Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Maybe your test kit is bad.

Did you say tank has been up for 2 weeks? The tank wouldn't be cycled yet.

I would do back to back 75% water changes. Take a 1 cup sample of water before you change the water, get it to the lfs to retest and verify the 0 results. Change the water even if you can't get the sample to the store.

Clean water won't hurt the fish only help no mater the situation. If you are using flake food, I would recommend be careful not to over feed and try Hikari microbites, don't cloud water, easy to measure/pinch a few little pelleted food particles at a time. I have had some bad experiences with regular flake foods like Tetra Min and Wardley.

Don't add any more fish for sure.

Make sure you don't have the lights on for more than 4-6 hours in a stretch.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Maybe your test kit is bad.

Did you say tank has been up for 2 weeks? The tank wouldn't be cycled yet.

I would do back to back 75% water changes. Take a 1 cup sample of water before you change the water, get it to the lfs to retest and verify the 0 results. Change the water even if you can't get the sample to the store.

Clean water won't hurt the fish only help no mater the situation. If you are using flake food, I would recommend be careful not to over feed and try Hikari microbites, don't cloud water, easy to measure/pinch a few little pelleted food particles at a time. I have had some bad experiences with regular flake foods like Tetra Min and Wardley.

Don't add any more fish for sure.

Make sure you don't have the lights on for more than 4-6 hours in a stretch.
I use API Master Test kit for FW, so I am pretty sure it is not wrong, I tested 2 or 3 times over 3 days. Then when a fish died, I took it my lfs and they tested it themselves, they said all my parameters were perfect! I use spectrum pellet food for small fish.

The tank is a little over a month old, and it did was cloudy, then it went to clear, so i thought it was cycled. Now it is cloudy again, i dont know why?

I leave the lights on for 12 hours a day because I have plants, it is on a timer. I dose seachem flourish too.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Cycling involves the gradual build up of beneficial bacteria in the filter material the process takes a little time to build up enough to be able to keep a tank stable with the fish waste from your fish.

It's good that the lfs verified the results. I would still change the water.

Maybe someone else will have better advice.

Algae will grow more when you leave the light on so long...my aquarium plant book says to give them a siesta, or rest period during the day a couple hours off in the middle is supposed to alter algae plant growth pattern reducing growth.

Good luck with the fish. Maybe they were just not well to begin with.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was suggesting you start problem solving, not that your fish store is to blame. Suggestion stands.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the tank near a window? What's the tank's temperature and is it consistent? Do your fish show any signs of illness or odd behavior before they die like clamped fins, spots, or refusing to eat or swim around?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
Is the tank near a window? What's the tank's temperature and is it consistent? Do your fish show any signs of illness or odd behavior before they die like clamped fins, spots, or refusing to eat or swim around?
The tank used to be around 82-84 and i twas way too high so I switched my 200W wit a 100W. Its not really near a window, it is in the basement and has those tiny windows near the top of the walls but no sunlight hits the tank, and the tank stays at a stable 74-76 degrees now (I uses a crystal sticky thermometer).

The fish refuse to eat and they don't swim before they die, they just sit in one spot. They dont show any bodily signs (Swollen, Bleeding, red gills, etc.), just not moving.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #17

The end product of a cycled tank should read 0 ammo,0 nitrites& usually high nitrates which are reduced to an accepptable level between 5-15ppm by a large wc..following week of continued tests confirming the levels above...my friend it doesn't seem that your tank is cycled.. it should have been a red flag to the employee at your lfs that you had 0 nitrates...however its not uncommon in a heavily planted tank that nitrates could bottom out,thus the needed addition for additional dosing..but don't believe that its the case here...
Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger terror View Post
The end product of a cycled tank should read 0 ammo,0 nitrites& usually high nitrates which are reduced to an accepptable level between 5-15ppm by a large wc..following week of continued tests confirming the levels above...my friend it doesn't seem that your tank is cycled.. it should have been a red flag to the employee at your lfs that you had 0 nitrates...however its not uncommon in a heavily planted tank that nitrates could bottom out,thus the needed addition for additional dosing..but don't believe that its the case here...
What should I do then? What could have happened? I am 100% sure I dont have ammonia and nitrites because thats what the lfs stores employees said. Maybe some nitrates but im not sure
Old 09-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #19

Again what fish do you have in your tank? Also stay away from adding various chemicals,is this your first tank and are you knowledgable of the cycling process ...during this process all you will is a good declorinator( imo-seachem prime),the ability to do tests on a daily basis&tons of patience..also realise not all lfs employees will deliver the correct advice...this is a very rewarding hobby&the end result will be deeply satisfying...
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

What filter are you using? Are you cleaning it by any chance? If not don't do it, I'm just asking to rule things out.

Tags
dyi, dying, fish, fish dying, uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com