Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Banded carshark help

Ust adopted a 12" banded catshark I know nothing about it has anyone raised one I know that my tank is to small (250gal) how long can I keep it in this tank thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2073276336.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	113708   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-358142782.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	113709  

Old 08-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Banded sharks are pretty easy to keep actually. Unfortunately they need lots of room to swim. The most important thing is their eating habits. Most sharks tend to go on a eating strike when introduced to a new tank. Make sure you have good flow in your tank. I'd do some research on liveaquaria.com as well as the rest of the Internet. What else do you have in the tank with it?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

A 8" lionfish and a 6" long horned cow fish my tank looks really empty trying to find some new fish to add not sure what yet pics are when I was setting up water was a bit cloudy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1396165971.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	113716   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2441751410.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	113717  

Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

They'd be ok for tank mates. Few rocks and cliffs/caves would help as well.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Where is a good place to buy rock do I have to buy live rock or can I get dry rock I think for this tank I will need 400lbs or more I have a ton of lava rock that I use in my cichlid tanks not sure if I can put that in a salt setup this is my first saltwater tank everything I have was given to me fish tank and supply
Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm confused! You just inherited a 250 gallon tank with fish that I would consider expert level fish. What do you currently know about saltwater we may be able to help you better if we knew that.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

One of my good friends just moved he gave me his tank because I've been into tanks for a long time (freshwater) as for saltwater this is my first tank. I've been around saltwater for the last 1 1/2 years with this friend but I have no hands on experience with salt. I want to take the best care that I can that's why I'm asking for help I'm hoping I can find the help I need or advise here I don't really trust the Internet because it says the shark only needs a 180gal tank which I'm sure is false my friend got stuck in that trap now I am. So if there's anything I really need to know so I can advoid a rookie mistake I would really appreciate it thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh wow that's a jam man. I don't know to much about These particular fish and I hope more people will chime in. What I do know is you will have to watch your water parameters really closely at this point. Am I correct in that you just moved the tank and re-set it up? If so did you use the existing rock that was in the tank? How about the water, did you reuse it from the previous set up? Wow so many questions come to mind. Sorry
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was able to save about 100gals of water and all the rock is in the tank it's taken me 6 days but I finally got it full with r.o water my ammonia was at the stress mark on my test strip when started filling it I'm going to test the water again tomarro to see if a water change is needed again I know about nitrites and nitrates I'm sure it's the same as freshwater my biggest fear is having to tell my friend I killed his fish. And I know nothing about cleaner crews for salt there are 2 hermit crabs and a star fish are they the cleaners or is there more and can I buy dry rock for saltwater what type of rock I use lava in my fresh will that work in salt sorry for the short story I'm just really stressed over trying to do my best without messing it up thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Given the responses provided and what seems to be a bit of a worried frantic sense to your posts, im gonna say that your best bet is to possibly find an experienced salty hobbyist near you to take the fish while you gather your bearings and get the tank properly set up. Being as to how its a 250g tank, repeated pwc's are gonna get expensive rather quickly. In order to successfully maintain these fish in a healthy environment, you are gonna need certain tools and gadgets. Those being a refractometer (to measure the SG or "specific gravity" of your saltwater mix, 1.022-1.025 is ideal) a master SW test kit ( stay away from API Nitrate tests) various measuring cups and a few 5g buckets. Now onto the tank. In sw, the optimum lr ratio is 1-2 lbs per gallon.. So obviously thatll put you at 250-500 lbs of lr. Id personally shoot for 375-400..

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com