Tank upgrade!! 8-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can at least access it from doors, right?? I clean my sump that way. It isn't comfy, but it works. And I have a mini gravel vac that i suck detritus that gets in the bottom out. Sometimes if you can take the top off your skimmer as you should do every few days to once per week anyway, you may be able to get the skimmer out w/ the top chamber off. But yeah, I don't think you need to clean the bottom chamber that often. All's mine had was some minimal small white things, polychaete on it when I got it used w/ the tank & stock. My skimmer top chamber gets dirty pretty quick though! I've been cleaning that every 3 days or so. Good luck!!

Tango- yes! I do have access to it from the doors lol, that would be no bueno if I didn't... I gather from the posts that a deep cleaning on the chamber isn't too imperative, but I will vac out all the detritus that settles there. Thanks for the response!

Tango- yes! I do have access to it from the doors lol, that would be no bueno if I didn't... I gather from the posts that a deep cleaning on the chamber isn't too imperative, but I will vac out all the detritus that settles there. Thanks for the response!

A filter sock or filter sick material cut to fit in your filter basket helps to prevent detritus!

I had issue with buildup into sump. I put cheap panty hose on all my return lines and replace them during weekly water changes. Thy do a great job collecting junk for 49 cents.

I had issue with buildup into sump. I put cheap panty hose on all my return lines and replace them during weekly water changes. Thy do a great job collecting junk for 49 cents.

Return lines? Where do you put them? Or is it
like a filter sock...?

Return lines? Where do you put them? Or is it
like a filter sock...?

hmm... wouldn't you wanna catch junk *before* it goes into the sump & settles so less cleaning of the sump? The filter sock does not rinse out, needs to be replaced & is expensive :\ I bought 100 micron rating stuff, definitely need to find a less expensive alternative! I have bio-sponge type cylindrical covering on the return pump & that picks up the big stuff.

It does catch it going into the sump. They are on everything, not just the return. I have it on the inline and even the return off my protein skimmer. They work great.

It does catch it going into the sump. They are on everything, not just the return. I have it on the inline and even the return off my protein skimmer. They work great.

I will need to try it... I'd try anything!! Do you double it up or just 1 layer?

Hank- are you using these as a substitute for a filter sock? Maybe a pic of one? Just trying to get a clearer understanding of how you utilize them...

Yes, substitution for a filter sock. Give me a couple and ill throw up some pics. I change them out weekly, so I switch them out tomorrow. You'll get to see them dirty :).

So new lighting will not be in my immediate future and will be using my 4 bulb wavepoint T5 Ho fixture for this tank while I can save some scratch to buy new lights... I'm somewhat confident from what I have read with this light and the ability to keep softies and LPS, which is all I really want to anyways, in a 75 gallon tank. Question is, what is a good combination for new bulbs, as I'm in need of replacing them anyways? Should I stick with 2 10k's, and 2 actinics, or do 3 actinics and 1 10k, or 2 actinics and 2 12k's...? I guess there are quite a few options, and I like the "slightly bluer" look to marine tank...

Buy ATI blue plus and ATI aquablue specials, 2 of each. They are very high PAR lamps and you'll like the color they make the tank.

Buy ATI blue plus and ATI aquablue specials, 2 of each. They are very high PAR lamps and you'll like the color they make the tank.

Thank you sir.... That was easier than I thought it was going to be :cool:

Hey Ben! I can see your tank is coming along! I was reading about the filter sock. Have you all used the disposable milk sock filters? I was getting tired of washing out the $7.00 socks so I ordered some!

Hey Ben! I can see your tank is coming along! I was reading about the filter sock. Have you all used the disposable milk sock filters? I was getting tired of washing out the $7.00 socks so I ordered some!

Nikki! Where ya been?? No, I haven't heard of those... Any links you can post? And yes, tank is slowly coming along. Will be all set up by early next week, as I am finally on vacation! How's your tanks been since you lost some of your fish? 8-/

I use pantyhose on the drain to my sump also. The air mixed in makes some bubbles that some of the larger particles ride untilled they are stuck to the pantyhose out of the water column. (To simplify, almost like a type of protien Skimmer)

Back
Top Bottom