livestock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have four chromis and two clown fish in my 30 gal. I'm going to add one maybe two more fish. Have any suggestions? I'm looking for non-aggressive fish and can't make up my mind. I like a peaceful community in my tank. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

How old is the tank, how long have each of the fish been in there, and what are your nitrate readings? So many questions because it's hard to simply say do or do not add any more fish, or only add this or that without some tank history.

Some would say you have enuf fish already, but I'd like to get answers to my questions first.

Guess I'm the "some" in the "some would say you have enuf fish already!" In fact, I'd even say you might have too many, by a hair. So I guess my advice would be to not add any fish - not even a little goby.

I remember seeing an answer on another forum to the question, "How many fish can I put in my XX gallon tank?" The response was something like, "Keep adding fish and when your tank crashes, subtract one from the number of fish that you HAD and THAT is the number of fish you can put in it."

Agreed, I would get rid of the chromis if you are looking to add something else. I always thought they were super boring anyway :rolleyes:

Otherwise I'd say your full up.

2 clown fish, 1 neon goby, and 1 watchman goby (or substitute a canary blenny). Then you'll have your orange/white (clown), your vivid blue (neon goby), and yellow (watchman or canary).

I like the idea of returning the chromis to have more colorful and interesting looking fish. Good call Jimbo!!

Guess I'm the "some" in the "some would say you have enuf fish already!" In fact, I'd even say you might have too many, by a hair. So I guess my advice would be to not add any fish - not even a little goby.

I remember seeing an answer on another forum to the question, "How many fish can I put in my XX gallon tank?" The response was something like, "Keep adding fish and when your tank crashes, subtract one from the number of fish that you HAD and THAT is the number of fish you can put in it."

lol nice, have to remember that one!

Austinsdad: the tank's 4 mos. old and my nitrates are 10/20 depending on God knows what each day. I think one more fish could fit in without upsetting the cart. I keep a close watch on the parameters. Any ideas?

There are a lot more factors then just nitrates. There is a reason they call it a tank "crash" loads of variables will spin out of control before you even realize it, and its bye bye fish tank.
That one extra fish you want is not worth their lives.

I know that feeling. Excited about a new tank. Loving seeing new stuff in it. Oh yes, I've been there.

I'd still rather see you sit for a few weeks more. I'm guessing the clowns were added only recently.

Whatcha got for cleanup crew? Maybe a brittle or serpent star, or a couple of shrimp will satisfy that jones for something new.

Think about those chromis though. They are taking up valuable space for very colorful and more interesting fish.

Austinsdad: I have two brittle stars, two snails and several nassarius snails. I don't agree about the chromis. In my tank anyway, they constantly change color depending on where they are in the tank. Sometimes electric blue, other times green and silver. And they are active fish not hiding behind a rock somewhere and not beating up on the others. I really like them. Thanks for your reply always looking to learn.

Back
Top Bottom