Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Carbon filtration really necessary?

Just thinking that if I'm using purified water from a water store, do I really need to use carbon filtration? I just assume leave it out of my sump. Thoughts???

jeremy arsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Carbon is not just for things that may already be in the water used for water changes.

In most situations the bad things that carbon removes should already be removed with a healthy water change schedule. However, there are some situations that could benefit from its constant use. One big example in saltwater is that leather corals give off small amounts of a mild toxin. This can be most evident with SPS in the tank, which will not do as well. Corals in general carry out chemical warfare or may be triggered to carry out direct warfare (stinger tentacles) by chemical cues in the water. In both cases uses carbon (at least occasionally) could be very beneficial. Some use it all the time, some only use it for a day once a month.

I say try it and see if you can see any difference. If not don't keep wasting your money on it.

Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I have a FOWLR tank only. Should I decide to add corals, I will keep that in mind. Thanks!
jeremy arsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
As long as you have chaeto or something and run floss/filter socks that you regularly remove/clean, you don't really need carbon. But if something kicks the bucket or releases toxins, carbon could keep the tank from collapsing and does indeed remove many decomp results/toxins.

You don't need it if you keep up with water changes, but there's no doubt that it does improve water quality and is definitely helpful when housing things such as leathers, some sea cucs, and w/e corals engage in harmful alleopathy.
Display tank - 24g nano w/ softies/montipora

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote

carbon, filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com