First planted: My 75g Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
View attachment 262087

Found my peacock eel out today. Hoping I can see him eat something.

What should I do about the fuzzy white stuff on my driftwood? I was told it's good bacteria and it will go away but it is really building up on the log. Should I clean it off?

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

What are you feeding him ??

I used frozen bloodworms and Brine shrimp. I would put them in a little bit of tank water to thaw them out and then using a turkey baster I would suck them up and then target feed. I would put the food right in front of the eels face. They will learn to come to the turkey baster and suck the food right out of the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are you feeding him ??

I used frozen bloodworms and Brine shrimp. I would put them in a little bit of tank water to thaw them out and then using a turkey baster I would suck them up and then target feed. I would put the food right in front of the eels face. They will learn to come to the turkey baster and suck the food right out of the end.

I have the dried bloodworms right now, I planned on going to get his freezer food today. And you used a turkey baster? I'll have to try that

Caleb

By the way. I don't know much about my plants aside from a little research(still doing more) could someone explain the "molting" process or give me a link for an explanation?

Caleb

By the way. I don't know much about my plants aside from a little research(still doing more) could someone explain the "molting" process or give me a link for an explanation?

Caleb

You mean melting? Basically when a plant deteriorates to mush over the course of a few days. It can be caused by a few things. Lack of lighting, nutrition, some other cosmic force I can't figure out. I find it mainly occurs when a plant has transitioned to a new setting, whether it be new tank or from emmersed to submersed. Crypts are notorious melters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You mean melting? Basically when a plant deteriorates to mush over the course of a few days. It can be caused by a few things. Lack of lighting, nutrition, some other cosmic force I can't figure out. I find it mainly occurs when a plant has transitioned to a new setting, whether it be new tank or from emmersed to submersed. Crypts are notorious melters.

Oh okay thanks. And just clean up the dead residue?

Caleb

Yeah, they should bounce back.. I've had plants that were total mush come back strong.

Yeah, they should bounce back.. I've had plants that were total mush come back strong.

What's the best way to "care" for them while they are "mush"

Caleb

I just use 6-8 hours of light and normal Fert schedule. A root tab for Crypts or Swords. Trim off dying leaves as needed. I leave one or 2 leaves.

Just got a text saying my 2 pictus died :( mom said the rest of my fish are fine though. I just did a water test last night.

Last night report:

pH: 6.8-7

Ammonia: 0-0.25

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

I planned on getting a seeded filter this afternoon if possible.

Any ideas what happened to my cats?

Caleb

Miss my pictus but I got the wood cleaned up and did changed about 20 gallons and the water looks way better than it did!

Caleb

Weak or dying leave should be removed as they just suck up nutrients which should be going to new growth.

Crypts melt any time water parameters change. Most other plants melt because they were grown out of water and now are suffocating. Buying plants from other hobbiest is your best bet as its generally a lot cheaper and plants come from their tanks.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Best way to remove tannins? My tank water is clean but it's stained from my wood.

Caleb

Best way to remove tannins? My tank water is clean but it's stained from my wood.

Caleb

Water changes. Some folks use Purigen in their filter. You could always remove the DW and boil it a few more times.

Had an angelfish die. All water levels and parameters are same as yesterday. Just added seeded filter media around 5 hours ago. Any explanations?

Caleb

It's you have seen my other thread I have removed all my remaining creatures that I can find and have dosed 12mL of pure ammonia in my tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422317461.937609.jpg

It looks like it says 4ppm but I can't really tell the color between 2ppm and 4 ppm.

Caleb

Looks like 3 ppm!! You need to do something about that!! It should be 0ppm

Looks like 3 ppm!! You need to do something about that!! It should be 0ppm

Matthew you're not informed probably because you haven't seen the other thread. Supposedly I'm just starting the cycle and I've removed all living creatures in my tank to my 45 (it's not slightly overstocked) and am running a fish less cycle via a guide on here. The guide said dose my water to 3-4ppm for the bacteria.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom