Algae - Help Identifying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

This is my first heavily planted tank and I've got an algae problem. Any advice on identifying the particular algae and a solution would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure I've got some BBA and I'm not certain what the rest of it is. It's a brown slime on the glass, ornaments and is covering at least 60% of my plants. It does not come off in sheets and the SAE's seem to like it, but the 10 of them aren't able to control it.

grass.jpg

junk.jpg

bba.jpg

60 gallon
4x 65 watt CF 6700k
CO2 - 24ppm
Milwaukee PH controller on the CO2 solenoid
18 Watt UV Sterilizer at night
Eco-complete substrate
bi-daily doses of Flourish

I don't have a phosphate test kit so I don't have any results on that, it's on order.

The KH is 16 degrees and pH is 7.3

Looks like diatoms to me. If it rubs off easily between your fingers then that's what it is. This is always the first algae to appear in new tanks and otocinclus have been used to control it. How long has that great looking tank been set up? :)

Hey Brian,

It's been about a month since this tank was set up. Diatoms eh? Well that's a new one to me. I'll get to researching on it. Thanks!

That's very normal in new tanks stumpey. Just rub it off with your fingers and then lightly pass your gravel vac over the surface. It's a good idea to keep on top of the maintenance now, before it gets out of hand. Usually this algae doesn't do well in brightly lit tanks.

could be 'brush algae' too...very short, more like rough velvet, and impossible to scrape off the leaves. diatoms should easily wipe off, but brush is stuck for good.

Really need to know:
tank size
lighting
co2? levels?
nitrates
phosphates

Ok, the good news is that the brown "junk" scrapes off nicely with a fingernail. So this should clear up on it's own?

I'll keep an eye on the stringy stuff from my third photo, it's starting to spread fast.

Thanks all for the advice!

-Pete

Diatoms usually disappear as the tank matures but manual removal is the best idea. Can't tell about the bba/staghorn because the pic is blurry and not well lit (better than my pics though!). If I HAD to guess, I'd go with bba. Remove all you see or bury it under more gravel.

Back
Top Bottom