Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Glad I've been a bit helpful.

As far as the range that fish can tolerate my honest answer is it depends on the fish. Some people throw fish right in to cycle a tank and sometimes the fish actually survives. ANything over .25 is erason for an immediate water change though. Once you get to that level you are starting to poison the fish. It's a toss up as to how long a fish can last. I would also stay away from starfish for a bit, they are notoriously hard to keep especially the linkias. I had one starfish and he actually disingrated leg by leg over a weeks time. Very hard to watch. If you want a starfish I would suggest the serpent stars, they are alot easier to keep and are pretty neat, some will take food right from you.

What did you add fishwise this time? Hopefully not alot or not big time messy fish...

Old 02-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Don't beat me up too bad. Tis is what is in my tank right now.

Powder Brown Tang
Lunare Wrass
Falcula *Butterflyfish
BiColored Angel Fish
Fimbriated Morey Eel
Spotted Cardinal Fish
Green Chromis
Four Striped Damsel
Clown Fish
Yellow Tail Blue Damsel

Fluorescent Green Feather Duster
Caribbean Feather Duster
Bubble Anemone
Electric Blue Hermit Crab
Emerald Crab
Spotted Moon Crab
Long-Spined Sea Urchin
2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
6 Snails
Cowry

Old 02-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #13

Ps I'm giving the eel back. While its only 8 inches now, I have a deal to exchange him for a smaller snow flake from the place I bought him.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well, that is ALOT of fish for a brand new 75g. I'm afraid you are going to see a huge ammonia spike with big fish like that. I would have said get a couple clowns and test it out but you've got a full house already. lol The key is to balance the beneficial bacteria with the bioload of the fish. Adding a big amount of fish means a big amount of waste which will give you ammonia spikes. The beneficial bacteria builds up as you introduce fish to the tank which is why you should stock slowly in the beginning. Just be on the lookout for that ammonia reading and when it gets to .25 get ready to change some water.

In case no one told you that tang you have really needs a 6 foot tank, they tend not to be so happy in smaller tanks and can fall ill. So keep an eye on him.

I wish you luck, hopefully this time you won't have any losses.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #15

Thanks for well wish. I never put more than one fish in per day. I think 2 in a two day period is the soonest I've put them in. Still, I completely get your point.

I got the tang at a discount. It was in a tank with equal sized triggers and handsome nip marks which have started to heal. I see myself getting a bigger tank when I Move into the new house. 1 year or so down the road.

Assuming all that I have now survives, do you think I have room for one more. I would love to save up for a juvenile harlequin tusk? Thoughts on space and choice of fish?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Tusks get pretty big. I wanted one for my 90g but decided in the end that the tank was too small. So my thought would be no to a tusk. Awesome fish though. If you had less fish it would still be too big unfortunately. Sorry.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #17

Then I'll wait for the bigger tanks. Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

+1 Carey, I think you need to slow down. Rushing these things can only cause you heartache.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with all Carey has advised you with too, also I would question why your LFS has sold you this amount of stock so closely together? I know aswel as anyone the temptations of "just one more" but it sounds as if they are giving you an impersonal and poor service in allowing you to make these purchases without suitable advice. Take it steady, you'll get there!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com