Fluval Edge 6 Gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try shutting the light off in the middle of the time it is on for a couple hours. It helped mine. Also Nerite snail can do wonders for algae. A couple Ramshorn snails will take care of the excess food. There are many really pretty colors and patterns, especially Red.

Thanks, great advice. I have actually shortened my light cycle to help with this issue, it comes on one hour later right now. I think I have it on a 10 hour cycle. I don't want too many critters in this small aquarium so I think i'll stick with the shrimp and shorter light cycle and see how it goes.

I have made a few minor updates. I finally got my dwarf four-leaf clovers and some narrow leaf sword in the mid and back right corner. While I was at the store I picked up a hydor koralia nano which proved to be extreme overkill for my tank. There is no way to configure it that doesn't turn my tank into a whirlpool haha. The pump is very nice though; quiet, sturdy, nice mount.

I've uploaded a quick video so you can see the new plants and snail. I think this adds some nice depth to the tank. I'm fighting a bit of algae still so the hairgrass isn't its normal lime green color. http://youtu.be/U1kuT_8o9nM

d_flo_yo, if I wanted to upgrade my 6g Fluval Edge with that newer LED arm replacement intended for the 12g version, would it install in the same place where the older Halogen arm currently resides? I noticed in your pics you have it just sitting on the glass, but I'm thinking of actually upgrading my 6g but I would like to hide it in the cover. Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, I answered my own question by doing a simple google search! haha... HERE

Hey Brian! I've got the original LED arm hacked off and sitting on top for some extra light. The 12 gallon 42 LED arm is installed under the hood where the original one was. It just takes a couple of screws and the old one comes right off, you'll have no problem doing that.

Oh awesome! You got both going on. I thought you had the LED arm for the 12g Edge on the glass over the planted area of your tank. If you're using both, wouldn't have been better to use the dimmer one in the middle and the more intense one directly over the plants?

I think ypur tank looks amazing! I love the rocks and grass down to the beach theme. Very beautiful. I just started planting my first planted tank, and alas, it looks nothing nearly as spectacular as yours. Lol. Cant wait to see more updates, your stowaway guppy is getting pretty cute.

I can see why you would say that but I wanted the brighter light to be the "full time" light. I put the other one away when I don't want to look at it. It just happens to be that the new plants are in the corner where the light is currently situated. I was originally hoping to somehow mount the old light and the new one under the hood. I'll see how my tank does over the next couple of months before I start to think about new equipment.

I think ypur tank looks amazing! I love the rocks and grass down to the beach theme. Very beautiful. I just started planting my first planted tank, and alas, it looks nothing nearly as spectacular as yours. Lol. Cant wait to see more updates, your stowaway guppy is getting pretty cute.

Thanks! The guppy is our favorite fish. 1 because we can identify him among the others and 2 because he was soooo tiny when we first got him. The shrimp are the crowd favorite among my friends :)

I have been getting the algae issue under control but added another snail to help. I would like three or four more shrimp but my local store won't have any for another week. I have also removed the carbon from my HOB filter and filled in the remaining space with filter floss. The flow issue has not yet been resolved. I ordered a replacement impeller for the stock filter that should up the flow rate on it. I have also ordered a hydor pico evo-mag to provide some nice circulation.

A couple of photos :)

image-2871176700.jpg

image-1730030997.jpg

image-11468725.jpg

You can see in the last photo that the four leaf clovers are dying off. From what I understand the old growth, likely not grown submerged, will die off .. I have trimmed what I can but there is not much "living" but new growth is coming in.

Very cool, there are so many DIY mods out there but that looks like an easy and affordable solution. Ill look into those, if the color temp is appropriate I might look into that.

Yeah i massaged him to see if it grew the UG. If it grew UG, it would grow anything. I checked that site, they have so many color temp options.

Wonderful!

I've uploaded a quick video so you can see the new plants and snail. I think this adds some nice depth to the tank. I'm fighting a bit of algae still so the hairgrass isn't its normal lime green color. My 6 Gallon Fluval Edge - 7 Week Update - YouTube[/QUOTE]

I am seriously thinking of stealing some of this design for my new, (to be), 20L tank to replace (maybe), my 12.

Love, love, love it!

:thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 102
I love it! It's looking amazing. How do you get your DHG to grow so well?

I didn't do anything special. I would give credit to the substrate. I trim it monthly so far. I've got my fingers crossed about the four leaf clovers, the golden is doing a good job cleaning up the dying growth.

One cool thing about having an aquarium so small is that you get to see everything that goes on. :)

I didn't do anything special. I would give credit to the substrate. I trim it monthly so far. I've got my fingers crossed about the four leaf clovers, the golden is doing a good job cleaning up the dying growth.

One cool thing about having an aquarium so small is that you get to see everything that goes on. :)

Oh I see. Lol yes I can't wait to get my small rimless tank going!

Flow pump came in today ... Impeller was supposed to come too but it didn't. I'll update soon with the details. Figuring out the proper placement is proving to be a nightmare!

Back
Top Bottom