Co2 system help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rnbwfimmy said:
Supposedly my Fluval filter does not work with those kind of diffusers. Are glass diffusers okay or do I need a reactor? What kind of tubing should I get?

My filter is a fluval 305 ;) you just have to get different tubing

If you get the reactor that I linked then it comes with tubing that is rated to co2.

A glass diffuser will work but it will be less efficient.

Last edited:
And also which tubing for the Fluval if I go with the inline diffuser?

Rnbwfimmy said:
And also which tubing for the Fluval if I go with the inline diffuser?

The reactor that I posted a link of.
As far as tubing I just took the "stop valve" off of my filter and took it to home depot to get the right fitting tubing. Just any old rubberie tubing will work it doesn't have to be anything special just matching size to your filter output.

Thank you very much, this is all very helpful. I feel that I understand what I need for the system and how it works much better now, it's just a bit daunting at first. I think I have everything picked out but my diffuser method now, I'll have to keep researching before I decide what to go with.

Will getting a ph controller help prevent an end of tank dump? Also will it allow me to turn my system off at night without having to mess with my tank?

Or would a timer work just as well, since it has a solenoid valve?

Rnbwfimmy said:
Will getting a ph controller help prevent an end of tank dump? Also will it allow me to turn my system off at night without having to mess with my tank?

A pH controller will defiantly help with a end of tank dump. The only thing you need to do to turn off the co2 is unplug the solenoid. But if you have a pH controller then you won't need to worry about turning it off at night, the pH controller will take care of all that for you.

I just kept mine on a timer... co2 came on 30-45 mins before lights, and went off 30-45 mins before lights. FWIW, I never experienced that end of tank dump. My cylinder went empty several times. People talk about it, but I've never experienced it or seen it first hand.

I just want to take preventative measures, but the ph controller isnt an emergency. I'll ask for it for Christmas or something :) what kind of timer can I put on the solenoid valve and how does it work out of curiosity?

Rnbwfimmy said:
I just want to take preventative measures, but the ph controller isnt an emergency. I'll ask for it for Christmas or something :) what kind of timer can I put on the solenoid valve and how does it work out of curiosity?

Any timer :) what will happen is when the timer turns on it will activate the solenoid and let co2 flow out. I believe the solenoid is just an electric magnet that pushes a pin and let's the co2 out, but I may be wrong.

Awesomeness. This has has thrown a lot of extra into our expenses, and I'll have to wait a couple more months, but it will be so awesome once it finally comes together. Thanks again ^^

Daxhua said:
I want to know how have you been mislead on your equipment?

Plants use CO2 for photosynthesis. A CO2 injection system in a planted tank will really make your plants grow so long as you provide adequate lighting, and good fertilization. I know others are going to disagree with me on this but there's nothing simple about a CO2 system especially if you're new to plants in an aquarium. It takes a little while to dial everything in to your plant's needs. From what I read here on AA carpeting plants like baby tears definitely need lots of CO2, fertilized substrate, and high lighting which you've got covered. If you can give us more info on your tanks setup we will be able to get you on the right track and tell where to go to get the best deals on equipment.

Not true. I grew baby tears in my 5 gallon just fine without co2 for a few months. Not all carpeting plants need it. Some carpeting plants are eve low light, such as marsilea minuta. I also didn't have fertilized substrate in my 5 gallon. Fertilized substrate isn't necessary, you just need to have enough ferts in your water. A weekly dosing of Seachem flourish will suffice.

Because of the cost we actually decided to move our iwagumi/ dwarf tears carpet plan into my 5 gallon betta tank. We are dosing excel and have 15 watts of light. We actually started this yesterday before I read your post. So It's very comforting.
For the 55 gallon we are actually making it a bit more fish friendly by heavily planting with low and medium light plants and supplementing with a co2 biosystem(s). We will implement a pressurized system in the future, but we dont have enough experience to jump right into this beautiful but advanced aqua scaping. I think we could have success going a little bit more low tech to start with.

Here is what the 5 gallon currently looks like. If these plants do well ill move them into the 5 and try some sort of carpet here. Its nothing impressive but I'm really happy with it and my betta is ecstatic.

Attachments

• image-3402473620.jpg
    image-3402473620.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 63
  • image-2436221437.jpg
    image-2436221437.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom