I'd like to do a small 5 gallon planted tank... what do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, so I tried to set some stuff up, just for some pictures before I ordered plants, the heater doesn't fit inside my top fin 10. Will it fit inside the Aquaclear 20 filter? I got the hydor 25w.

Actually, I got the cube today and painted it. I put three coats of satin black krylon paint. I wrapped the aquarium in newspaper and then saran wrapped it. After three coats, there is a couple of places with light spray over. I have easily removed it with just my finger nail. I have some clean up to do so I can remove where the tape was, get finger prints, etc off. As easy as it was to paint, and as easy as the excess paint is to remove, I couldn't be happier. It looks like it came from the factory this way. I have pictures of the process, so I'll get it cleaned up over the weekend and get them posted. Another note as to painted it, my aquarium with a stick on background does not have the depth of this tank. It looks as if the whole back glass is painted (thickness wise, if that makes sense). I was very meticulous on how I taped it, but seeing the finished product, I wasted time because of how well it looks from the front. You would never be able to tell how the corners edged up (it seems). We shall see how that changes once it is filled. I have the filter cycling, the light, substrate, heater, blah blah is in the shipping/delivery process. All I have left to order now is plants and get the fish.

I actually only have one problem. The dimensions of the tank were wrong. It sits 3/8" too long on my desk. It over hangs and will be unsupported that much. Should I get a board to go underneath it so the weight is evenly distributed?

Any updates? Pictures? :)

Okay, so I tried to set some stuff up, just for some pictures before I ordered plants, the heater doesn't fit inside my top fin 10. Will it fit inside the Aquaclear 20 filter? I got the hydor 25w.

I don't think it will fit inside the filter. Why don't you just place it in the back of the tank? Maybe horizontal to the substrate?

Well since I can't hide the heater, I'll go ahead and order the plants this weekend. Unfortunately, this is a very busy time of year where I live (if you are a golf fan, I live where the Master's takes place). I have been working extra hours due to all the tourists. I have off tomorrow so I will try and find time to clean some stuff up and get the pictures posted. Otherwise it will take until next week. We have a lot of high end clients in town so it might be a few more days before I can really get everything set up. My desk is a mess right now!

Nik

The first photo is it taped up. The second is it all painted. The third is it on the desk. The fourth is it all filled up. Can't wait to get some plants in! I went to petsmart and they had nothing I wanted. Guess I'll be ordering them.

Attachments

• IMG_20130405_001857.jpg
    IMG_20130405_001857.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20130405_021451.jpg
    IMG_20130405_021451.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20130412_152531.jpg
    IMG_20130412_152531.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20130412_162318.jpg
    IMG_20130412_162318.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 73
Wow came out nice.. Welcome to the planted rimless club! Haha... Oh yeah, wanna join our club?

Planted Rimless Club

BTW, what plants are you looking for?

Joined!

I ordered frogbit, italian vals, red wendtii, dwarf hairgrass, ludwigia peruensis, and tiger lotus. Doubt I'll have room for everything, but it was cheaper to order $50 or more, than to order less than $50 once shipping was included.

The plants are shipping Wednesday, be in Friday. Will have more pics soon! Then it will be fish time.

Good selection. Adress the smaller (foreground) first, midground and lastly the longer ones. This will look great!

Here are a coupe of pics. The lotus is in the front left, in bulb form. Can't wait to see that grow. I really like the ludwigia and vals in the back. The crypt should look good once it grows in. Not sure how fond I am of the hairgrass. I'll see how it spreads then decide if I'm going to keep it.

Suggestions on color of betta? I'm leaning towards red atm.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 71
I have some sort of film where the current from the filter isn't strong enough to move the water a lot. Is this normal for a planted tank?

Yeah its a protein surface film. You can scoop it out with a cup before you do a partial water change. Its a bit tedious. Another method is to turn off the filter, and use a paper towel by laying it on the surface. Quickly remove the paper towel as it absorbs the protein layer... Repeat until gone... Do partial water change after.

If you bring the water level high enough so the flow coming from the filter goes forward, instead of down, you create enough surface movement that destroys this layer.

As far as i know its harmless. Although, if there's more surface agitation, it can help remedy it. Not sure about an airstone... I stopped using one a while back. I deal with the protein film with manual removal or in my other rimless tank, my lily pipes create a vortex that sucks that film down into the water column... Pretty neat.

Two paper towels easily removed it all. I'm going to bring the water level back up, I did have it fairly low so I could stick my hands in to maneuver plants.

I am still having this film with the water level raised. The fish will be in tomorrow. I will have to lower the water level some, as I have yet to procure a top for the tank. Hopefully Friday I will be able to take care of that. I plan on lowering the water level so that it would have to jump more than 2" until I get a top on Friday.

The fish arrived this morning. The dwarf cories are so small, it is adorable. The betta has splendid colors. I'll be posting pictures once the light is on. The cories are happily exploring every nook and cranny of the rocks. The betta is watching them and taking a look around his new surroundings. He was a bit aggressive for the first minute and has settled into fluttering around.

The fish came from Home. I could not be happier with the fish and the customer service. I found them on aquabid but set up a private transaction after a few emails. I would highly recommend them. The packaging was very high quality. The fish shipped out yesterday at four and arrived this morning before eleven. All fish were happy and healthy.

I'll post pics once the light comes on.

Back
Top Bottom