New Power Glo T5-HO balast (2x 36")

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joyler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Parents just bought me a new balast for my 50 gallon (36"x15"x20"). It is a Hagen Power Glo T5-HO 2x36" and they also bought me bulbs for it! The 6700K full spectrum, and 18000K super bright...is this too much energy goin in to a tank? It will be planted, and it will be a community, but kinda wondering what you think of the bulb combo...have never heard anything about the 18000K...

That isn't too much light. You'll be able to keep quite a few plants with that light. I'm not too sure how the 18,000k bulb will do. I've seen people say they work, but they typically don't have as much usable light for the plants. Usually, 6500k-10,000k bulbs are recommended for plants, though that doesn't mean that bulbs below or above that range won't work... they may just not be as effective.

I think that's a good amount of light for a planted 50g tank. I would exchange the 18K bulb though for something a little lower. personally I like to mix 6700k and 10000K. The 18000K is probably too blue for the plants to use.

Ya, I was reading that it's only good for algae growth ( they said that jokingly)...so I thought I'd come to AA with my inquiry...you guys always know just what to say :)

Does anybody on here have experience with the 18000K?

I want to say Floyd R Turbo had an 18,000k bulb on one of his tanks but that's been a long time ago. Normally, 18,000k bulbs are used in reef tanks.

Ya...that's what I've read...so I'm thinkin returning the 18000 is probably gonna be what I do...

That would be your best bet. Get a 10,000k... It, combined with your 6700k will give you a nice bright white light, as well as much more usable light for the plants.

Is the 18000K what they call "actinic" lighting? Sorry so many questions :)

Back
Top Bottom