I'd like to do a small 5 gallon planted tank... what do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks97cobra

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't have much room in my bedroom for anything besides a small tank for my desk. I'm thinking a small 5 or 6 gallon tank ill fit perfectly. I want to plant it. I haven't had a planted tank in years. I have a ton of questions:

Is there a good starter kit that comes with a good enough light or should I buy everything separate?

If the answer to the above is buy everything separate, what do I need?

What kind of substrate?

What kind of plants? I would like to have the front carpeted.

What kind and where is a good place to get rocks or driftwood?

As for fish, I'll probably just do a betta, some pygmy cories or maybe a dwarf puffer.

Thanks!

Nik

I'll get the first question for you. My daughter first tank was a 5g complete setup I grabbed at Walmart. Think it was a tetra. Anyway, petco sells a high output bulb that will work in that hood. Had great success with low light plants. Xmas moss, water sprite, java fern.

Substrate can be whatever you want. Gravel, sand etc. they don't sell small bags of Eco-complete or I would say that. You want about a two inch base and root tabs will help the heavy root feeders.

Hope this helps

Depends on your budget. If you have a decent budget then a rimless tank is the way to go. Medium budget you can go for kits like the Fluval spec, edge, or even flora. If budget is low, you can buy a cheap Walmart tank or petco dollar per gallon sales.

Evaporation is annoying. Don't place it by your bed, if you don't like listening to water. I have a 2.5 however.

I like the Fluval Spec tanks, am wanting to get one as a little coffee table tank :) To keep a healthy planted tank, all you need is proper lighting, ferts, and substrate. The rest is just mandantory aquarium stuff lol.

I do like this fluval. Is the lighting that comes with this tank good enough for a planted tank or will I need a different bulb?

Dan, that is what I am asking. What is the proper substrate, light and ferts?

Brian, while budget is a concern, I'd rather have a quality than cheap that will break.

Thanks for the replies!

Nik

The Fluval spec light is only strong enough for low light plants like java fern, anubias, cypts, mosses, and such. Its still a neat little kit but if you ever want to grow plants that are more challenging, you'd have to be clever with some DIY upgrades.

My suggestion is to piece the tank together yourself. Rimless tanks are sleek and attractive IMO. I have a 6g GLA rimless (linked in my signature) and love it. I also just bought a 2g cube Aquatop from TruAqua to test the quality since they're so new to the market. Let me tell you, it rivals ADA in terms of quality.. Then there's Mr. Aqua tanks from MarineDepot.com.

Check this one out:
http://www.truaqua.com/high-clarity-glass-aquarium-hca-14.html

And for lighting, get a 16" finnex Fugeray on Amazon.

For filtration, an AquaClear 20.

I think with this combo, you'll be good to go. Just my 2 cents..

Yeah, if you have the money, rimless tanks are the way to go! :D I too have the GLA rimless 6g like Brian (my inspiration, :lol: ) and its awesome. Low iron=beautiful! One you have a low iron rimless you never want to buy a framed or regular tank again lol. At least that's my case. I am also tempted to get a little AquaTop like Brian, as a little "experiment tank", nothing show about it :) Sorry for rambling on, the 5.4g Brian linked would be awesome for that price, I would suggest the GLA 6g (cheaper for more gallons) but they are sold out :( ) FugeRay would work well for that low light and dimensions and the AC20...good combo to me!

Excellent information Brian, and thanks for the backing him up Dan. What are the dimensions on your 2g Aquatop? Since its only getting a betta, a 2g isn't out of the question. The 5.4g is a little long for my desk. Also, what light are you using for Aquatop? I see that there is an 11.75" Finnex Fugeray for the 2g. Would that be good? Also, where can I get a top for the tanks? I have read that bettas are jumpers.

Thanks for all the info! I'm looking forward to piecing this together. I loved my last planted tank (it was a 10 gallon, low light) so I'm ready to work on another. I just only have room for one on my desk where I live now. The extra space in my house is taken up by my 75 gallon. I don't really feel like going through the whole co2 stuff for that tank.

Nik

My 2g AquaTop cube is about 8" . The Finnex would be too large. There's a smaller version of the tank I recommended to you earlier.. it's about 4 gallons. I prefer rectangular tanks versus cubes because they're easier to scape. I still like my new cube, don't get me wrong. But if I can only have a tank or two, a cube wouldn't be one. But if you really want to go with that Finnex Fugeray, there's also a larger cube that would work. There's also the new Fugeray-R clip light that would look nice too.

Take a look at the various dimensions... I'm sure you'll find a size that would work. Get the largest one you can fit in the available space you have..
http://www.truaqua.com/high-clarity-aquarium-fish-tanks.html

Otherwise, Fluval spec tanks aren't bad. There's a 2g, 3g, and 5g version. You'll definitely grow more plants though with a Finnex Fugeray on a nice sexy rimless tank! Haha

The 7.13 gallon cube will fit perfectly on my desk. I have about 1' x 1' (ideally). The cube is 11.81" which means the 11.75" Fugeray should fit. Are the supports on the Fugeray adjustable?

Again though, I'll probably have to locate a top. This tank will give me more gallons. I would prefer rectangle as well, but with the dimensions I'm working with, I am starting to realize that a cube will be better.

Yes the Fugeray has adjustable docking legs. You can get a glass lid cut to size for cheap locally. Or you can use a piece of acrylic from home depot temporarily as a lid.

Look for an AA member Rcguerra... He's using the high clarity rimless cubes for his Bettas. He's doing a trio of them... Cool build! Might give you some ideas.

I have been looking at his threads. Helping me keep motivated and excited about this project. I have a Top Fin 10 filter from my ten gallon. I'm going to use that to start off with, that way I can hook it up to my 75 and get it some bacteria.

Okay, so here is my shopping list thus far:
7.13 Glass Cube
Custom glass top, I know a good local glass place and will get measurements.
12" Finnex Fugeray
Light Timer
Digital Thermometer
Heater
Eco Complete

New Questions:
1. I'm considering pygmy cories to go with the betta. Would 5-6 pygmies and the betta in a planted tank of this size be too much?

2. I want the substrate to be higher in the back than the front. How do I keep it from sliding forward?

3. I'm think micro swords, red wendtii and jungle vals. Will these be suitable for this light, and what other plants that are easily found would you suggest?

4. Are there in carpeting grasses that will work with the light (I don't want to have to use CO2)?

5. What fertilizers or doses do I need?

6. Do I need any test kits to watch my water parameters to keep the plants healthy?

7. I'm also thinking of potentially putting a floating plant in. It will be kept to one corner. How would I keep it there and what type of plant would you suggest?

8. What is a suitable heater? I'd like to have one I could hide in the pump.

9. What should I use for a background to hide wires, pump, etc?

Thanks again for the help!

Nik

I have been looking at his threads. Helping me keep motivated and excited about this project. I have a Top Fin 10 filter from my ten gallon. I'm going to use that to start off with, that way I can hook it up to my 75 and get it some bacteria.

Okay, so here is my shopping list thus far:
7.13 Glass Cube
Custom glass top, I know a good local glass place and will get measurements.
12" Finnex Fugeray
Light Timer
Digital Thermometer
Heater
Eco Complete

New Questions:
1. I'm considering pygmy cories to go with the betta. Would 5-6 pygmies and the betta in a planted tank of this size be too much?

2. I want the substrate to be higher in the back than the front. How do I keep it from sliding forward?

3. I'm think micro swords, red wendtii and jungle vals. Will these be suitable for this light, and what other plants that are easily found would you suggest?

4. Are there in carpeting grasses that will work with the light (I don't want to have to use CO2)?

5. What fertilizers or doses do I need?

6. Do I need any test kits to watch my water parameters to keep the plants healthy?

7. I'm also thinking of potentially putting a floating plant in. It will be kept to one corner. How would I keep it there and what type of plant would you suggest?

8. What is a suitable heater? I'd like to have one I could hide in the pump.

9. What should I use for a background to hide wires, pump, etc?

Thanks again for the help!

Nik

Your shopping list looks fine, let me see what questions I can answer...I didn't study tho lol

1. I would just put in about 4 Pygmy cories and a betta in that tank. I guess you can go with 5-6, not sure though.

2. If you are using Eco-complete, you should have no issue with it sliding, I find that it holds a slope very well.

3. Micro swords will eventually carpet in the front, but take literally forever to lol. The crypt will work fine, but jungle Val grows quite tall for a tank of that size...usually you see jungle Val in taller tanks as the background since they grow like 5 feet tall or more..so you would have to keep trimming it which I do not think is healthy for the plant so IMO no jungle Val.

4. Dwarf sag is a common low-med light carpet plant with a "grassy" look, I would recommend it. I have it in my 60g and it spreads quite fast.

5. You need to put some form of CO2 in the tank first of all, I would just use Excel or glut. Then, you would need the regular ferts (micros and macros); I dose PPS-Pro dry ferts in all my tanks and I would totally recommend that. Dry ferts are always better than liquid ferts IMO.

6. Other than the regular freshwater test kit, you really don't need anything else except I would buy a phosphate, and GH & KH test kit. So you should have Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, Phosphate, and a GH & KH IMO.

7. Any floating plant like water sprite, salvinia, frog bit, dwarf water lettuce, etc. would work as a floating plant, you can float lots of plants and some are just supposed to be floated. There is quite a list to pick from!

8. I would use a Hydor Theo 25 watt...Brian recommended me one on my 6g and I have heard great things about them, though I have not been able to try mine out since my 6g is currently going through the DSM process...

9. Ooh! I got some etched window film from Billbug68 - he used it on his 12g - and I personally think it looks really cool and appealing, so I got some from him and used it on my 6g...also I think Brian's gf made simething very similar to the etched window film that he is using on her tank :) Where you would use a black background on a large framed tank you use etched window film on a small rimless tank lol.

Wow, thanks for the info Dan! The area I want the microswords, I actually want it to carpet, so that is a good thing.

Can you suggest a plant that reaches 9-12 inches for the back of the tank?

I think that Vallisneria Sprialis, or, Italian Vals (Same thing), would work well, they are a tall slender plant like all the Vallisneria species and you can actually cut their leaves to any size without damaging the plant...

Those look perfect, just the kind of thing I was looking for. Just ordered my cube so the project is officially under way. I think I'm going to try my hand at painting the background.

Cool deal. Can't wait to get this started :) you going to do a black background?

Either black or a very dark blue.

I'm going to take my time with this. I want to find the perfect piece of drift wood for the tank. I am getting excited to finally have fish in my room again. My big tank sits in a corner downstairs in a room that doesn't get much use. I only really get a good look at it during feedings.

Back
Top Bottom