What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headed to get some new inhabitants for the preschool tank, som additional ADF. And they tried ordering a Dwarf Orange Crayfish. Ut didn't come in for a few weeks.

Aslo offered her the Fluval Spec V 5G tank.

Was offered a pair of Betta Macrostoma aka Big Mouth Betta or Brunei Betta they are very expensive and hard to come by unless your friend's are breeding. He wants a culture of my Roly Pollies. The fish can be $100-200 a pair. I agreed. They like very low pH. And I'm reading up on them, I am scared I could kill them!

The other exciting thing is our CAS speaker coming up is Frank from Franks Betta's. Very wonderful guy who has a big presence on social media and helps wild Betta populations to continue, when many native areas are poisoned, or covered and built on/ destroyed
I had looked into those at one point. If I remember correctly they prefer a blackwater setup with low ph.
I had dwarf orange crayfish at one point. Fun little things. Thought about doing the blue ones at some point in the future.

Best of luck with the new bettas!

Yeah, I think the angels because of the number, would do better in the 125g. The 90 would be plenty for an Oscar or an Oscar and maybe a pair of smaller cichlids like a firemouth or convict. Give them caves. I really like the albino ones too
Thanks for the feedback!

Hoping so. Thanks for the input and good wishes fish friends! I am trying to decide which tank to use and what to set up. I plan to check my leaves and wood selections, atm, can't recall what I did with them. There should be Guava black and green leaves IAL, banana plus I have Oak, Cottonwood, Ash and Maple from the yard I use for the Isopods, 99% the other one is Jackfruit.

Ordered the dried leaves from Jungle Aqua Shrimp who here at AA is Junglefowl. Just noticed he has some new leaves Cinnamon and Mulberry!!! Earlier since I ordered I didn't use too many. Since I don't recall which container I put these in when I got rid of the cabinet they were always stored in (for years!!!!!) Must also be time to clean out my storage room.

Preschool teacher is measuring tomorrow to see if the Spec V is going to fit.

Been super busy away from home most all days these 2 weeks. This morning though I checked all the tanks and water filled and still feeding the medicated fish food. The fish gobble it up. Still a little surprised but they seem okay. I will try to post the pics of the other Betta that I ordered in, a couple weeks back.

This is the recent Betta ordered from in the United States, but I believe it's parents are was imported. They did a really good job and the fish is beautiful.

60074-albums14728-picture72779.jpg

60074-albums14728-picture72778.jpg

This you can see his color better it is like a bright steely Blue. PM me if you want the Breeder info.
60074-albums14728-picture72777.jpg

This is the recent Betta ordered from in the United States, but I believe it's parents are was imported. They did a really good job and the fish is beautiful.

60074-albums14728-picture72779.jpg

60074-albums14728-picture72778.jpg

This you can see his color better it is like a bright steely Blue. PM me if you want the Breeder info.
60074-albums14728-picture72777.jpg
Absolutely beautiful I love the blue rimmed bettas.
I have one that is basically the opposite of being blue with white edges but not as good a quality as yours.
Beautiful. [emoji3590]

If I can't find something I've moved recently, I have a running joke with my wife that I "put it somewhere i can find it easy". She told me the other day, you need to quit putting things where you can find them easy, so you can find them. [emoji2369]

Absolutely beautiful I love the blue rimmed bettas.
I have one that is basically the opposite of being blue with white edges but not as good a quality as yours.
Beautiful. [emoji3590]

Thank you!

Most of these are pretty expensive, this one was 28 (lfs box store their fish can be $20 and lfs any types are appx $50-60) when most others basically perfect pattern are 60-80ish.

Plus I haven't seen any around in lfs. There are only a few colors /patterns I would buy a Betta for since I have no room available, :angel: And of all things Bingo! there he was, and snapped him up.

He was from a larger batch of similar color and pattern fish maybe 6 looked this good and there are tons of females, some very nice and some with splotches and grizzle.

Although he isn't a perfect specimen (small pattern errors), he is pretty gorgeous and yes I love him. Try not to fall in love immediately since sometimes they do not make it through the transition phase. He is presently in the Fluval Spec V "QT" doing well. (the offered preschool tank).

So he will have to move probably to the wine glass tank. Which means need to move some Endlers and Guppies out to make some room.

He's finally getting the hang of eating pellets in faster water flow.

I feel pretty darn fortunate to have found him!

On a different note, probably moving soon and need to off load some tanks and fish...:eek:

Ever get afraid to tare something down because it's growing and you don't want to kill it?
That's me right now with the 5 gal tanks. I have two spec V I need to resape and freshen up. I was going to buy new tanks but..... Money. The big tank project is taking more than I planned.

So not I must deside what I'm going to do. I'm thinking since I will be moving them side by side I want to keep the same substrates but change up the scapes and plants. Also need to decide on if I'm going to keep the cherry barbs together with the bettas or sperate them.

I have a school of Cherrys in one of my tanks because the tank they was in started leaking and I had nowhere else to put them at the time. Then I never fixed a new place because they did so well with the betta in the spec V.

20210209_233822.jpg
This is that tank.
Please look over it, I know the moss has got out of control and the algea is rough.

I could place the barbs in the big tank but I know if I do that I will probably never catch them all again.

Ever get afraid to tare something down because it's growing and you don't want to kill it?
That's me right now with the 5 gal tanks. I have two spec V I need to rescape and freshen up. I was going to buy new tanks but..... Money. The big tank project is taking more than I planned.

So not I must deside what I'm going to do. I'm thinking since I will be moving them side by side I want to keep the same substrates but change up the scapes and plants. Also need to decide on if I'm going to keep the cherry barbs together with the bettas or sperate them.

I have a school of Cherrys in one of my tanks because the tank they was in started leaking and I had nowhere else to put them at the time. Then I never fixed a new place because they did so well with the betta in the spec V.

View attachment 319706
This is that tank.
Please look over it, I know the moss has got out of control and the algea is rough.

I could place the barbs in the big tank but I know if I do that I will probably never catch them all again.

You could catch them with an XL dark or black net plus a second net for shooing them in the direction you want seems to help too. After taking out all the rocks woods and other things which might get in the way.

I got pretty good after having to move and catch about 1500-2000 Guppies, Endlers ( and picking out the males from the females :facepalm: ) and other groups of fish playing musical tanks and capturing to go to new homes, after catching them to move to different tanks :blink:

You could set the two tanks together and create a landscape style which goes from one tank through the other and looks like it is just separated by the glass walls.

I have the same issue with not tearing down my 12G Edge I got a new tank and of course the glass part of the tank. I switched over all the parts new one is white (the stand is white) and still keeping the old glass tank on the new white one. (old 12G was black). I have yet to set up the new 12G glass tank because the old one is doing very well with the plants. It's been 7 months. :ermm: Soon......................................... not!

Had to put the tube back in again on one of the pumps on the 80G. Hoping to actually remember to check the hose size and get/ make fit a new set.

The fish seem a bit annoyed that they aren't getting the wider variety of foods like they normally eat. I did give them some extra goodies :angel:

Preschool teacher forgot to measure the spot, will do tomorrow.

Knocking on wood, but the 80G sick fish seems just fine after the second day he was okay looking. Need to do the extra pwc tomorrow.

And pick up a few more frogs. The store employee didn't know what fish they got in and asked for me to call back and talk with the person who orders fish (big box store) I got busy and forgot to call. I will just go there if they don't know tomorrow.

Last edited:
You could catch them with an XL dark or black net plus a second net for shooing them in the direction you want seems to help too. After taking out all the rocks woods and other things which might get in the way.

I got pretty good after having to move and catch about 1500-2000 Guppies, Endlers ( and picking out the males from the females :facepalm: ) and other groups of fish playing musical tanks and capturing to go to new homes, after catching them to move to different tanks :blink:

You could set the two tanks together and create a landscape style which goes from one tank through the other and looks like it is just separated by the glass walls.

I have the same issue with not tearing down my 12G Edge I got a new tank and of course the glass part of the tank. I switched over all the parts new one is white (the stand is white) and still keeping the old glass tank on the new white one. (old 12G was black). I have yet to set up the new 12G glass tank because the old one is doing very well with the plants. It's been 7 months. :ermm: Soon......................................... not!

Had to put the tube back in again on one of the pumps on the 80G. Hoping to actually remember to check the hose size and get/ make fit a new set.

The fish seem a bit annoyed that they aren't getting the wider variety of foods like they normally eat. I did give them some extra goodies :angel:

Preschool teacher forgot to measure the spot, will do tomorrow.

Knocking on wood, but the 80G sick fish seems just fine after the second day he was okay looking. Need to do the extra pwc tomorrow.

And pick up a few more frogs. The store employee didn't know what fish they got in and asked for me to call back and talk with the person who orders fish (big box store) I got busy and forgot to call. I will just go there if they don't know tomorrow.
I could try that. They don't really belong in that tank.
I've considered getting guppies for the last couple of years. I've not had any since I was little. Over 20 years ago.
Screenshot_20210210-012657_eBay.jpg
I really like the look of these.

I could try that. They don't really belong in that tank.
I've considered getting guppies for the last couple of years. I've not had any since I was little. Over 20 years ago.
View attachment 319709
I really like the look of these.

Those are really gorgeous!!!!!!!

~~~~~

Working on my house is taking up all my days! :ermm: This morning I did my long over due planting of cactus and succulents. Said to the new Betta how beautiful he is and that hes going to get moved to a new tank soon. I planned to do the water changes on the Spec V Betta tank, but the plants got all my time.

Tonight I peaked into the forest terrarium and found the Hydrocotyle tripartita ‘Japan’ start I added had really taken off. I have a jar of it, from a tissue culture, growing for a year and a half I think.

The little start is gorgeous. I think I will plant the other part in the jar so it gets healthier looking. It's pale, sitting on some old Amazonia and no ferts. I had planned to make some wabi-kusa, but back at the time, I couldn't get the rest of the plants I was looking for so just stuck it in the jar. It had a zillion flowers last year, nearly invisible, they are so tiny.

Also recently found Brazilian Pennywort (Hydrocotyle leucocephala) grown in soil and brought it home. It keeps wilting without near daily water but pops back up the next day after it gets some.

I will need to check the previous posts to see when I started feeding the medicated food but I am pretty sure their time is up.

Thinking of running out to Boulder lfs to see if they still have my Chili Rasboras looking for 12, they sent an email they were back in stock a few days ago, but they sometimes don't get to many and they sell out fast.

Also to pick up some cork bark for my Isopods and the group I will be delivering for the Betta pair. I have 2 groups moving on, the other one is for a low price sale, basically just for the substrate and food. I think that will be the bulk of them as there are 2 small 15 Isopod cultures still and the small rectangle glass vase I started with, I am keeping.

This frees up more space for moving the 5G cube shrimp tank back to the plant table and away from the sink :flowers:

It will be time for some consolidating fish and deleting 2 tanks after I finish painting two last rooms and put the new base boards in. Then putting together the new glass part of the tank for the updated 12G Edge.

It's a wonder I am tired all the time. ;)

Oh the Mandarin Dragonet is begging for food. Special foods for the Prince of the SW tank, frozen Cyclops and / or Rotifers, need to buy more of those.

Last edited:
Those are really gorgeous!!!!!!!

~~~~~

Working on my house is taking up all my days! :ermm: This morning I did my long over due planting of cactus and succulents. Said to the new Betta how beautiful he is and that hes going to get moved to a new tank soon. I planned to do the water changes on the Spec V Betta tank, but the plants got all my time.

Tonight I peaked into the forest terrarium and found the Hydrocotyle tripartita ‘Japan’ start I added had really taken off. I have a jar of it, from a tissue culture, growing for a year and a half I think.

The little start is gorgeous. I think I will plant the other part in the jar so it gets healthier looking. It's pale, sitting on some old Amazonia and no ferts. I had planned to make some wabi-kusa, but back at the time, I couldn't get the rest of the plants I was looking for so just stuck it in the jar. It had a zillion flowers last year, nearly invisible, they are so tiny.

Also recently found Brazilian Pennywort (Hydrocotyle leucocephala) grown in soil and brought it home. It keeps wilting without near daily water but pops back up the next day after it gets some.

I will need to check the previous posts to see when I started feeding the medicated food but I am pretty sure their time is up.

Thinking of running out to Boulder lfs to see if they still have my Chili Rasboras looking for 12, they sent an email they were back in stock a few days ago, but they sometimes don't get to many and they sell out fast.

Also to pick up some cork bark for my Isopods and the group I will be delivering for the Betta pair. I have 2 groups moving on, the other one is for a low price sale, basically just for the substrate and food. I think that will be the bulk of them as there are 2 small 15 Isopod cultures still and the small rectangle glass vase I started with, I am keeping.

This frees up more space for moving the 5G cube shrimp tank back to the plant table and away from the sink :flowers:

It will be time for some consolidating fish and deleting 2 tanks after I finish painting two last rooms and put the new base boards in. Then putting together the new glass part of the tank for the updated 12G Edge.

It's a wonder I am tired all the time. ;)

Oh the Mandarin Dragonet is begging for food. Special foods for the Prince of the SW tank, frozen Cyclops and / or Rotifers, need to buy more of those.
Do you have any pictures of the terrarium? It sounds awesome!

So for Christmas, we made terrariums or mini gardens 1 person was a forest style in a Fluval Edge 6.6G, then I did one too because there was so much extra materials, a succulent version and a moss container (mine), plus a regular terrarium.

As there was even more plant material, 2 more people, friends of a family member also got to make some. (I bought a lot (y))

Yes the yellow green orange Philodendron technically isn't a forest plant but does brighten the jar. It is a 6.5 inch wide 8 inch tall cylinder vase with a old kitchen container glass top gleaned /purchased from Goodwill. With temperate Springtails and Powder Orange Isopods.

60074-albums12102-picture72783.jpg

60074-albums12102-picture72782.jpg

60074-albums12102-picture72781.jpg

60074-albums12102-picture72780.jpg

60074-albums12102-picture72785.jpg

British Soldier Lichen
Cushion Moss
Feather Moss
Partridge Berry
Pixie Cup Cladonia
Shining Club Moss
Jewel Orchid Downy Rattlesnake Plantain
Fan Club Moss

Turtle moss container
60074-albums12102-picture72784.jpg

Album of jars and container plants with some details in the description
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60074-albums12102.html

Last edited:
So for Christmas, we made terrariums or mini gardens 1 person was a forest style in a Fluval Edge 6.6G, then I did one too because there was so much extra materials, a succulent version and a moss container (mine), plus a regular terrarium.

As there was even more plant material, 2 more people, friends of a family member also got to make some. (I bought a lot (y))

Yes the yellow green orange Philodendron technically isn't a forest plant but does brighten the jar. It is a 6.5 inch wide 8 inch tall cylinder vase with a old kitchen container glass top gleaned /purchased from Goodwill. With temperate Springtails and Powder Orange Isopods.

60074-albums12102-picture72783.jpg

60074-albums12102-picture72782.jpg

60074-albums12102-picture72781.jpg

60074-albums12102-picture72780.jpg

60074-albums12102-picture72785.jpg

Turtle moss container
60074-albums12102-picture72784.jpg

Album of jars and container plants with some details in the description
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60074-albums12102.html
Very cool! I like the little mini gardens.

Early Valentines Day - Dozen red Boraras Brigittae! :smitten:

Got 2 new ADF and 2 new CPO Dwarf Mexican Orange Crayfish.

1 CPO is for me. The other and ADF are for the preschool tank. I may get the tank switching done tomorrow.

I got a used AquaClear 50 for $5 abunch of cork chunks, and way too many little decorative tank rocks. They had a HUGE variety, it was lots of fun picking out different ones.

Rose quartz, white quartz, travertine, Ohko, Seiryu, coral "stones", petrified stone, Spiritite (wonderstone), Jasper chunks, banded Agate, bits and pieces of some things, but a normally large amount of the typical stones. I love a good rock!

Early Valentines Day - Dozen red Boraras Brigittae! :smitten:

Got 2 new ADF and 2 new CPO Dwarf Mexican Orange Crayfish.

1 CPO is for me. The other and ADF are for the preschool tank. I may get the tank switching done tomorrow.

I got a used AquaClear 50 for $5 abunch of cork chunks, and way too many little decorative tank rocks. They had a HUGE variety, it was lots of fun picking out different ones.

Rose quartz, white quartz, travertine, Ohko, Seiryu, coral "stones", petrified stone, Spiritite (wonderstone), Jasper chunks, banded Agate, bits and pieces of some things, but a normally large amount of the typical stones. I love a good rock!
Sounds like a good haul you got there.

Well I think I'm going to do it tonight. I'm going to tare the Spec Vs down and re-do them. Wish me luck.
I live late night tank work lol [emoji23] I am crazy.

Back
Top Bottom