Discovered anaerobic zone - what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarthell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Removing a large Amazon sword from my 55 gal to transfer to my 65 gal I noticed a death like blackness along with a foul smell emanating from the water. I just assumed it was an anaerobic zone and hit my tank with a dose of prime. Luckily I was in the process of a water change (filter off) and the siphon was running so I focused it on the area and removed much of the murky water before it could round the tank. The fish and shrimp seemed unaffected.

In any case, I'm concerned my gravel is too high, currently just under 2.5 inches. I want to remove an inch at least...without removing the inhabitants. My plan is to siphon the gravel out into a bucket. I made my own siphon and it is fairly wide so I'm not concerned about it clogging.

Do you think that is safe? It will be nearly impossible for me to remove the shrimp colony. Removing the CPD's can be done, but either way I have to disassemble my aqua scape and I really really (add a few more) don't want to put in that kind of effort. Call me lazy.

Any suggestions?

I'm a little dubious. Gravel doesn't pack as tightly as soil or even sand which means an anaerobic layer has to occur deeper than it would in soil.

Plant roots make it even harder for it to happen.

Anaerobic pockets also produce bubbles of sulfuric compounds which have that distinct rotten egg smell.

I think you're okay, based on what you are saying.

Ok. So you don't think I need to remove any gravel? I've only read in passing about anaerobic zones and assumed I was looking at one. It was definitely funky smelling and caused a mild panic. For me, not the fish.

I've only heard of anaerobic zones in tanks with a sand substrate tbh.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Re-rooting the plants will also become much harder if you remove an inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok I think I Wollongong leave it be then. Ill just be more aggressive when I vacuum the gravel to make sure I get the gunk out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah probably just a lot of gunk decaying ... That can be dark and stinky too.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

ok...I've never heard of this and at one point in my tank I probably have like...4 - 5 inches for effect. Should I not do that? I'm using ecoComplete

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anaerobic zones complete the final stage of denitrification. Do nothing.

My big tank (as it was first set up) had a healthy layer of substrate, mixed gravel grades and sand. Frequently during cleaning the gas pockets were disturbed.
All I observed was a lower than normal no3 reading.
(Still do water changes! No no3 doesn't mean all is well!)

No fish were harmed and they were all bottom feeders, 18" hypostomus, 15" gibbiceps, 11 chromobotia Macracanthus, 28 corydoras paleatus. (860 litres)

You will read account after account of the deadly nature of this scenario, but it will not wipe out your tank, (it's other causes being blamed by those seeking an alternative to user error)
All of these fish were re homed in good/excellent condition, I still have the clowns and a breeding shoal of corydoras.

I am building a remote DSB to have this effect happen on purpose in the new set up of this tank, as it has higher nitrate readings than the first set up, and with a significantly lower bio load.
If I thought it was dangerous, I wouldn't risk my prized shoal!

Back
Top Bottom