What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My C3 stopped working for no reason. After spending hours on YouTube trying to figure out what was wrong, I gave up, pulled the impeller out, stuck it back in, and tried again.
It worked perfectly. :lol:

Dang, tough learning experience, at least you probably know EVERYthing else there is to know about the C3, hahaha - at least it works. I always seem to find the tiny MTS that got in the impeller area and as they grow somehow they get around it but eventually the impeller stops spinning, my most common one is if the breaker goes out and it doesn't restart there's a snail in there!!!

~~~
My AC 110 is starting to make noises and I need to get it cleaned out pretty soon.

Got out of work a little early and was able togo look for my SW and Clown Loaches. Apparently the storms disrupted deliveries, called 5 or 6 different box stores and 2 lfs and none had any CL but the store where they were 2" for 12.99 each had a few! Not intending to spend that right now for one.

Drove out of my way to go to the SW lfs with the really good SW but seems they changed their schedule and are not only closed on Tuesday but now also on Wednesday - SURPRISE!!! didn't know that!!!

Then went to Boulder once again out of my way. Found that the store that usually has live Brine Shrimp didn't :facepalm: But I asked if I bought 3 CL could I get a special price. They guy said they usually do that so I was able to get 3 for 25. instead of 9.99 each.

They were about 3.5 and 4" the ones I picked. I think I got 2 females and one male. I think...

The guy didn't know how to catch fish very well so it took him quite a bit of manuvering and I am hoping hte stress of it all wasn't too much for the little guys!!!

I wish o wish I could put them right into the tank but I better not. So into QT they go!!!

While in the bone yard section at the other lfs I searched for a hood light for the 29G but no luck - lots of 24" no 30". Found a bunch of interesting things, most noteably some amazing big chunks of Okho /Dragon Stone, really nice big beautiful pieces.

Oh yeah, no SW 5G totes, No SW to take home, will be there tomorrow says the owner - but I won't be :(

Last edited:
My snails are still laying eggs. I'm gonna be shipping snails for Christmas...HO HO HO.

And here's a shrimp snail surfing. IMG_1643.jpg

Newbie here! So my latest project is my new 36G bowfront. I am in a period of transition since I am starting from (near) scratch. Finished up my final dose of Seachem Stability so I decided to do a surface cleaning/pwc. Trimmed the melt off my lonely amazon sword and sadly discovered a deceased albino bristlenosed pleco :(. Everyone else seems to be living it up though. Got my watertest kit in the mail (woo!) and ran my parameters.

Sold 100 snails on eBay in 4 days.... building insulated boxes tonight. They'll be going to the post office on Monday. I'll probably wait a month before listing again. Lots of work.

Ordered some fish food. Trying out Ken's Premium Color Max Flakes (lots of positive Amazon reviews). A half pound of flakes is a lot of food:
ZZkBDXY.jpg
Banana and quarter for scale.
Tried it out with my nano fish and the mosquito fish outside. Acceptance was okay to meh. Some spat it out and ate them again. Their normal food (which I still plenty of) is NLS Premium Flakes. Kind of surprising for the mosquito fish as I only feed them once a week at best. They need to fatten up before winter. Going to give it a few more tries.

Ordered some fish food. Trying out Ken's Premium Color Max Flakes (lots of positive Amazon reviews). A half pound of flakes is a lot of food:
ZZkBDXY.jpg
Banana and quarter for scale.
Tried it out with my nano fish and the mosquito fish outside. Acceptance was okay to meh. Some spat it out and ate them again. Their normal food (which I still plenty of) is NLS Premium Flakes. Kind of surprising for the mosquito fish as I only feed them once a week at best. They need to fatten up before winter. Going to give it a few more tries.

This must be why I always see a couple guys at out CAS auctions selling little platic tubs of this flake food, Earthworm, and then the red stuff and the green stuff, and then the mixed too. HUGE flakes of Kens stuff. That looks like soooo much food! WOW!

That is an unusual pattern and green stripes?

~~~~~~~
Worked on setting up a battery back up for some stuff for the house. This got me asking the other half about running the fish tanks and he assured me we could start looking asap for another back up for the tanks, although he thought that the one we have would accomodate the tanks I plan to have in the future (and now for that matter).

I like the auto turn on option and will be working toward getting this set up in the coming months.

NOW if I could JUST get the filters to restart.

Today was the SW 6.6G that didn't restart and noticed after about an hour and a half the 12G next to it was rolling perfectly. If it was conected to a battery back up, it wouldn't suffer from a stop in the first place and consequently not end up with a non-restart.

So if it doesn't ever stop - no problems, hahaha.

Doing some more planning for how and what configurations for the upcoming room and tank changes.

Update on the new food: more meh than yum. Lots of pickiness; I guess they got used to the NLS Premium Flakes. Going to continue give them both and see if they take to it. Kind of wondering if the earthworm, bbs, or other flavors would be more appealing.

This must be why I always see a couple guys at out CAS auctions selling little platic tubs of this flake food, Earthworm, and then the red stuff and the green stuff, and then the mixed too. HUGE flakes of Kens stuff. That looks like soooo much food! WOW!
It is a lot. Wonder if their selling it because of the volume or because their fish won't eat it.
My RH show the same chalky markings on their shell. Perhaps a mineral deficiency?

Usually I do not use flakes. The earthworm sounded interesting.

Irritating filter wouldn't restart again when someone in the house was messing around with the cords idnk for sure but for sure it didn't restart on the same aforementioned tank, looks like cleanout for tomorrow and likely just order a new one or 2.

Usually I do not use flakes. The earthworm sounded interesting.

Irritating filter wouldn't restart again when someone in the house was messing around with the cords idnk for sure but for sure it didn't restart on the same aforementioned tank, looks like cleanout for tomorrow and likely just order a new one or 2.

What do you feed your nano fish?
I used to get that with my HOBs but since I've added foam prefilters (for the shrimp) it does not happen anymore.

~~~~~~~.

This was a lot of camera oddness. When I looked at the snail it was more of a grey blue cast. No green. But the swirling was awesome.

My RH show the same chalky markings on their shell. Perhaps a mineral deficiency?

I'm not sure? Some of the ones in this tank have golden yellow tinted shells that are smooth and shiny and some are a white and smooth and shiny and some have a chalky finish. They're all in the same tank and eating the same food. I wonder if its genetic?

Decided this weekend I would dedicate to fixing up my tank. Or at least improving the quality of life for my fishes. I checked my parameters again and saw my tank was doing something at least with regards to cycling. (y) Drove around to 5 different pet stores looking for maybe a fish or two or some plants. I guess shipments haven't come in this week because everyone was bare.

Anyways, I did manage to score some skunk cories aka the spazzyfish that keeps my kitten entertained. I did an typical newbie thing and bought 2 plants from the P store that should not be named. (Read: Didn't do the research until I got home and said "Aquatic Combo" is a typical houseplant and NOT an aquatic plant.) Debating if I should keep it and plant the stinkers in a suction cup planter and have the leaves hang out of the tank, stick them in my aerogarden, or go :agrue: and return them. Kinda annoyed but I do like them as houseplants.

What do you feed your nano fish?
I used to get that with my HOBs but since I've added foam prefilters (for the shrimp) it does not happen anymore.

I use Edge prefilter sponges on almost every HOB. I don't happen to have one on the nano fish tank atm, because they were all dirty and I had wanted the tank to clear up and just never got back to adding it. Had got some of the bulk prefilter sponges from a friend who got them from ebay and shared them, they weren't up to the same longevity in terms of holding the shape and would cave in months before the edge ones would.

Those nano fish get a little of everything I may have 20 kinds of food. The main food is Hikari partially crushed with my fingers any foods which aren't very small. Micro Bites is the usual staple, but there is freeze dried Brine shrimp and (am allergic to blood worms and blackworms/tubifex). Frozen BBS, BS (and Live), Spirulina loaded BS, Mysis & Krill (cut up) and beefheart shaved off.

Have fed oyster feast. Occassional micro pearls. Omega reef green plastic bottle, Omega one mini fish pellets marine and Veggie Mini, Hikari Marine S. New life mini marine and something else with garlic.

Misc. foods made for shrimp.

Hikari Micro Bites once a day and usually something else in the evening.

Usually get frozen 1 time per week sometimes 2 / usually 1-3 kinds of frozen each time just depends on what I have.

LOL, you asked!!!

Anyways, I did manage to score some skunk cories aka the spazzyfish that keeps my kitten entertained. I did an typical newbie thing and bought 2 plants from the P store that should not be named. (Read: Didn't do the research until I got home and said "Aquatic Combo" is a typical houseplant and NOT an aquatic plant.) Debating if I should keep it and plant the stinkers in a suction cup planter and have the leaves hang out of the tank, stick them in my aerogarden, or go :agrue: and return them. Kinda annoyed but I do like them as houseplants.

Yeah, join the club, happens alot!!! I had tried the Bamboo because they had it in their tanks (nope)!!! I understand too, doing the research first is usually a better end result.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Cleaned out the cabinets of the fish tank stands and sorted organized and wiped off the stands and tanks including behind them.

Reorganized some wires, cords, plugs and air tubing. Put away a bunch which were disconnected but still in the jumble.

Working towards the new streamlined living room by cleaning and prepping the tank areas.

Bought some Hikari Sinking wafers, a new basic hydrometer/thermometer combo to double check my other one, and a new Edge prefilter sponge for the PRL tank.

Need to do something more with the 46G too much duckweed still needs to be cleaned out and it needs to get vac'd.

Will be going to get SW tomorrow, cleaned out one of the 5G totes and rinsed a couple more and am sanitizing pwc buckets and nets in bleach water over night.

Did 8G pwc on the 29G, had a dead Loach. Will do another clean out tomorrow.

Changed about 1/3rd in the 6.6G SW nano and the same in the macroalgae 6.6G Topped of RO water in the 12GSW.

Changed about 1.5G on the 12G Edge tank and fed the PRL shrimp.

Topped off water in the Turtle bowl the 5G Betta and the 72G FW and the 6.6G FW Edge nano fish tank and planted bowl.

My angelfish have laid eggs finally....! But on the filter [emoji853].
Is there anyway I can remove the eggs safely without disturbing them? If I leave there, they probably won't survive.

Attachments

• IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom