Fluval Edge 6 Gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d_flo_yo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi fish people. I have been building a planted 6 gallon Fluval Edge for the past month.

Setup:

6 gallon fluval edge
LED arm from 12 gallon edge
Hacked off 6 gallon led arm - sits on top up front
Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater 50W
Stock HOB filter
Fluval 88g CO2 kit

ADA power sand special
ADA Amazonia
Seiryu Stone - 6 lb
Dwarf hairgrass - 2 packages from Petsmart believe it or not!

3 cherry shrimp
6 harlequin rasboras

image-3526359596.jpg

image-4074683602.jpg

image-3221276667.jpg

image-4124233767.jpg

image-3499348402.jpg

image-1043028742.jpg

I don't have the co2 setup yet as the regulator leaked and drained my cartridge which I assume would last for a few months. I have a replacement regulator and have asked about gettin the cartridge replaced but ill order a 3 pack to be safe.

I'm using flourish excel and comprehensive right now .

Edit: comments, suggestions, critics welcome of course :)

I've got plans for plants in the empty space in the back. I was thinking about integrating some four leaf clovers into the middle of the big rocks and some taller grass in the back

Wow.. Looks good.. I've thought about going high tech with my Fluval edge.. But for now it remains low tech. Following along :)

Wow.. Looks good.. I've thought about going high tech with my Fluval edge.. But for now it remains low tech. Following along :)

Thanks! What I would really like to do is use a canister filter... Mostly because I have never used one, and also so I could use cool inline add-ons like heat, uv, and co2. I have read that the HOB helps agitate the surface to provide oxygen though. It would be nice to get everything out of the tank too.

I have a couple of questions:

I am noticing some flow issues in the tank, there are a couple of dead spots. The way the stones are arranged makes a channel that directs the flow toward the beach (annoying) which leaves the right side much more still. I would rather not rearrange the stones, could I use a tiny circulation pump to get a nice breeze over there?

I have also been playing with the amount of co2 that i use. I started at around 1/3bps, the drop checker showed green so I lowered it to about 1/5bps...still green. I noticed today that when I slow the co2 down the bubbles don't rise as quickly, they're not noticeably smaller. More of them get caught in the current or sucked into the filter. Is it ok for them to go into the filter, does that aid in dissolving the bubbles? I thought about moving the diffuser next to the filter so they would all get sucked in.

Any advice on adding a flow pump to my setup? I was thinking the shrimp may be an issue, they like to go for a swim sometimes and are all over the place. Would a nano one like korila makes be ok? Could I cover it with pantyhose or something like that to keep my little inverts out?

I don't use CO2 so can't help you with that but in a tank that small you might find even the smallest powerhead/pump is going to be too much. I've seen a couple pic's on the site of people making a extension piece to divert the outflow more out and across the tank so if your good at DIY projects that might be something to try before getting a nano pump. Plus if you get a pump your going to have to fix to somehow to keep the shrimp out.

Thanks! I've thought about modifying the outlet to split or spread out the flow.

I was worried about too much flow, the bigger pumps usually have some adjustment but I haven't found a nano flow pump with adjustable output. I'll see how I feel about my flow issues once I get some plants in the empty space.

The dead spots were bothering me because that is where extra food would get trapped and after too long the shrimp won't even eat it. I've been feeding them using my aquascaping tweezers which lets me hold the food over a good spot so that fallen flakes go to where shrimp hang out and where I can clean it up.

I'm still going to consider a nano-pump, if I add one I'll be sure to update.

That is a tiny fancy guppy that must have been born at the store and was put in the bag with my Rasboras, a free stowaway. He is doing well so far and has grown considerably from his original rice grain size.

Pristine aquariums in Alexandria VA says they will have new plants ready for sale this weekend! I'm excited to finally get my 4-leaf clovers and maybe something else depending on what they have in stock. I've been growing a bit of algae on my stones lately ... Quite nicely in fact, I see some nice pearling on it :( .. I plan on getting 3 more shrimp when I'm at the store and may have to get a couple of snails if the shrimp can't contain the growth.

Try shutting the light off in the middle of the time it is on for a couple hours. It helped mine. Also Nerite snail can do wonders for algae. A couple Ramshorn snails will take care of the excess food. There are many really pretty colors and patterns, especially Red.

Back
Top Bottom