Need some advice on ideas for a new 2.5 g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What would be some plants I might be able to put between stones? And what about background plants?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you have the tank yet? Make sure you share photos of its progress (y)

I don't have it yet, I'm waiting on my weather to warm up so I can sell my snails in another tank so I can move another tank where the snail tank is and move the new tank to the place where the other tank was. If that makes any sense ;D

I don't have it yet, I'm waiting on my weather to warm up so I can sell my snails in another tank so I can move another tank where the snail tank is and move the new tank to the place where the other tank was. If that makes any sense ;D

Definitely makes sense to me, seems like I constantly have confusion going on in my life :blink:

I want it to warm up and stay warm! And o have to get a stand because the thing holding my snail tank can't hold the tank im moving there :/

Some good low light options for you to research include...

Crypt parva, lutea, lucens, wendtii
Java Fern 'narrow leaf', 'philippine'
Anubias nana petite
Dwarf sag
Mosses - christmas, flame, Taiwan, peacock (personally I'd skip the Java fern)

And if you have the cash then I'd highly recommend checking into some bucephalandras -- they're the perfect nano tank plant (but are also very expensive).

Sent from my iPad using science

Thanks for all the ideas!! And why not Java fern? And do you have any ideas for a caper plant other than flame moss?

Java Fern should be fine, but the regular variety gets a little too large for my tastes in smaller tanks. The stingray unfortunately will not really give you many options for carpet style foreground plants. Marsilea minuta or possibly lilaeopsis chinensis could work, I would just expect agonizingly slow growth. Dwarf sag is grassy-like but grows a little tall to be considered a true foreground plant in such a small tank. I'd look into moss + SS mesh or a large quantity of crypt parva.

Java Fern should be fine, but the regular variety gets a little too large for my tastes in smaller tanks. The stingray unfortunately will not really give you many options for carpet style foreground plants. Marsilea minuta or possibly lilaeopsis chinensis could work, I would just expect agonizingly slow growth. Dwarf sag is grassy-like but grows a little tall to be considered a true foreground plant in such a small tank. I'd look into moss + SS mesh or a large quantity of crypt parva.

I love how the marsilea minuta looks, but I want a plant that will carpet the easiest. Which plant is the easiest to carpet?

The thing is, with your light no plant will carpet very easily. Traditional carpet plants typically thrive in med-high light with pressurized co2 and ferts. In low light situations you just gotta get a little more creative, hence the moss on SS mesh recommendation or lots of crypt parva. Dwarf sag is at least worth trying too depending what exactly you are looking for.

I thought Finnex lights where good? And I'll give it a shot with the moss! I've got dwarf sag in a tank with decent lighting and diy co2 and it's been there for about 2 months with no runners... And does the crypt parva carpet on its own?

Finnex lights are very good lights, it's just that the Stingray was specifically designed to be for low light planted set ups. The crypt parva will spread on its own but will take a while to do so. Any plans to add diy co2 to this tank? It's possible with diy co2 (and the right ferts) you could get some of the less demanded carpet plants to do ok, although I'm guessing you'd probably need to add a second Stingray for added light.

Finnex lights are very good lights, it's just that the Stingray was specifically designed to be for low light planted set ups. The crypt parva will spread on its own but will take a while to do so. Any plans to add diy co2 to this tank? It's possible with diy co2 (and the right ferts) you could get some of the less demanded carpet plants to do ok, although I'm guessing you'd probably need to add a second Stingray for added light.

Oh ok! Could I set up diy co2 for like a month or two on a high level and then stop using it once it's carpeted? I'm going to have shrimp so I don't want to even have to think about co2 causing any issues or anything... What ferts could I use? And is the planted plus better? Because getting another light is like the same cost of the entire tank, so I would want the best light! Is the stingray light better than the ones on the fluval specs?

Oh ok! Could I set up diy co2 for like a month or two on a high level and then stop using it once it's carpeted? I'm going to have shrimp so I don't want to even have to think about co2 causing any issues or anything... What ferts could I use? And is the planted plus better? Because getting another light is like the same cost of the entire tank, so I would want the best light! Is the stingray light better than the ones on the fluval specs?

DIY co2 would help plant growth for sure, but I'd skip it if you're only planning on using it temporarily. Shrimp love moss so that would be a good option! If you're sticking to a lowtech set up I'd just get a bottle of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone and dose per bottle instructions. Root tabs will be necessary for root feeders like crypts. Seachem Flourish Excel could also be used to give a little extra carbon for the plants. The Planted+ is a considerably stronger light. I'd only recommend it for nano tanks with either co2 or very high Excel/glutaraldehyde dosages otherwise you're going to end up with an algae farm. I'm not familiar with the Fluval Specs but I'd assume the Stingray is a little better, but probably not by a huge margin.

Ok, how about excel? That's what I have already. I'll just stick to the one light and see how it does.

Ok, great! I also found some other plants I really like! Would I be able to have Vesuvius swords and Stargrass?

Back
Top Bottom