Mebbid's high tech 40b journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Due to boredom and dislike of the footprint of the 55g tank I have decided to break it down and set up my 40 breeder instead.

Setup:
4x aquatic life t5ho
Aquatek CO2 regulator
5lb CO2 tank
Sunsun 304b canister filter
Eheim Ecco 2234 Canister
Eheim Jaegar 250w heater
Pool Filter sand
Miracle grow organic soil

The tank is painted, dirted, and filled right now. I'm just running some filter floss in an extra filter to clear the water up before adding fish.

I'm just excited about finally being able to use my massive piece of driftwood I bought way back when I first started fish keeping. My eyes were too big for my tank at that point :D

pmoDfmy.jpg

Sick!!I like your style.. I'm considering grabbing a 30 breeder tomorrow and tearing down my 29... I'd have to mock up lighting though.. I want a low tech carpet and I think it's the only way...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sick!!I like your style.. I'm considering grabbing a 30 breeder tomorrow and tearing down my 29... I'd have to mock up lighting though.. I want a low tech carpet and I think it's the only way...

Thanks!
Is it the height that's giving you problems with par?

With medium light you can do a low tech carpet of Star repens

I got my 3 angels and all but 1 pleco pulled out of my old tank and acclimating. I forgot just how much of a nightmare this was.

As of now my stocking is going to be:
3 Angels
9 Harlequin Rasbora
4 Praecox Rainbows
2 GBR
2 BN plecos
1 Orinoco Angel pleco
1 Rubber Lip pleco

SgDuLfN.jpg

Thanks!
Is it the height that's giving you problems with par?

With medium light you can do a low tech carpet of Star repens

I'm not so much having a problem with par.. it's more the 12" depth and lack of space for all that I want in the tank.. I have some ar mini from OS I'd like to spread out, also.some micro chain that would benefit greatly.. I have the lighting and the glut. Knocking 6" off height would open up doors not windows I'm thinking... and yes tear downs hurt.. the back ahahah... the only thing holding me back is the reminder of just how much actually goes into a tank swap.. I've only done 3, none close to the colossal height of a 55 though..

I spent about 5 hours yesterday working on the tank switch and got it mostly finished before going to bed tired and water logged. Now I just need to finish up today!

Go Mebbid! Save the back. Take lots of liquid refreshment breaks. Following. 40B is SO sweet. Good luck. OS.

Even though it's a shorter tank the extra depth front to back makes it way more interesting to aquascape and even watch the fish swim around. I'm loving the 40b already :)

Sounds like a fun project!

Yeah, it's a very nice change. I haven't really changes the aquascape of my 55g around in about 9 months so it was well overdue.

Looks really good! How's the light covering the deeper tank?

Very nice! Got some 40b envy here. The plants complement the DW (or the other way around).

Thanks! I almost turned the driftwood the other way so the lighter side was facing up but I figured that the darker driftwood would contrast with the sand a little better. I'm actually surprised at how nicely it turned out, now I just need to attach my enormous java ferns to it :)

Looks really good! How's the light covering the deeper tank?

The 40b is actually 4 inches shorted than the 55g so I am assuming it will be too much light. I'm just waiting for the hair algae to show up :)

Oh sorry, I meant it's 18" to the 55's 12".. didn't know if you had shaded areas in the front or back.. I may have worded that in correctly...

Ahhh gotcha. The fixture is about 10 inches wide so it was too large for my 55g. I couldn't even get my arm in the tank :)

It gives great coverage.

Sounds like you got it covered than.. no pun intended..

Tank looks good so far! Good initial planting. Yeah, I like my 55 but some times struggle with the lack of width. I finally got it how I want it now though.

Have to love the footprint of a 40b. So many options. Mine has to be my favorite tank.

Looks very nice, can't wait to see it in a few months as everything grows in.

Tank looks good so far! Good initial planting. Yeah, I like my 55 but some times struggle with the lack of width. I finally got it how I want it now though.

I didnt really think there would be much difference with the differing dimensions but it really does make a huge change.

Have to love the footprint of a 40b. So many options. Mine has to be my favorite tank.

Looks very nice, can't wait to see it in a few months as everything grows in.

I'm kind of scared for the die off that's bound to happen. Particularly with my micro chain sword and star repens. Hopefully they are able to pull through nicely.

It's gonna be great to see things finally grown nicely again. I kind of let my plants suffer in the 55g for a while.

Back
Top Bottom