I'd like to do a small 5 gallon planted tank... what do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very well said Dan. And the rimless revolution spreads! Haha

BTW, to the OP, I've never painted on a background. I've only used other materials like contact paper or something. Just curious, is painting on a background a permanent thing?

I have been looking at his threads. Helping me keep motivated and excited about this project.

Thank you. Taking time to study and ask questions will save you time, money and frustration!

Okay, so here is my shopping list thus far:
7.13 Glass Cube
Custom glass top, I know a good local glass place and will get measurements. 11" x 11" will work perfectly, but ask for an ORGANIC sway on the back side to fit the filter and the wire of the heater. Right angles will cost you $25, while a sway will cost you $12 (glass included). Just add cheap lid winglets from e-bay (about 3 bucks for 1/2 a dozen) and you are all set.
12" Finnex Fugeray
Light Timer
Digital Thermometer
Heater
Eco Complete [Consider some organic dirt from Home depot/Lowes under the Eco Complete for a more nutritional substrate]

New Questions:

3. I'm think micro swords, red wendtii and jungle vals. Will these be suitable for this light, and what other plants that are easily found would you suggest?

Ludwigia (all species) are nice options. They have medium to small leaves, are easy to reproduce, add color (since they can be as red as arterial blod) and above all Bettas love them.

4. Are there in carpeting grasses that will work with the light (I don't want to have to use CO2)?

Liquid Carbon will work. I vote for Dwarf Hairgrass. Do your homework to plant them properly and speed the carpeting process though.

5. What fertilizers or doses do I need?

I use everything from the Seachem family: Flourish, Excel and Iron

9. What should I use for a background to hide wires, pump, etc?

I opted for a black background and long plants covering the entire back glass.

Thanks again for the help!

Nik

You are welcome. Ask questions and don't forget Youtube is a nice resource.

Very well said Dan. And the rimless revolution spreads! Haha

BTW, to the OP, I've never painted on a background. I've only used other materials like contact paper or something. Just curious, is painting on a background a permanent thing?

I don't know who OP is but here is what i learned from painting the back of my tank.

Yes painting would be more of a permanent thing unless you want to get a paint stripper to remove the paint. It would involve a lot of work. You can only paint on a glass tank never on a acrylic tank. The paint would leach through the acrylic eventually which would be hazardous to your fish.

OP = Original poster

Well if a painted background is semi-permanent, I would advise against it on a beautiful rimless tank. A lot of rimless builds do not use backgrounds and you might change your mind down the road as your taste evolves. Go with some black background paper or black contact paper. It's up to you but I'm just saying.

I would have to agree with Brian. I don't think I would paint a rimless tank. I really think the etched background would look really cool on a rimless tank. Just my opinion.

Brian and bdonaldson, I have never painted on an aquarium, but I have on glass. I plan on using Krylon spray paint. This will generally come off with a razor pretty easily, I don't see why it wouldn't just because its an aquarium. I've looked into this background type over the last couple days and lots of people seem to be have done this with no problems. I have always wanted to try painting instead of dealing with tap/stick on backgrounds, so I figure this is a great project to give it a try. As much money as we sink into these aquariums, whats the price of a cube if you decide to build a different one?

Rcguerra-
Do you have any pictures of your lid? I'm showing nothing on ebay about a winglet.

As for the organic soil, we used that for potting plants in college (I have a B.S. in Bio) and we used to find all sorts of invasive plants and inverts in those supposedly safe soils. I don't think I would feel to safe using that. Do a lot of people use that?

I really like the ludwigia, especially the red ones. I might go with them over the wendtii, or in addition too.

Thanks for the input ya'll!

Nik

I have some ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata in my 60g that is coloring up nicely now that I dosed extra phosphate. Totally recommend it, I may even be able to snip a few stems for you if you like? Just an option. I agree with everyone else about the etched window film, but if you want to paint it, go ahead and try it, you can always scrape it off if it doesn't look good.

Okay krylon it is then! Haha

For substrate, ADA aqua soil Amazonia is the best. But I've used Floramax, Eco-Complete, and Fluval Stratum to great effect. UP Aqua Aqua Soil, and Mr. Aqua Aqua Soil are good too.

Yeah, I use ADA AquaSoil Amazonia Powder type in my 6g, it's the best for nano tanks like these!! Though the powder type took me forever to find, I got a huge bag of it lol. I too have used Eco-complete and fluval stratum and they are also great candidates.

I have some ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata in my 60g that is coloring up nicely now that I dosed extra phosphate. Totally recommend it, I may even be able to snip a few stems for you if you like? Just an option. I agree with everyone else about the etched window film, but if you want to paint it, go ahead and try it, you can always scrape it off if it doesn't look good.

That would be nice. How tall do they get? The pic I found is a nice little bush.

Okay krylon it is then! Haha

For substrate, ADA aqua soil Amazonia is the best. But I've used Floramax, Eco-Complete, and Fluval Stratum to great effect. UP Aqua Aqua Soil, and Mr. Aqua Aqua Soil are good too.

How does Amazonia hold up as far as the substrate not shifting?

That would be nice. How tall do they get? The pic I found is a nice little bush.

Mine grow to the surface of my 60g (24 inches) and once I have had them grow out the surface. I just know they grow tall lol, but you can trim them fine.

How does Amazonia hold up as far as the substrate not shifting?

Once it gets wet, it holds a slope pretty well, I mean this is my 6g (its foggy cause it is doing DSM right now) -

i7xyPMOjgzKdS.jpeg

and I have had no issues with it sliding...its not a very defined slope but still.

I think it's light and can be shifted fairly easy. I've seen some professional aquascapers on YouTube use some type of inserts for structural support on real aggressive slopes. However, I've been layering my substrates by using Floramax as the first layer to create the slope then layering Fluval Stratum on top. Floramax and eco-complete are like tiny lava rocks and are very coarse, they hold slopes well as a result.

I don't think my slope will be too drastic, 3 1/2" at the back, 1 3/4" at the front. The Amazonia is more soil like as opposed to rocky?

I think it's light and can be shifted fairly easy. I've seen some professional aquascapers on YouTube use some type of inserts for structural support on real aggressive slopes. However, I've been layering my substrates by using Floramax as the first layer to create the slope then layering Fluval Stratum on top. Floramax and eco-complete are like tiny lava rocks and are very coarse, they hold slopes well as a result.

yeah it is really lightweight, I havent tested it with the tank full so I cannot say how it will be...and yes, you can use little support type things (I couldnt find them anywhere tho)...I have never layered my substrate but it sounds like a good idea.

I don't think my slope will be too drastic, 3 1/2" at the back, 1 3/4" at the front. The Amazonia is more soil like as opposed to rocky?

DSM is the dry start method. and yeah, the powder type is practically a really nutrient rich sand, and the regular is a little bit larger. Here is an odd comparison, fluval stratum and aquasoil both look like chocolate "Dippin' Dots ice cream" If you have ever seen that :lol:

Yeah ADA AS, Fluval Stratum, and UP Aqua/Mr. Aqua AS are fired ash and clay that's rolled into these round granules.. Very attractive substrates IMO.

Eco-Complete and Floramax are like tiny lava rocks.

Back
Top Bottom