What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long did you have the Sterbai. What do you think it could be?

I am so sorry about your babies.

It was the last of my original 4 julii Cory cats who died. I've had them for 6 months. I'm not sure what it died from. My water is in check. It was in with 2 Bolivian rams, so if my water was bad, im sure the rams would be the first to show symptoms. This is the first fish that I've lost from the 29 gallon in around 10 months, so I'm not really sure. It could have been old age.

Keeping Corydoras

Hello Tetra...

Corys are very sensative to changes in the water chemistry and require pure water conditions. If you don't change large amounts of tank water and change it weekly, Corys will have a much shorter life. They don't tolerate even slightly higher nitrate levels in the water.

Sand is the preferred substrate, but I've kept Corys in pea sized, polished gravel, in low light tanks for almost 10 years with no problems. My older "little cats" are coming up on five years old.

I use a little standard aquarium salt in my Cory tanks, about a teaspoon in every five gallons of new, treated tap water. It's been my experience with Corydoras that a small bit of salt added to the tank helps maintain a strong immune system.

I feed only frozen foods and a little minced garlic. The frozen foods have no additives and the garlic is high in vitamins and a natural antibiotic.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Hello Tetra...

Corys are very sensative to changes in the water chemistry and require pure water conditions. If you don't change large amounts of tank water and change it weekly, Corys will have a much shorter life. They don't tolerate even slightly higher nitrate levels in the water.

Sand is the preferred substrate, but I've kept Corys in pea sized, polished gravel, in low light tanks for almost 10 years with no problems. My older "little cats" are coming up on five years old.

I use a little standard aquarium salt in my Cory tanks, about a teaspoon in every five gallons of new, treated tap water. It's been my experience with Corydoras that a small bit of salt added to the tank helps maintain a strong immune system.

I feed only frozen foods and a little minced garlic. The frozen foods have no additives and the garlic is high in vitamins and a natural antibiotic.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Thanks for this info! I have sand for this particular tank. I change 50% at least once a week. I think I may have found the problem. I checked my heater and it was up to 85 and my temp strip on the glass confirmed this. I normally keep the water at 76. You feed garlic? Like minced or slices?

Feeding Garlic

Hello again Tetra...

I feed just a little minced garlic. I drop about a teaspoon or so into the tank every few weeks. The Corydoras aren't so much veggie eaters, but they'll taste just about anything. A company by the name of "Spice World" has a good product. Of course, there are many others, just check the contents. You just want the minced cloves and nothing else added.

B

I woke up this morning to find one of my baby betta swimming erratically, it then did a loop landed upside down gasping at the bottom of the tank. Set up an emergency 1g with warm water a single aquarium salt grain and bettafix and drip acclimated him. Appears to be doing fine now and he looks like he's growing. I say he, but I'm not sure yet- too young or sick to be interested in breeding. I have a pair of juvenile betta that are showing signs of the mating ritual (beautiful colors with zebra stripes) so I have them next to each other with a leaf on the top to see if one will build a bubble nest. Rearranged rocks, did a 10g water change on my 40g and removed cyano build up from part of my back glass where it had been hidden by a rock and removed some detritus from the sand. Caught a runaway female fiddler crab. Broke down and set back up my other 2g for a growing baby female that isn't quite ready to breed. Set up a 10g bucket for potential eggs. Still have to check my large paradise gourami over to see why she is bloated (I have a feeling she's constipated from eating too much mysis, gotta love my cats for that one). I am thinking getting an acrylic top for my 10g fw planted and a secondary purple actinic to go with my moonlight LED, I have to go get ferts anyway, so I might as well look into it, and I'm searching craigslist for a good deal on a second reef lamp for my 10g nano and a 5g biotopic cube to use as a planted shrimp tank- I want to go amano style, or maybe Dutch, trying to make up my mind.

I woke up this morning to find one of my baby betta swimming erratically, it then did a loop landed upside down gasping at the bottom of the tank. Set up an emergency 1g with warm water a single aquarium salt grain and bettafix and drip acclimated him. Appears to be doing fine now and he looks like he's growing. I say he, but I'm not sure yet- too young or sick to be interested in breeding. I have a pair of juvenile betta that are showing signs of the mating ritual (beautiful colors with zebra stripes) so I have them next to each other with a leaf on the top to see if one will build a bubble nest. Rearranged rocks, did a 10g water change on my 40g and removed cyano build up from part of my back glass where it had been hidden by a rock and removed some detritus from the sand. Caught a runaway female fiddler crab. Broke down and set back up my other 2g for a growing baby female that isn't quite ready to breed. Set up a 10g bucket for potential eggs. Still have to check my large paradise gourami over to see why she is bloated (I have a feeling she's constipated from eating too much mysis, gotta love my cats for that one). I am thinking getting an acrylic top for my 10g fw planted and a secondary purple actinic to go with my moonlight LED, I have to go get ferts anyway, so I might as well look into it, and I'm searching craigslist for a good deal on a second reef lamp for my 10g nano and a 5g biotopic cube to use as a planted shrimp tank- I want to go amano style, or maybe Dutch, trying to make up my mind.

So, in a nutshell, you had a busy day;)

Started setting up my new 36 gallon bow front saltwater setup I got off craigslist. all I need to do is add salt tomorrow and I was told all the dead small carcasses will start my cycle. I really wish the guy wouldn't have drained it and killed them :-(

ForumRunner_20130118_201707.jpg

Started setting up my new 36 gallon bow front saltwater setup I got off craigslist. all I need to do is add salt tomorrow and I was told all the dead small carcasses will start my cycle. I really wish the guy wouldn't have drained it and killed them :-(

Wait he killed all the fish?! Your adding salt to the tank or your mixing salt?

I'd pre mix
I also would clean out the dead snails and stuff
rather than trying to fix someone elses mess
I like clean starts otherwise you never know what road blocks you'll hit in the process
I bet that smells like roses lol

I put the dead snails back in he drained the tank and had one bucket with sand and one with rock and snail shells. Figured I would use them to stay my cycle

The tank was drained. The guy was shipping off to boot camp and he was trying to sell it and he couldn't and so he drained it and put the rock and snails in a bucket and the sand in another. I had to do a, lot of cleaning everything had a thick hard white layer

Back
Top Bottom