UV Sterilizer?? FISH DYING! PLEASE HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do it the same way the others do it by rinsing it in tank water. I just fill a fish keeper (convalescent home) with tank water and squeeze it out as best as I can a couple of times. It may seem ridiculous but honestly, it's better to have a 'mostly' clean filter pad with live bacteria than a very clean pad with no bacteria and left over chlorine that may get to the bio-media. Your way isn't wrong or bad. It's just a little bit riskier. The idea is to do what works for you and your fish. We only mention it because you're having trouble with your fish and we want to pass on every bit of advice we can to help out. :)

Yeah I wouldnt clean any of that in tap water...Bacteria is on all that stuff. You arent going to get it super sparkley clean lol but it should come pretty close to being clean in tank water. And like I said I wait til mine is pretty grody before I wash it.

Wouldnt the Bio Balls make up for it?:thanks:

I do it the same way the others do it by rinsing it in tank water. I just fill a fish keeper (convalescent home) with tank water and squeeze it out as best as I can a couple of times. It may seem ridiculous but honestly, it's better to have a 'mostly' clean filter pad with live bacteria than a very clean pad with no bacteria and left over chlorine that may get to the bio-media. Your way isn't wrong or bad. It's just a little bit riskier. The idea is to do what works for you and your fish. We only mention it because you're having trouble with your fish and we want to pass on every bit of advice we can to help out. :)

Yea haha I understand, Im open to all the info I can get. :)

I think I will just use your method to be on the safe side. I have a whitish film on the top of my water, is that the dead bacteria?

So I just fill a bucket with tank water and splash/squeeze the filter pads?:thanks::thanks::):)

I was alwa under the impression that UV lights kill anything that passes through it. I have the same filter in my.55g planted and it cleared HEAVY green water in a week.

I was alwa under the impression that UV lights kill anything that passes through it. I have the same filter in my.55g planted and it cleared HEAVY green water in a week.

Haha thanks, I dont have green water though, my fish are healthy now

I sometimes get a film on mine when the water doesnt circulate as well from my floating plants. Maybe just get some more movement on the top of the water and it should clear up.

Most likely excess protein which isn't a bad thing...went through a short period of this when my 20g tall planted tank was getting established...more surface aggitation will help keep it broken up but it should subside soon on its own..

Back
Top Bottom