¿Black on leaves, doesn't wipe off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424980875.761489.jpg

The black on the leaves in my newly cycled, and newly planted, tank. Does not wipe off. Not on anything but leaves.

Substrate: 70% EC, 30% black aquarium sand

Fertilization: Lots of Osmocote Plus granules mixed into substrate, a little bit of supplemental liquid API CO2 Booster, some Flourish.

Water is changed quite frequently as I just finished a partial-fishless cycle - meaning the tank was nearly cycled with a large seeded filter when I added some fish and then did lots of PWCs. It's stable now.

If I'm messing up the feeding it would be erring on the OVER-feeding side (like most of us).

I have three nerite snails.

Ideas?

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Forget to add lighting info.

55 gal standard size/depth
This bulb in each fixture, right and left side: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424981852.568629.jpg

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

It looks like BBA growing. How long are your lights on daily? Do you use Excel or CO2?

You can spot treat with Excel or hydrogen peroxide to help kill it (it will turn pinkish/grayish as it dies) but figuring out the cause is important in preventing its reoccurrence. Typically, it's the result of an imbalance between light, ferts and CO2.

I have found changing my light schedule has had the greatest impact in eliminating BBA without changing anything else. Running the lights on a timer for 3 hours followed by a 3-4hour siesta then running them again for 3 hours completely eliminated any BBA after 2 months. As soon as I switched back to a regular light course (7-8hrs with no siesta), it started growing again. Something worth considering in addition to trying Excel (or Metricide). Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The light cycle posted above is a good solution. Just tear the leaves with the black on them off and new ones will grow.

The light cycle posted above is a good solution. Just tear the leaves with the black on them off and new ones will grow.

Thanks jlk and Hulka! I ripped off the black leaves. I actually already had my lights on that schedule, but I will reduce each photo session by 30 min. and see how that does.

Also getting a little white fungus on the newer wood. Internet searches indicate that is harmless to the fish, so I'll leave it alone - unless someone knows more?

Thanks everyone!

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

To my knowledge, the fungus is harmless and very typical in the first couple of months after new wood is introduced. Unsightly but not a concern! :)

Hey Fishymama! White on new DW is normal. Some people would advice to first boil the DW to avoid this and reduce the tannins that will brown your water. I have done this as well. No more whitish fungus. But every week I do a PWC I still see how tainted my water actually is! But as all things it will eventually go away :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Thanks, F.Sam. It's not too bad yet. If it really bugs me I'll take it out and bolo it.

~ Sent with the velocity of a European laden swallow

Back
Top Bottom