Marimo matress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently split my marimo ball in 3 pieces, one for each tank, and the one in my betta tank is currently the flattest piece. He now thinks this is his personal bed and it amuses me to no end watching him relax on it. Hopefully he won't be too disappointed when it starts going ball shaped again.

Do you have a picture? I make java moss beds for my bettas. I use a clear plastic soapdish with suction cups to attach to the side of the tank and then fill the dish with java moss. I like Taiwan moss better when I can find it. My bettas all like to relax in the moss too!

I would also like to see pics! :d
Oh! I am so glad I read this! I have been looking for something to hang inside the tank for the bettas to sleep on! What a great idea with the plastic soap dish, and I am so getting some!
One of my bettas sleeps on the suction cup of the heater, and that makes me nervous, and another one has made himself a little cave in his plants, the other 2 just kind of hang at the surface of the water.

I could probably get a picture of what the marimo looks like right now, but if my betta caught sight of me looking while he's resting on it, he'd think it was time to eat and get all excited. XD

I'll try to get something up tomorrow after work.

Do you have a picture? I make java moss beds for my bettas. I use a clear plastic soapdish with suction cups to attach to the side of the tank and then fill the dish with java moss. I like Taiwan moss better when I can find it. My bettas all like to relax in the moss too!

I love the sound of that idea. Can you get a pic up of how it looks?

Bettas love sleeping on plants. There's a retailer (name escapes me) that sells a plastic leaf on a suction cup as a betta bed. I have java moss rubber banded to a cork that's weighted so it floats in the middle of the tank. My bettas love sleeping on that or the leaves of my amazon swords.

Bettas love sleeping on plants. There's a retailer (name escapes me) that sells a plastic leaf on a suction cup as a betta bed. I have java moss rubber banded to a cork that's weighted so it floats in the middle of the tank. My bettas love sleeping on that or the leaves of my amazon swords.

My dojo loaches do that too, except not just on plants. Anything they can find to lay on, they've been there done that. Even the plastic plants I have floating for the guppy ladies to hide in. (Can't afford more plants till that darn tax return comes)

I'll put a pic up tomorrow after my wc. Bed is lookin a bit janky at the moment.

jt2cfn.jpg

on top of the cypress, center of the wood, to the left of the center eheim hose you see a green patch, thats my 6" marimo ball flattened out, my L curviceps use it for a den, it lifts a little and they used that for their "spot"

I like them much better flat. and they dont go back to ball shape in a low current aquarium.

jt2cfn.jpg

on top of the cypress, center of the wood, to the left of the center eheim hose you see a green patch, thats my 6" marimo ball flattened out, my L curviceps use it for a den, it lifts a little and they used that for their "spot"

I like them much better flat. and they dont go back to ball shape in a low current aquarium.

Looks great. Do they still grow like that?

yeah its growing flat, I got alot of current but not in the area that the marimo is in now.

it forms into balls by tumbling around, a shallow tank and a power sweep powerhead at each end will do the job.

I like them better flat, Ive seen them up to 12" in diameter in ball form and they look retarded. smaller balls to 4-5" then flatten em out and create a different kind of beauty.

Its all rolled up like a taquito right now and the corydoras are piled in like circus clowns, they like it so it stays.

it forms into balls by tumbling around, a shallow tank and a power sweep powerhead at each end will do the job.
thats the key. they really wont form round balls unless they are rolling around or taken out and rolled in your hands. they are fine flat i see people who put them on wood and other things.

thats the key. they really wont form round balls unless they are rolling around or taken out and rolled in your hands. they are fine flat i see people who put them on wood and other things.

I think I saw a picture like that where someone had taken the time to get it to cover their driftwood. Thats a lot of marimo!:eek:

Here are some pictures of my bettas in their beds.

Kloey, in Monosolenium tenerum: (I ended up taking this plant out)
DSC02535.jpg

Wylie, in java moss:
DSC01083.jpg

DSC01087.jpg

See what you've done, An t-iasg? You've started a revolution. I'll be picking up my soap dish next Friday!

Ok, here's my little guy (Alfred) and his aquarium. The marimo decided to relocate beside the sword (which I know will eventually become way too big for a 5 gallon). I've got some eco complete and excel on order for what I plant to do, so the cave will only be staying till I get some other plants growing for him to fool around in.
30754_745831904928_20704987_42512398_3849997_n.jpg

See what you've done, An t-iasg? You've started a revolution. I'll be picking up my soap dish next Friday!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: My bettas are glad they could help!

I got my soap dishes at Target. The dishes are nice and smooth and clear. The suction cups will get stiff and lose suction eventually. When this happens you can cut them off the dish and replace them with heater suction cups:

Penn Plax Suction Cup Heater Holder-2 pk - Heaters - Holders & Guards at BigalsOnline

Cut the rings off and wedge the "nubs" that remain into the holes in the dish - good as new!

HeathB, I'm glad you're getting Eco Complete substrate. It's great to grow plants and the darker color will lessen the stress on your fish. I had one of my first bettas in a tank with white gravel too. I'm not sure if I observed any signs of stress but I read that fish don't like white or light substrates. They stand out too much when viewed from above and that can attract preditors. Maybe not in the tank by himself :) but I've read that fish prefer a darker substrate and I think that makes sense. It's more natural to them.

BTW - Alfred is beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom