Bert's 30G Planted adventure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this real life goldfish or plastic goldfish in with your plants???

Haha real ones! They were in a pond off my front deck. The owners of the house had them in there and the condition of it is horrible. I'm too lazy to look after a pond so the wife said I have to set up the 55

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

So I finished work and was bored so I decided I may as well get into the 55g. The gold fish are loving it! I'm actually looking forward to scaping this tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1477019818.304282.jpg

I see the towel, but where is the beer?

*most useful aquarium tools...*

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I see the towel, but where is the beer?

*most useful aquarium tools...*

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haha isn't that the truth!

I forgot to mention I'll be seeding the filter from my other 2 tanks so hoping for a instant cycle. Getting a heater and gravel on Monday :)

Nice tank! I had seen fancies kept with pots of val (I think - was some time ago). I can't recall any plants working with them but I was pretty random on the plants I bought.

Nice tank! I had seen fancies kept with pots of val (I think - was some time ago). I can't recall any plants working with them but I was pretty random on the plants I bought.

Ah awesome! The wife just wants plastic plants but now I've had real plants there is no way I can look at a tank with plastic ones haha ;)
I think I'll start with some crypts vals and anubias. See how they go. Once I trim my Java fern in the other tank I might try some of that too!

I've seen some nice silk ones come through but I think they still need some cleaning :( Sometimes tempted to try although I feel a bit of plant matter is good for their diet.

Skipped water change day today due to a massive hang over and I'm lazy. The pearl has been amazing today and my reds are finally starting to take off! HC is still being picked at by something and I can see much growth in it so far. I'll need to trim next weekend I recon! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1477213781.194716.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1477213800.412518.jpg

Ran into trouble with the new 55g it's been tripping my power out (well that's what I thought). Turns out it was my water pump for my house water. Connecting everything back up today and I've found my driftwood design for it.
Seeded the filter but the filter hasn't been running for 24 hours so no progress on the cycle.

Driftwood design I've picked out:
IMG_1477519545.560876.jpg

Ran into trouble with the new 55g it's been tripping my power out (well that's what I thought). Turns out it was my water pump for my house water. Connecting everything back up today and I've found my driftwood design for it.
Seeded the filter but the filter hasn't been running for 24 hours so no progress on the cycle.

Driftwood design I've picked out:
View attachment 290372

That's an awesome piece of driftwood you have there.

Haha isn't that the truth!

I forgot to mention I'll be seeding the filter from my other 2 tanks so hoping for a instant cycle. Getting a heater and gravel on Monday :)

No heater needed for Goldfish unless it's bitterly cold. Less oxygen in heated tanks.

GF do best with massive filtration. Think 4-10x volume of tank. Canisters or DIY work. Or Canister with a big HOB.

They can live with some plants. Part of the issue is they sift sand/gravel for food, so dig up plants.
Glue Anubias and Java Ferns or use pots hidden by rocks or fence in the plants with large smooth rocks. Don't use any gravel that can get stuck in their mouth. Small smooth gravel or sand works.

Feed them frozen/thawed/skinned green peas at least weekly.
Blanched veggies
Zucchini
Romaine
Carrots
Slice of Orange ( messy so just before a water change).

You can float Anubias to let them munch on that.

They will need a pond again. They get big FAST.
Comets and regular GF can hit 8-12" and live up to 20yrs. I think 37yrs was the record.

For now, big weekly or biweekly water changes.
They have great personalities and are rarely offered proper care. They thrive with good care.

Long term in a 55g you might be able to keep 2 ?

SolidGold on YouTube has lots of great GF info. She breeds Fancies but most of her care tips would cross over.

There are folks on here that do great with their GF also [emoji1360]

Thanks for taking them in !!!

Not looking to keep them long term to be honest. As they get bigger I'll be moving them on as I really don't like gold fish haha.

This 55 will become a full planted tank at some stage just not sure when.

Thanks caliban :) I just need to treat it before it goes in!

Trim day today! Cut back everything as it was all getting tangled up from the spray bar. Getting a lot of side shoots so hopefully the plants will start bushing abit!
Everything is looking good apart from the HC. Keeps getting dug out even with mesh holding them down. Just keeps making a mess around my tank!
I'm going to replace it with something else at some stage. Maybe some AR mini and ST repens!

So much wasted plants!

! IMG_1477807411.335852.jpgIMG_1477807425.801774.jpg

Fabulous tank!
I understand the waste. I ship out plants for next to nothing (or they end up in my QT). It's a part of process. But it makes for a cleaner looking, well kept tank.
Wish you were stateside. I have lots of AR mini and staur repens to move. Overcrowding.

Fabulous tank!
I understand the waste. I ship out plants for next to nothing (or they end up in my QT). It's a part of process. But it makes for a cleaner looking, well kept tank.
Wish you were stateside. I have lots of AR mini and staur repens to move. Overcrowding.

Thanks fresh! Yea I'm tempted to turn the 55g I just set up into a planted aswell and just grow more out and then sell them to the LFS or something. However I can't afford another co2 system and lighting haha.

I wish I was to! I'm really struggling to find them down here. A lot of places refuse to ship to me due to quarantine laws :(

So my inline diffuser clogged up again. Gave it a good bleach but it's still struggling to get going again.
So that brings me to my question. How often do people clean there inline diffusers and is it worth buying another to swap in while i clean the other? I soaked it in a 3-1 water to bleach solution and then rinsed and soaked it for 24 hours in water with a over kill of prime.

Normally it takes a few days to get back to full strength. Is this normal?

In other news the wife has decorated the 55g and its just finished cycling.
IMG_1478199519.633762.jpg

Money is tight at the moment so my dreams of it being planted is slipping away haha.

AR mini and ST repens arriving on Wednesday hopefully! Can't wait to cover the mid ground!

Stem plants are keeping me busy! Really happy with the rapid growth in my tank at the moment.

Abit of a shuffle is in order when the new plants arrive so I'm looking forward to getting my hands wet!

First pic is from 7 days ago
Second pic is the tank today.
IMG_1478504067.611776.jpg
IMG_1478504187.952567.jpg

I'm a sucker for some nice pearl too ;)
IMG_1478504231.436227.jpg

Also going to have a rescape of the 120g (just found out its 120g not 90g haha)Texas and dempsy have been fighting a fair bit laterly so I feel I need a few more hiding spots. Thinking a rock stack with some terracotta pipes in it on the back left side. Also thinking some sort of tunnel on the substrate for the pleco to hide.

Anyone have some ideas?
IMG_1478507028.035795.jpg

Needs to be sturdy as Oscar is a big boy! The dempsy below him is 140mm long by 40mm deep to give u an idea on just how big Oscar is ;)

IMG_1478655396.378520.jpg
Repens and AR came today! Can't wait to carpet my mid ground ;)

I have plans on removing a few plants and using both of these for abit of a rescape once they grow out and I have some trimmings to play with.

Back
Top Bottom