First planted: My 75g Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What looks like coral by my loach IS coral. My dad has had shells and some coral for 15+ years and let me borrow some. It may be odd in a freshwater but I like it :) btw the coral is from Guam.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Be careful putting saltwater things into freshwater. Some of them will dissolve and put things in your water that you don't want.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Be careful putting saltwater things into freshwater. Some of them will dissolve and put things in your water that you don't want.

Oh boy. Like I said they have been dry for well close to 20 years. Is that long enough or still risky?

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Oh boy. Like I said they have been dry for well close to 20 years. Is that long enough or still risky?

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

As far as I know they can still dissolve in freshwater.

"However, there are still issues to keep in mind, such as not using sea shells or coral skeletons in freshwater aquariums because they can cause problems with chemistry. Of course, at a good pet shop, someone would be likely to point this out to you before you made the purchase..."

It can raise your pH. Crushed coral is used in African Cichlid tanks to raise the pH. It will also dissolve in freshwater. You can try coating it in silicone to make it freshwater tank safe.

As far as I know they can still dissolve in freshwater.

"However, there are still issues to keep in mind, such as not using sea shells or coral skeletons in freshwater aquariums because they can cause problems with chemistry. Of course, at a good pet shop, someone would be likely to point this out to you before you made the purchase..."

It can raise your pH. Crushed coral is used in African Cichlid tanks to raise the pH. It will also dissolve in freshwater. You can try coating it in silicone to make it freshwater tank safe.

Yeah I have some crushed coral in there. I took most of it out because I ended up not getting cichlids.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

I doubt one little piece of coral will screw up your tank, but I just wanted you to be aware.

As I'm sure you know, coral is not recommended in planted tanks.

I'm jealous you have such a large tank to work with. Someday I'd love to have a big tank again. ??

I doubt one little piece of coral will screw up your tank, but I just wanted you to be aware.

As I'm sure you know, coral is not recommended in planted tanks.

I'm jealous you have such a large tank to work with. Someday I'd love to have a big tank again. ??

Took a lot of convincing because I haven't moved out yet :D

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

My last big tanks had snakes and lizards in them ?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's cool. My mom world kill me if I had those or spiders

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp
~45g ick is fixed! White skirt tetras.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

Ordered some new plants on eBay :) if my lighting isn't sufficient enough I still have my original 36 inch MarineLand LED I can add to increase wattage.

Ordered:
-Java Moss, probably going to add back a piece of my driftwood
-Hornwort
-Anubius Barteri
-Rotala Indica
- Staurogyne Repens -- this is where I worry about the light and have my 36inch MarineLand for backup.
-bid on Hygrophilia Polysperma.

Can't wait! It's going to be like mid next week before they start to get here.

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423760763.810930.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423760792.713619.jpg

Forgot to post about my black skirts. Testing water tonight to make sure bacteria are caught up and doing okay.

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp

View attachment 264131
View attachment 264132

Forgot to post about my black skirts. Testing water tonight to make sure bacteria are caught up and doing okay.

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp

Congratulations man, I'm happy for you. The tank looks amazing so far. Best of luck to you. :)

Congratulations man, I'm happy for you. The tank looks amazing so far. Best of luck to you. :)

Thanks! I was having a bad day at work and this made my day :)

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp

I'm liking the tank so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm liking the tank so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks!

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp

Off topic it's not my 75g its my 10g but thought I would share

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423878761.989436.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423878787.458009.jpg

7 ghost shrimp
1 blue male Betta
2 ADF

Loving them :) I love watching them explore

Sorry for bad quality. App keeps saying the quota is too high to I had to go down to small size for it to load it.

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp

I'm getting some algae growth on the glass and rocks in my tank. My light is only on 4 hours a day. Should I turn the light down even more?

Caleb

~10g 7 ghost shrimp, Betta,2 ADF
~45g ick is fixed! 5 White skirt tetras. Soon to add Corys

Okay so it has been a while since I've posted in here. I know I know I've changed my mind 100000 times on what to stock this tank with and I have a final conclusion. I already have a tropical community tank and a Betta tank with ADF so for this tank it will be a large fish tank. I added a Senegal Bichir a few days ago and he likes the rock work to hide until he gets settled in. Having trouble getting him to eat but I'm sure he will once he warms up to the tank. I've also ordered a rope fish! I'm so excited to have this feller coming in and will probably get him a friend once I get the hang of caring for the first. I plan on also adding a Raphael catfish and maybe an angel as a centerpiece. I'll keep the big guys well fed so they leave the other fish alone. I've never had big fish like this before so I'm really excited to see them grow.

The Senegal is only about 2.5 inches long. The rope fish coming in eventually (weather problems) will be about 3-4 inches.

I'll try to get some pics up once I figure out using photobucket with this site.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom