Changed tanks to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am using black blasting sand which could be almost any type of slag. Mine is nickel and I have had no issues. Around here it retails for $7.50 for 50lbs or $10 for 88lbs. I am using #20 (same as PFS) grit at the moment but my next project will use the coarser #12.

I used sand from Home Depot (Quikrete Medium Sand)..its already filtered, kilned and cleaned. I rinsed it anyways a few times, was pretty clean. Looks great in the tank (see avatar pic)

Chriznat20 said:
I used sand from Home Depot (Quikrete Medium Sand)..its already filtered, kilned and cleaned. I rinsed it anyways a few times, was pretty clean. Looks great in the tank (see avatar pic)

That's the sand I have right now
But I love the look of black sand

I always was told sand was really bad for plants in tanks. I have not ever done a planted tank. Doin my first one very soon in a 29 gallon I got for cheaps on cl

Hi all, new here. Have heard much about sand and that it's better for planted tanks, I guess opinions vary.

Right now I have black gravel but would love to switch to a darker sand.

Is there a darker sand than the regular play sand or even pool filter sand?

Is there a place on this forum that discusses/teaches HOW to transition from gravel to sand, safely?

To change just get a container that holds all ur water keep filter and everything wet. Change substrate out and refill. Most have good luck with that method.

Black substrate in my opinion looks the best I have all different shades of gravel in my tank and the black looks the best but everyone has there own opinion

joejeff said:
To change just get a container that holds all ur water keep filter and everything wet. Change substrate out and refill. Most have good luck with that method.

+1 I think that's the best way too
I get 2 containers the holds up to 50% or more of my water & any ornaments, dw, rocks & ect you had in the tank
& another container with the filter media if water can't be kept in it during the change

Back
Top Bottom