Fish for sand turnover in agressive tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently gone through 3 diamond gobies. I had one months ago and have been wanting another one since he died. In the tank with him is: Dwarf Lionfish (5"), Porcupine puffer (6-7") Yellow tang (4"), and a dwarf golden eel. No one ever bothered the first goby I had. I attribute this to the fact that he was the first fish in and the other fish were smaller.

The first replacement goby was too small and I think he became an expensive meal for my Lion. The second goby was bigger and I thought that "He's too big for the lion." The next day he was missing and I feel he met the same fate. The third was as big as you can buy in the store. He lasted 4 days (with the lion constantly lurking over his cave) until I came home to a dead goby (not eaten this time).

So I now accept the fact that I cannot have another diamond goby which I am going to miss. The goby made a mess, but kept my sand turned over and spotless. I have 20-25 snails and about 20 hermits to keep the sand "clean" but I want something to turn the sand over and push it around. I don't mind smoothing out the piles once a week when I do water changes.

I'm thinking about a dragon wrasse. I know they are a little tougher, but will they push the sand around?

Have you checked out a tiger wardi goby? They are similar to a diamond but IMO are a bit tougher. An engineer goby will make caves and tunnels and grow to 9-10" but they don't actively clean sand outside their caves.

I've got a banded dragon goby that is in with my dwarf lion, a Niger trigger, and two damsels and he has never been bothered

what about some sort of goatfish, depending on what size tank you have a yellow and boat goatfish could be ideal? if not maybe a smaller one

maybe ask on here see if you can find anyone with experience in bicolour goatfish. I think a porcupine puffer may well hassle anythingy you put in there though potentially to death epecially as your 105 gallons off the recommended size tank for a porcupin puffer even if its too big for a lion fish to eat.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. The puffer is still small and I am looking into a bigger tank.

Well if its so obvious got to wonder why you have it in a 75 it's all well and good looking into another tank but if you going to have fish should have them in a tank for the adult size how will you judge when the 75 becomes a hinderance on the fish? All I'm saying is that you don't provide adequate conditions for the fish I.e. a porcupine in a 75 your going to get more aggresions issues etc than you would if its in a tank of recommend size so I'd recommend taking the puffer back until you have the right set up for it

I had the same issue with my lionfish a sand goby, 1 he ate the next bigger one he got to jump out of the tank somehow. He also ate my long engineer goby. I had a dragon wrasse as well which surprisingly was eaten by my niger trigger at the time. Aggressive tanks can be hard, I have a community tank as well to keep my options open, but with the aggressive tank I've just found the bigger the better really.

Back
Top Bottom