Multiple Lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone ever kept more than one Volitans in a tank. I have a 180 that now has a baby puffer, clown tang, niger trigger and majestic angel. All are less than 3 inches, only the angel is close. I saw a display at the aquarium one time of multiple lions, and I thought it would be cool to have two together in this 180. I would of course start with babies, so bio-load would not be a problem, and really down the road it wont be, I have a 100 gallon rubbermaid sump and am putting on a Penn-Plax canister filter today. Anyone kept more than one?

I think your puffer would nip at them constantly. They will also eat just about any fish or critters they can fit in their mouths.

Oh, I am aware of the behaviors, I kept a large puffer with a larger lion before. I know there are risks with the puffer and the trigger for that matter of fin nipping. But I am more interested if two lionfish are compatible together.

The Russell's Lionfish doesn't do well with others. Are you thinking of all of one type or a mixture?

probobly two volitans would be most likely. I have read several accounts of them coexisting well, even partnering. Just would be cool to see too lionfish in a tank!

Lionfish tanks are not terribly uncommon, They often times hunt in groups in the wild, and generally tolerate their own species. I also have mine with two puffers and have never had a problem. Before adulthood puffers are very passive with other fish, and even after they reach adult age, most aren't going to be real terrors. The biggest thing that worries me is that my puffer will impale himself on the volitan's spines as my spiny box puffer is such a klutz.

IMO you would be perfectly fine with 2 or 3 volitans in a tank, and even with a puffer in the mix.

Cool, thanks for the real life experience pinkie! In what order did you add them?

I'm going to try two small Volitans with my current tank mates,see how it works. I may have some finnipping, but we shall see. Then maybe the tusk and I will be flly stocked! May wait on the tusk though, not sure I have enough room. But it will take a LONG time for them all to outgrow a 180, 300 here I come!

roka64 said:
Cool, thanks for the real life experience pinkie! In what order did you add them?

I added the two puffers before I added the lionfish, and happily still didn't have any aggression issues. The puffers are as mild mannered as can be, and the only things they nip at are inverts and my fingers.

Sounds like a good list MACATUA. Tusks are great fish. Very colorful, very active, and have the perfect personality for those other tank mates. Good luck with the two lionfish, keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom