great news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got offered a free 55 gallon fish tank after the guy put a trigger with a lionfish and the lionfish stung it and poisoned the whole tank i am not planning on making it a reef tank do you have any stocking suggestoins?

Just to clarify things so that the poor lionfish species does not yet suffer once again from bad press, although the lion may have stung the trigger, and the trigger may have died from it, Lionfish do not "poison" anything. They do not have that ability. They are venemous, not poisonous. Venom is "injected" into the victim, via the spines in the case of the lionfish.

It is safe to put anything you want into that tank, that is suitable for the size.

no problem, just trying to explain the difference. You can even turn it into a tank with corals if that is what you want to do and you have the funds to do so.

I have a 55g reef with a pair of maroon clowns, a lawnmower blenny and a watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo. Some would think that lightly stocked but my fish are happy and with the large clowns, there is plenty of activity in the tank. :)
You have a good many options with that tank. You could do a pair of smaller clowns with maybe a dwarf angel. And then maybe a school of chromis. And then maybe a smaller fish like the gobies and blennies. There are lots of them to choose from. If you keep it a community tank, you have alot of options on ornamental inverts as well. Pistol shrimp, cleaner shrimp, crabs, etc. Look around your lfs, see what's available and research things that catch your eye. Plan out what you want before buying and be sure to add the fish slowly. Oh, and QT. :) Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom