaponics system to grow strawberries and maybe something else sweet with one tank. I may convert my spare room into a fish room/greenhouse. It's good that i picked up the tanks cheaply because by the time i get my tanks planted, filtered, heated and supplied with fish it will get expensive. But it's nice to have extra options now. I will create a thread when i have a plan for my new equipment.

Turned on my lights today to find out that one of my pristellas had abandoned ship in the middle of the night. It was dried and crusty on the floor.

Turned on my lights today to find out that one of my pristellas had abandoned ship in the middle of the night. It was dried and crusty on the floor.

Sorry to hear :( going out to buy that 40lb piece of dry rock i like, its gonna be the center piece rock of the new tank! Also about to flush my RODI system. How long would you guys recommend

I moved my 60x30 puffer tank to its new home in my fish house. I moved my 60x30 tetra tank to its new place in the fish house, that's three out of four, last one goes in tomorrow, then i can start building my reef system. Hurrah.

I cleaned up the 55 finally. I've been meaning to do it the last few days. I flipped over some of the rocks that had some algae, thinned the hornwort and removed a piece if driftwood. Cleaned the glass and all that too. The tank looks very pretty again and big meanie is happy to have more swimming room. :)

Im running behind on all my maintence but i have topped off evaporation in my tanks and cleared out some dying plant pieces waiting for the new growth to come in .. i have several with new lil shoots sprouting :)

My moms tank is coming along well for the most part .. got her salt water test kit in and all levels are perfect so thats good.. ordering shipping bags to rehome the niger trigger and her chocolate chip starfish should be in this week..

Found out our local salt water store is under new management and is setting up shop again (didnt know it was even closed) and petco is also building a store so thatll give me 3 places to get supplies from without having to order online or drive 2+hrs ;)

Cleaned out the skimming box on the 37g, found alot of good muck and algea, but now its sparkling clean :) been working on the stand for the 60g cube, finished the doors and working on the side panels

image-32026916.jpg

Drip acclimated a school of 5 beckford's pencilfish and added them to the 20. They might put me a little overstocked, but I have a good water change regimen and have a back up plan i.e. mom's 10 gallon if things don't work out. They seem to be enjoying there new home. They love to play in the Christmas moss and lacy Java fern that are on one of my pieces of driftwood.

Siphoned bottom of 20g and 29g and did 50%wc also redecorated frgured out what to do with xtra suction cups and pieces broke from fake plants . I put them on side of tanks like you wiuld a betta leafe lol guppies r checking it out I'd would post pic but I exceed my quota :(

Siphoned bottom of 20g and 29g and did 50%wc also redecorated frgured out what to do with xtra suction cups and pieces broke from fake plants . I put them on side of tanks like you wiuld a betta leafe lol guppies r checking it out I'd would post pic but I exceed my quota :(

Become a supporter! It lets you have unlimited pics and alot of other things

Where is that at? I'm not usually on mail site.. Do you have a link. I never order fish because shipping is way to much for me

Thinking about upgrading my 20 high to a 20 long. I'm not sure though.

Back
Top Bottom