I'd like to do a small 5 gallon planted tank... what do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DSM is the dry start method. and yeah, the powder type is practically a really nutrient rich sand, and the regular is a little bit larger. Here is an odd comparison, fluval stratum and aquasoil both look like chocolate "Dippin' Dots ice cream" If you have ever seen that :lol:

Gotcha! Is there an advantage to a dry start?

DSM - I believed was pioneered by Tom Barr. You can Google him and DSM to find the intricate details. But I believe it's meant to carpet certain plants and to give them a head start by allowing them to establish a root system before flooding the tank. The advantages are since the plants have established a root system, it's hard for them to get dislodged and float away from the scape, you also don't have to inject co2 or use ferts during this phase, and this limits the potential for algae which is usually associated with a newly planted tank with high-tech conditions... this technique is mainly used for dwarf baby tears (HC), dwarf hair grass, etc. Mainly high-tech type plants because you'll need to be injecting co2 and adopting a comprehensive fertilizer regimen after... unless you do a lot of research to learn DSM and High-Tech planted tanks, I don't recommend this for beginners to planted tanks. This is certainly fun to try down the road however.

Thank god for dsm. You are right Brian, my DHC floated away so many times. I got so frustrated and wanted to quit. (Ithink my problem is getting fish on the day of setup). So I never have time for a dsm, but that being said it appears to be worth it. IMO endless are the way to go.

If you are going to carpet a plant in a tank, definitely go for DSM...but some plants cannot participate in the process, like blyxa japonica for example cannot be grown using DSM. But carpet plants like micro sword, HC, DHG, crypts, etc. can. And yeah, if you go DSM once you flood the tank the plants will not have access to the unlimited amount of CO2 and light due to the water, so you would need a high tech setup to keep the plant going after you flood the tank.

Just a quick comment about Dwarf Cories and Bettas. Some Bettas leave Cories alone. I had one for 5 years in a 12g with 3 White Clouds ( I tried adding 3 more WCs, but they were killed off)

Anyway I added 3 young Panda Cories and my Betta targeted them. At first I thought it would stop in a couple of days, but he killed them off, one by one. I did NOT have that tank planted and looking back I needed more hiding places. But add the Betta last if possible.

I definitely plan on putting the cories in first. I figure I will also use a mirror shortly after putting the betta in, so he will be more worried about another betta possibly getting his territory than the cories.

I definitely plan on putting the cories in first. I figure I will also use a mirror shortly after putting the betta in, so he will be more worried about another betta possibly getting his territory than the cories.

I wouldn't use a mirror too early, it would tend to add stress. Plenty of plants and hiding spots will help. Just keep an eye on things.

Looks like I have everything I need to set up the tank ordered. Now its time to decide on plants.

Any suggestion on non green plants? Any really nice red plants?

Sorry, this isn't a red plant as you requested but I thought I'd chime in with one of my favorite nano tank plants: Hemianthus micranthemoides (baby tears). This is the regular baby tears and not the dwarf type so the lighting requirements aren't as high. I have a bunch currently in my ten gal with Eco complete and a Finnex Fugeray (also recommended by Brian -- AA's unofficial Finnex spokesperson ;) ) and they're doing very well. Their small leaves and bright green color are perfect for a rimless nano! :)

Haha... I should start getting a Finnex salary! Well I enjoy they're fixtures and customer service... great company!

Anyway, HM (baby tears) is a great plant for nanos, I will certainly agree to that. As for some red plants, I forget are you going to be injecting co2 or just using a liquid carbon?

I noticed that my Ludwigia sp. Red stays a decent red in medium light. There's Barclaya longifolia or Alternanthera reineckii.

I think you should PM Rivercats on this one... she really knows her plants and can give you more options.

I just bought a bunch of baby tears for my green background. More on them when they arrive.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the rotala magenta. Might do those towards the back, with some red wendtii crypts. I will definitely be getting some dwarf baby tears and italian vals. I might also do a small clump of frog bit. I will be using liquid co2.

One more suggestion -- Cryptocoryne
wendtii 'Tropica' (Plant Details). Again it's not red but usually takes on a nice bronze color. It's kind of a low, bushy plant so it's good for the mid/foreground to contrast with the bright green of HM baby tears in the background.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the rotala magenta. Might do those towards the back, with some red wendtii crypts. I will definitely be getting some dwarf baby tears and italian vals. I might also do a small clump of frog bit. I will be using liquid co2.

Not "dwarf" Baby Tears, HM is "regular" Baby Tears. Dwarf is high light high tech.

I don't know if you've already painted your background yet, but you might want to try the roll on latex paint. If you paint with it and change your mind down the road, you can just peel it off. No razor needed.

Actually, I got the cube today and painted it. I put three coats of satin black krylon paint. I wrapped the aquarium in newspaper and then saran wrapped it. After three coats, there is a couple of places with light spray over. I have easily removed it with just my finger nail. I have some clean up to do so I can remove where the tape was, get finger prints, etc off. As easy as it was to paint, and as easy as the excess paint is to remove, I couldn't be happier. It looks like it came from the factory this way. I have pictures of the process, so I'll get it cleaned up over the weekend and get them posted. Another note as to painted it, my aquarium with a stick on background does not have the depth of this tank. It looks as if the whole back glass is painted (thickness wise, if that makes sense). I was very meticulous on how I taped it, but seeing the finished product, I wasted time because of how well it looks from the front. You would never be able to tell how the corners edged up (it seems). We shall see how that changes once it is filled. I have the filter cycling, the light, substrate, heater, blah blah is in the shipping/delivery process. All I have left to order now is plants and get the fish.

I actually only have one problem. The dimensions of the tank were wrong. It sits 3/8" too long on my desk. It over hangs and will be unsupported that much. Should I get a board to go underneath it so the weight is evenly distributed?

Back
Top Bottom