Some lighting questions:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is sort of a repost but I'd figure I'd update this thread as well. My lighting desires have been answered!!

Today on the way home I broke down and ordered the 48" Catalina 4x54w HO T5 fixture. It was on sale for $149.99, with lunar lights costing an extra $30 and $25 for shipping. He came down a little and I got em for $185 total. I'm really happy. He said it would take 2 or 3 weeks before he could get em to me so I have time to research, shop, and buy CO2 stuff, substrates ferts and plants.

I'm really excited about the lunar lights as I always want ot see whats going on in the tank at night, but don't want to stress the fish or wake em up.

As far as heat goes, he said not to run em with my canopy on. This kind of bummed me out but I figured it might happen. I know T5 are some ofthe coolest fixtures so I guess it's probably not good to run any fixture under a canopy?? This is not a huge issue as I tinker and rearrange stuff so much my canopy is usually off anyway, it would just be nice to run them when the tank is looking pretty with teh canopy on without having to worry about them overheating.

I think I mentioned how I lost an ebay auction for the exact same setup (in the last 30 seconds). That auction went for $15 more than I got em ($200 even) so I think I got a good deal. They're a heck of a lot cheaper than AH supply's and already made. Each bulb has it's own reflector which I really like.

Anyway I'd really like to thank you all who contributed to this thread, it really helped me learn and spot a good value. Lighting is done. Onto the other stuff.

One last question:

The guy at Catalina said that the bulbs he would suggest for plants would be 4x6,500k. I asked if 10,000 and he said to stick with teh 6,500 b/c theyre the best for plants. Is he right? I don't want my tank to look too orange/yello and would like the brighter white of the 10,000k bulbs. Is movingn from a 6,500 bulb to a 10,000 bulb a step down as far as usable plant light goes? I think the answer is "No" and I should call him back and ask to get it with 2 of each color temp.

Basically anything from 5000K to 10000K will work just fine for plants. It's all a matter of which look you prefer. A lot of people like to mix those two color temp bulbs.

As far as the canopy goes, you could probably run the lights in it if you were to mod it to create sufficient venting and install fans.

Thats what I thought, the guy at Catalina was sure that 6,500k would be better than 10,000k. Hmm. Either way I'm gonna ask for him to switch 2 x 6,500k bulbs for 2 x 10,000k bulbs today.

Again thanks for all your help Purrbox, Neil and Ingg. You saved me from the Odyssea blunder and really helped me find a quality setup for a good value.

Back
Top Bottom