queen angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrys rocha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how to feed an young atlantic queen angel fish ( holocentrus ciliaris)?

This might help....
Aquarium Fish: The Blue And The Queen Angelfish — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
"Adult queen angelfish feed almost exclusively on sponges (96.8% of the diet in one study) and consume a variety of different species. In one report, the stomachs of 26 specimens contained 40 different species of sponges, representing 33 different genera. Adults also supplement their diets with tunicates, hydroids, and bryozoans. Juvenile queen angelfish feed primarily on filamentous algae, but also clean other fishes of crustacean parasites."

And I hope you have a tank that's large enough for this angel.
"...attain a maximum length of around 15 inches."

I knew someone with one of these years ago. Gorgeous fish when fully mature! They got theirs as a juvenile and it ate meaty foods from the start. Apparently as they mature and are introduced to tanks, they are more picky.

They do get big...this was in a 300 and it still looked big in there. :) They are sensitive to nitrates too, so you've gotta watch those a little more than a lot of other Angels. It's also wise to add them last and into a well established tank, preferably with lots of algae.

Thanks a lot!
The fish is in a stable 360 liters tank.
It's apparentely feeding on flocks, but it can always be seen biting the rocks and bothering a Golden Moray Eel, may be removing parasites from its skin.
So, I'll try to improve algae and sponges.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom