We got our dwarf/pygmy catfish today :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok.

Yeah it is early. I just hope this world and we don't need more Meds after a week. They may not even have any.

From the scooping thing how exposed do you think our betta is? :(

Not very much if at all. Still I would monitor him. But on a positive note I got my new betta today.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We will. We keep an eye on him always anyway.

I hope it's not fish tb. Obviously it's not good for fish but I read what it can do to people. Awful. Ugh.

Yay!!! What kind/colors?

We will. We keep an eye on him always anyway.

I hope it's not fish tb. Obviously it's not good for fish but I read what it can do to people. Awful. Ugh.

Yay!!! What kind/colors?

I don't think it's that. I am thinking it's either bacterial or fungal. And Ragnar is green, blue and red and a half moon tail. He has some ammonia burns but I think he'll recover.

Well that's good. Fish tb freaks me out a lot. And people can can get it.

Is this sort of thing pretty easy to clear up usually that you know of?

We never should have got fish from a tank w dead fish. Twice even! Eh. He was so causal and was like it was stress probably. Blah.

I think after this just a lone betta fish for us. Ack! We don't want a sick betta either but we'll keep an eye on him. :)

Wish we hadn't moved the sand like that. Ugh. But it's probably fine. Is this stuff in the water or usually just the actual fish?

::sigh::

And yay! Pretty boy :D. You'll get him better :)

Well that's good. Fish tb freaks me out a lot. And people can can get it.

Is this sort of thing pretty easy to clear up usually that you know of?

We never should have got fish from a tank w dead fish. Twice even! Eh. He was so causal and was like it was stress probably. Blah.

I think after this just a lone betta fish for us. Ack! We don't want a sick betta either but we'll keep an eye on him. :)

Wish we hadn't moved the sand like that. Ugh. But it's probably fine. Is this stuff in the water or usually just the actual fish?

::sigh::

And yay! Pretty boy :D. You'll get him better :)

Yep. Careful monitoring and proper dosing will help. I would use the full dosage now that we know that you have sick fishies for both melafix and Pimafix the full dose is 1/2 teaspoon. The infection is in both your fish and water. But since you took sand from a healthy tank I don't think your betta is in danger. And thank you. I'll upload his picture soon. He's a fighter already :)

:)

We were doing a little research online for cories, and it says in general to use half the dose since they don't have scales and are usually more sensitive.

I am definitely going to treat them as a preventative measure, but, I am not so sure they are acting weird/sick. Their fins on top are down a little, but, only half of them are and I don't know if it is clamped. Not quite sure what that means. They're like wilted down a little I guess? But not totally.

As for the shimmying, I am not quite so sure they are doing that. They wiggle up and down and side to side along the side of the tank, but I don't think they're doing it in one place/in place. And fish wiggle when they swim right? Ehh. I didn't see the one place part of what you asked before, somehow I missed that when I answered. I think that's normal behavior for them, to shimmy around (not in place).

Obviously the tank they came from was somewhat questionable, but, I am not so sure they're sick, but, they still are going to get treated with what you suggested :) Also I did read a few things where people used salt and it did not harm their fish. But I am a little skeptical of that. A little couldn't hurt probably though.

And you're welcome! I can't wait to see his pic! And nice name :D So you like Vikings huh? I haven't seen many episodes, but, I like the show as does my other half.

We were doing a little research online for cories, and it says in general to use half the dose since they don't have scales and are usually more sensitive.

I am definitely going to treat them as a preventative measure, but, I am not so sure they are acting weird/sick. Their fins on top are down a little, but, only half of them are and I don't know if it is clamped. Not quite sure what that means. They're like wilted down a little I guess? But not totally.

As for the shimmying, I am not quite so sure they are doing that. They wiggle up and down and side to side along the side of the tank, but I don't think they're doing it in one place/in place. And fish wiggle when they swim right? Ehh. I didn't see the one place part of what you asked before, somehow I missed that when I answered. I think that's normal behavior for them, to shimmy around (not in place).

Obviously the tank they came from was somewhat questionable, but, I am not so sure they're sick, but, they still are going to get treated with what you suggested :) Also I did read a few things where people used salt and it did not harm their fish. But I am a little skeptical of that. A little couldn't hurt probably though.

And you're welcome! I can't wait to see his pic! And nice name :D So you like Vikings huh? I haven't seen many episodes, but, I like the show as does my other half.

Well you know your fish best. Most fish don't wiggle while swimming but catfishes aren't the most hydrodynamic fish so it's entirely possible that that's normal swimming behavior. Oh yes. Love the show. I named one of my platys after Rolo. He was unfortunately bullied to death by another platy named after Jeremy Irons.

We've only had them a week and have no experience with them previously, but, it seems like from a bit we've read that it is normal. I guess I am not sure what wiggle means. I mean when I watch fish in most any tank swim, their midsections or close to there move from side to side a little bit. Our betta does. That's how a fish swims isn't it? I don't mean to sound ignorant :/

:) I need to watch it all... we still have it on the DVR. I'm sorry that that happened to your fishy :(

We've only had them a week and have no experience with them previously, but, it seems like from a bit we've read that it is normal. I guess I am not sure what wiggle means. I mean when I watch fish in most any tank swim, their midsections or close to there move from side to side a little bit. Our betta does. That's how a fish swims isn't it? I don't mean to sound ignorant :/

:) I need to watch it all... we still have it on the DVR. I'm sorry that that happened to your fishy :(

Yep.

Doing a 50% water change then going to the pet store and hoping they have everything.

They seem to be a acting ok :). A few have fins a little down. Swimming seems to be normal. :). One was a little weird but we realized he was caught under the current a bit.

Doing a 50% water change then going to the pet store and hoping they have everything.

They seem to be a acting ok :). A few have fins a little down. Swimming seems to be normal. :). One was a little weird but we realized he was caught under the current a bit.

Cool. Most fish stores do.

I lucked out! They had trial sizes of QuickStart and stresszyme :)

They had mela and Pima fix. Wish they had smaller bottles of those but smallest was 4oz. And bought an extra net. Spent about $25 not bad. :)

Here goes...

I lucked out! They had trial sizes of QuickStart and stresszyme :)

They had mela and Pima fix. Wish they had smaller bottles of those but smallest was 4oz. And bought an extra net. Spent about $25 not bad. :)

Here goes...

Yay!

Took out the carbon filter squeezed it, it's drying in the sun. I wanted to keep it wet in case it had any good bacteria in it because I think it does from being in the cycled tank for a few days, but, if they do have anything, that would not be good in the filter.

So I am gona dry it out and before we use it again, rinse w really hot water. Or should I rinse it now?

I added the quick and stress stuff, I'm gona wait about a half hour, then add the meds. Does that sound ok?

I know you suggested doing a full dose, but we read that catfish should only have about half since they don't have scales and are more sensitive as a result. I read salt is probably fine so maybe I'll throw some in tomorrow, not sure yet.

They had a decent selection of fish Meds so if I need the other medicine you suggested I think they have it :).

How will I know if they need more Meds? Like I said they seem fine now.

The guy at the store didn't really say much when I said I'm treating just in case since there were dead fish in the tank when I got them. :/. And I asked about their normal behavior he said watch them in the tank here. Oh well.

Medicine added. Heaping 1/4 tsp of each is what I did. Thankfully they weren't really too close to the area I added everything when I added it. I added it all close to the filter too.

I hope this does the trick, seems like it should :).

I can't wait to have them in the tank w the betta :)

Medicine added. Heaping 1/4 tsp of each is what I did. Thankfully they weren't really too close to the area I added everything when I added it. I added it all close to the filter too.

I hope this does the trick, seems like it should :).

I can't wait to have them in the tank w the betta :)

It really should! I dug up two useful links that I'll post here for everyone to see and message to you. Granted this is encouraging to use their products but it doesn't devalue the useful information about diseases and symptoms/behaviors they have.

API Fish Care Tropical Fish First Aid Chart (descriptions of diseases and treatment suggestions): http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/Tropical_Fish_First_Aid_Chart-6.pdf

API Fish Health Article (describes basic "I'm not feeling so good!" behaviors and what they may mean): API Fishcare: Articles

No. I only saw one in the tank (there must have been more but I didn't see them, since they like to hide on the rock in there lol) that we got them from when I was there, and I was a little short on time so I didn't stick around as I wanted to get things going for my little guys. I'll see if I can find some videos on YouTube or something though :) But from all written descriptions we've found thus far, I believe they are swimming and behaving normally :)

Last edited:

No. I only saw one in the tank that we got them from when I was there, and I was a little short on time so I didn't stick around as I want3ed to get things going for my little guys. I'll see if I Can find some videos on YouTube or something though :) But from all written descriptions we've found thus far, I believe they are swimming and behaving normally :)

That's good. Petco usually has a good selection of fish meds and would probably have the stronger ones if necessary. (As an aside did you consider picking up some Bettafix for Bubbles? Bettafix is a less concentrated version of Melafix just for Bettas and if your Corys are indeed sensitive it will be much gentler on them as well) Fingers crossed that they don't need them! And there's a betta pics thread and I posted a picture of Ragnar there.

Back
Top Bottom