Co2 system help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rnbwfimmy

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I understand co2 systems zero. We have already been misled about filters, heaters, and everything else. Once we found someone decently knowledgable with plants that didnt look sick, he was reccomending a 220 dollar co2 system he didn't even stock.
I've been researching my tank needs for months , but co2 is the one thing I can't wrap my head around, can someone please simplify my options? We have a 55 gallon lidless tank with two 105 watt t5 high output lights. We want to grow christmas tree moss and carpet the bottom with baby dwarf tears and possibly dwarf hairgrass. We dont have a highly restrictive budget but want to be reasonable. We were thinking about a Hagen plant gro c02 system. Would this be a good option for our tank

Your tank is probably too big for the hagen setup. You'll be changing bottles a lot. Here's what you need. 5lb co2 bottle, regulator with magnetic solenoid, high pressure air line, bubble counter, household timer and a diffuser. I found most everything on eBay except the bottle and the timer. If you have a home beer brewery store where you live its a good place to get a bottle. Timer you can get anywhere. You should be able to do it for a little over 200 bucks if you shop around

I want to know how have you been mislead on your equipment?

Plants use CO2 for photosynthesis. A CO2 injection system in a planted tank will really make your plants grow so long as you provide adequate lighting, and good fertilization. I know others are going to disagree with me on this but there's nothing simple about a CO2 system especially if you're new to plants in an aquarium. It takes a little while to dial everything in to your plant's needs. From what I read here on AA carpeting plants like baby tears definitely need lots of CO2, fertilized substrate, and high lighting which you've got covered. If you can give us more info on your tanks setup we will be able to get you on the right track and tell where to go to get the best deals on equipment.

Forgot one thing. A drop checker to tell approximately how much co2 is in your tank

Obviously, we are already investing a lot of money into this tank in order to get the right equipment. We were misled about heaters and filters ( we were told to get a waterfall instead of a canister and a heater that could set on fire or shock our fish). We've corrected those issue and only have to pick out our co2 system. Like I said before, we are not looking to spend 200 on parts to put together a co2 system. But something that will work well for carpeting plants at a reasonable price that will also be a good choice for a beginner to co2. Many many people using the system were looking at claim to use it for 75 and 90 gallon tanks, what I want to know is it effective?

We also got a very good ecocomplete substrate, what other nutritional needs might our plants have?

IME putting together my co2 system works better because you can pick each part to suit your needs/wants. Hagen sells a lot of products. Can you be more specific on which setup your talking about? That will help anyone trying to give you advice

I find it is hard to beet a Milwaukee regulator at least for the price. http://www.eseasongear.com/milwaukeema957.html
This is were I think it is cheapest right now ^^
In addition to a regulator you will need a co2 tank, a 5 pound tank would suffice but the bigger the longer it will last (get the biggest you can afford/fit)
You will also need a diffusion method (a way to dissolve the co2 into the water) I would recommend a DIY in line co2 diffuser.
After that all you need is a drop checker and you are well on your way!

U can use a hob filter on 55 gal setup.
If u want simplicity, look in "Sicce Life 1 or 2". It doses co2 without all the equipment.

If you look online you should be able to find a regulator with a bubble counter, needle valve and solenoid valve for under $170 an inline reactor/diffuser for

under $15 and a 5lbs tank not sure on price but if you really look around for deals your looking at spending no more than $200.

We decided against the bio system we were looking at and are going to spring for a pressurized system. I don't however want to go find a bunch of different parts, simply because I don't want one cheap part to ruin it or not be able to warranty my set up or even not be able to attribute problems to one source. For those reasons I'd like to know what's a good and cost effective co2 kit for a 55 gallon? something with all the parts in one package that isn't like 300 bucks

You know what? **** it. Im a big girl, I can put one together. Just tell me what to do

I'm definitely going with the Milwaukee regulator, what other parts do I need?

Rnbwfimmy said:
I'm definitely going with the Milwaukee regulator, what other parts do I need?

Now your talkin! In addition to the Milwaukee you will need a Co2 tank (I got a 20 pound tank off of amazon for like $80). You will need to choose a diffusion method, you could use a ceramic disk, in line diffuser, power head, or any other. My preferred method is an in line diffuser, which is very easy to build out of PVC.
And the last thing you will need is a drop checker (very cheep on eBay)

You could get a co2 controller if you want to but that is optionable.

Rnbwfimmy said:
What do I get for a diffuser?

What do you get to build an inline diffuser?
There really is no set of rules how to build one. There are several things that it has to have though.
It has to have: a proper length for co2 to dissolve, a canister filter input and output (input on top output on bottom), and a co2 hook up.

Here is a picture of mine:

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120709_102458.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120709_102458.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 50
  • ForumRunner_20120709_102523.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120709_102523.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 43
Supposedly my Fluval filter does not work with those kind of diffusers. Are glass diffusers okay or do I need a reactor? What kind of tubing should I get?

Sorry if I am insanely naive about all this. This is my first planted tank, but at least I'm trying to take my time planning despite the sadness of staring at a giant empty tank

Glass diffusers work fine. That inline one is pretty nice but I imagine its more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom