UV Sterilizer?? FISH DYING! PLEASE HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That should be adequate aeration. Especially, if you are using it with the aeration tube that is typically provided with them but even if you aren't it should be fine rippling the surface.

That is good to know, Im not using the aeration tube, just ripples. The tankis still cloudy, how long do you think it will take to clear up? Is it okay to top off evaporated water?:thanks::thanks:

If you want. I would add it with a bucket over a plate and add some stress coat or de chlorinator before hand just to be on the safe side. Is it getting any clearer?

I bought a 10g tub,put a return pump in the bottom with a clear return line into the tank to replace water from evap or pwc's,this allows me to do other maintenance while the tank is filling...I use the aquean water changer hooked up to the sink to remove the water from the tank at the same time filling the tub so its ready to start filling,I also have 2 5g buckets ready to fill the tub as it becomes empty... What's that you say? Why don't you use the water changer to replace the water back into the tank? Because...I treat the water prior to putting in tank...some people say just add enough (prime,which I use) conditioner directly to the tank to treat the total volume&then add your water...I myself don't like adding untreated water straight into the tank as I'm more comfortable pretreating the water and letting it sit while I do my maintenance while tank is draining using that water to clean various components of the filtration...

If you want. I would add it with a bucket over a plate and add some stress coat or de chlorinator before hand just to be on the safe side. Is it getting any clearer?

Yea haha thats what I did yesterday, I didnt use a plate though, It didnt displace enough grael to make a difference.

I havent noticed any difference in clarity though.

I use actinics and daylight bulbs, when both are on, the water is milky white, when it is only daylights, the water is green. This is very curious, because it hints both bacteria bloom and green water algae

I bought a 10g tub,put a return pump in the bottom with a clear return line into the tank to replace water from evap or pwc's,this allows me to do other maintenance while the tank is filling...I use the aquean water changer hooked up to the sink to remove the water from the tank at the same time filling the tub so its ready to start filling,I also have 2 5g buckets ready to fill the tub as it becomes empty... What's that you say? Why don't you use the water changer to replace the water back into the tank? Because...I treat the water prior to putting in tank...some people say just add enough (prime,which I use) conditioner directly to the tank to treat the total volume&then add your water...I myself don't like adding untreated water straight into the tank as I'm more comfortable pretreating the water and letting it sit while I do my maintenance while tank is draining using that water to clean various components of the filtration...

I really like your ideas! I was wondering, and was also uncomfortable with the idea of direct chlorine into the tank, but everyone kept on telling me it was fine to just add it directly to the tank and add enough for the whole tank. The only problem is I dont know what return pump to bu, because they are kind of expensive. My tank is 21 inches tall and is on a about 25 in. stand, so about 4 ft of head I guess. Do you know any good return pumps? Which one do you use?

Also, alot of people I have talked to use prime, is it the best conditioner out there? I use stress coat, i used to use top fins dechlorinator.

Stress coat is a good product but I prefer prime(great product)..tovreduce head pressure simply set the tub up on a chair..

Aquazan said:
Why is prime so good? What return pump do you use?

Prime is trusted because it never interferes with protein skimmers, doesn't harm purigen with excessive slime coating agents, and does what it claims to do. I've had problems with other similar products in the past but never with prime. It isn't the only good option for any single task but it works perfectly for everything I've needed it for in both saltwater and freshwater.

CorallineAlgae said:
Prime is trusted because it never interferes with protein skimmers, doesn't harm purigen with excessive slime coating agents, and does what it claims to do. I've had problems with other similar products in the past but never with prime. It isn't the only good option for any single task but it works perfectly for everything I've needed it for in both saltwater and freshwater.

+1 to that CorallineAlgea..treats water effectively right out the tap...neutralizes chlorine,chloramine& ammo right the tap so it can be easily removed by filtration...wouldn't use anything else...can also be used to eliminate toxic levels nitrites,ammo&nitrates within the aquarium...

+1 to that CorallineAlgea..treats water effectively right out the tap...neutralizes chlorine,chloramine& ammo right the tap so it can be easily removed by filtration...wouldn't use anything else...can also be used to eliminate toxic levels nitrites,ammo&nitrates within the aquarium...

Haha yeah I will switch to Prime soon just to be on the safe side :)

Its also good for emergencies

:thanks::thanks:

Thank You!

Im switching to Prime from now on. What is Purigen? lol Im very curious :)

Thank You!

Im switching to Prime from now on. What is Purigen? lol Im very curious :)

You're welcome! Purigen is a replacement for carbon. Most people avoid using carbon in planted tanks because it removes some of the fertilizers that we add to feed the plants.

If we use driftwood or some other decoration that makes the water yellow or brown and want the water to be clear, without stripping away our ferts, Purigen is the go-to chemical media. It's cheaper than carbon, does a killer job at making the water crystal clear, and last for years because it can be regenerated and used over and over.

A lot of people don't use any chemical media and their tanks are awesome. It's not necessary to use anything in a lot of tanks. If you happen to have yellow/brown water and want it to clear up Purigen is king. Carbon is still important to have around though, just in case you have to medicate a tank to fight a sickness. Carbon is the best at removing the meds after the treatment is finished.

I just tuned into this thread. I ran a fresh water breeding facility for years and we never trusted the tap water. It can contain stuff you don't expect or treat for.

UV sterilizer is probably a waste of money. They are high maintenance, tricky to setup right and don't necessarily kill all the parasites you might be targeting. Healthy fish resist diseases. Resist adding chemicals of any kind. Purigen is excellent and far superior to just using carbon, I use both in my saltwater setup.

You're welcome! Purigen is a replacement for carbon. Most people avoid using carbon in planted tanks because it removes some of the fertilizers that we add to feed the plants.

If we use driftwood or some other decoration that makes the water yellow or brown and want the water to be clear, without stripping away our ferts, Purigen is the go-to chemical media. It's cheaper than carbon, does a killer job at making the water crystal clear, and last for years because it can be regenerated and used over and over.

A lot of people don't use any chemical media and their tanks are awesome. It's not necessary to use anything in a lot of tanks. If you happen to have yellow/brown water and want it to clear up Purigen is king. Carbon is still important to have around though, just in case you have to medicate a tank to fight a sickness. Carbon is the best at removing the meds after the treatment is finished.

Sweet! I will try to switch to Purigen too because I fert on a strict schedule, and I dont want carbon to cancel that out.

How much Purigen for a 75 gallon tank? How do I recharge it? it says to soak in a buffer solution??

Aquazan said:
Sweet! I will try to switch to Purigen too because I fert on a strict schedule, and I dont want carbon to cancel that out.

How much Purigen for a 75 gallon tank? How do I recharge it? it says to soak in a buffer solution??

One jar of it will be enough. That's about 250ml or something, I forget the measurement. You'll need a proper bag for it, a normal carbon bag won't cut it. They sell one made for it called "The Bag" strangely enough. The difference is it's very fine and doesn't allow it to escape and it's also resistant to bleach.

Yes, I use a minuscule amount of acid buffer in the last step to regenerate but I doubt most people bother with doing it. The only things you need to regenerate it are water, plain bleach, and prime. You could use acid buffer but all you need is the very tiny bottle of it and it'll last you years and years. I use about a 16th of a teaspoon or less each time (comes with the spoon in the jar) and I regenerate it about 3 times a year. It says you can do it 8 times total but I had some that lasted for about 8 years, no kidding.

BRF sells a single chamber reactor it works well in for under $50. It's nice to be able to see the Purigen. It turns a toasty brown when it is done. Careful use of bleach allows reuse many times. Had not heard of the acid buffer stage. Will check that out.

Wait so you are rinsing off all the filter media in tap water once to twice a week? I have read that it is best to rinse all the filter media in old tank water so that you dont kill all the good bacteria. Also I only clean mine in old tank water every few months or so or when its gettin bad. But yeah just make sure not to use tap water to clean all that...

brunettebaby4571 said:
Wait so you are rinsing off all the filter media in tap water once to twice a week? I have read that it is best to rinse all the filter media in old tank water so that you dont kill all the good bacteria. Also I only clean mine in old tank water every few months or so or when its gettin bad. But yeah just make sure not to use tap water to clean all that...

Chlorine in the tap water will pretty much kill bacterial in your filter media, basically starting it over again with a lot of dead bacteria. Don't use raw tap water for anything but rinsing off buckets and stuff.

Chlorine in the tap water will pretty much kill bacterial in your filter media, basically starting it over again with a lot of dead bacteria. Don't use raw tap water for anything but rinsing off buckets and stuff.

I just clean the foam pads in it, I leave the Bio Balls alone though, the carbon isnt meant for bacteria? I have a lot of Bio Balls too. THe foam is hard too clean if I dont have running water

Yeah I wouldnt clean any of that in tap water...Bacteria is on all that stuff. You arent going to get it super sparkley clean lol but it should come pretty close to being clean in tank water. And like I said I wait til mine is pretty grody before I wash it.

Back
Top Bottom