Tank upgrade!! 8-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nikki! Where ya been?? No, I haven't heard of those... Any links you can post? And yes, tank is slowly coming along. Will be all set up by early next week, as I am finally on vacation! How's your tanks been since you lost some of your fish? 8-/

Haha! I've been a busy bee! My tank is great! I've added an ORA mandarin that is doing well, started my own "pod farm", hatching brine for my others, and OMG...have a ton of cool stuff I've learned about from some cool Aussie's to share with you!

Also, I bought one of those Jaebo WP 40's...wow! They work great! Also ordered some of the following that I learned about from an Aussie reefer that claims they work great. I'm gonna give it a go!

http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure.php

The milk filter socks have to be changed more regularly though.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/search/?q=milk-filter-sock

Nikki! Where ya been?? No, I haven't heard of those... Any links you can post? And yes, tank is slowly coming along. Will be all set up by early next week, as I am finally on vacation! How's your tanks been since you lost some of your fish? 8-/

Also, the two clowns I lost were due to my neighbor spraying the room. He only sprayed that part and then the little re re put his hands in the tank. His mom felt bad but it's okay. At least I know it wasn't disease or parasites because I QT'd them FOREVER!

Haha! I've been a busy bee! My tank is great! I've added an ORA mandarin that is doing well, started my own "pod farm", hatching brine for my others, and OMG...have a ton of cool stuff I've learned about from some cool Aussie's to share with you!

Also, I bought one of those Jaebo WP 40's...wow! They work great! Also ordered some of the following that I learned about from an Aussie reefer that claims they work great. I'm gonna give it a go!

http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure.php

The milk filter socks have to be changed more regularly though.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/search/?q=milk-filter-sock

Nice! Thank you... Good luck with the Mandarin! Unfortunately mine died 8-( Might give it another go with this tank. I'll check those links out too... Stick around please, hopefully this thread will gain some momentum this weekend :cool: It's been pretty boring, but I gotta give many thanks to @Mr_X and @Sniperhank for bearing with me through all the boring stuff!

Nice! Thank you... Good luck with the Mandarin! Unfortunately mine died 8-( Might give it another go with this tank. I'll check those links out too... Stick around please, hopefully this thread will gain some momentum this weekend :cool: It's been pretty boring, but I gotta give many thanks to @Mr_X and @Sniperhank for bearing with me through all the boring stuff!

I'm not going to lie...I was really nervous about buying him. That little 2 inch fish cost me $80! LOL! He does eat just about anything though and I spot feed him so to make sure he eats. He's pretty cool! The pod culture is easy to do and I started with Tisbe pods. I just am not depending on pods for his main diet. I made the mistake of ordering pods from R2G. They sent mostly amphipods. Those stupid things literally attacked my snails! My mandarin wouldn't touch them and I later read that a lot of mandarin will only eat the little ones. I baited most of the big ones out but not before watching them devour two of my snails!

If y'all are on Facebook go and join STL Reefkeepers, addictive reef keeping, saltwater aquarium and reef keeping, and saltwater aquarium forum and sales. Great pages with lots of good info as well!

If y'all are on Facebook go and join STL Reefkeepers, addictive reef keeping, saltwater aquarium and reef keeping, and saltwater aquarium forum and sales. Great pages with lots of good info as well!

Will do for sure!

Any reason to NOT use these flexible Flanged Tailpiece plastic things I found at Home Depot, as an ending to my drain tubing? It will just give me some flexibility into my filter sock..?

Sorry, pics would help :cool:

image-2820758524.jpg

Attachments

• image-3258412881.jpg
    image-3258412881.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 54
Please comment on this... The left to right bubble is dead center, this is the front to back level. Tiny bit off, is this a huge concern? I really have no way of shimming the back of the stand again, other than the back corners from the sides, but i wouldn't be able to get behind the stand because it's so close to the wall, but I will if I absolutely need to. I would imagine there is a small tolerance??

image-3790366775.jpg

The flex pipes look ok, and I also wouldn't worry about the out of level stand. It's not that bad.

I actually nixed the flex pipes... Will fashion some
filter sock holder shortly.

image-2944592095.jpg

It's all plumbed and I needed to make a small stand for my skimmer due to its outlet pipe needing to be out of water.

image-2613359336.jpg

Pretty tight fit under there for sure... I really pushed the envelope when they said .5" clearance needed to remove collection cup lol..

image-3215494401.jpg

Here's my next issue:

As I was on my couch looking at the tank, I can actually see a very small gap between the tank and the stand, on the sides and front as well. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the tank trim is bowed, and doesn't run straight. The 4 corners of the tank are on the stand. Will this settle into place when filled, or am I screwed? I read that because the tank has a brace and that the stand doesn't actually make contact with the glass, that it should be ok. I clearly don't want to take any foolish chances based off of ignorance...

You are fine. No, it will not correct once it's filled with water. Are you sure the outlet on that skimmer is supposed to be out of water? The req's say 10" of water is ideal. All the skimmers I've ever owned except for the aquamedic turbofloater had the outlets submerged.

You are fine. No, it will not correct once it's filled with water. Are you sure the outlet on that skimmer is supposed to be out of water? The req's say 10" of water is ideal. All the skimmers I've ever owned except for the aquamedic turbofloater had the outlets submerged.

Yea, here's the manual:

It's a little cut off but read #5

image-2161962110.jpg

Also, you said

"You are fine. No, it will not correct once it's filled with water."

Can I rephrase that to "no, it will not correct once it's filled with water, but you are fine" ??

And if so, this seems poorly crafted, no? But who am I to say so, I'm sure Aqueon engineers are good at what they do!

LOL..yeah, you can rephrase me.

Hmm..about the skimmer...I'm thinking that will make a heck of a noise with water crashing....

Oh...wait a second...I think they mean the sideways bend, not the bottom opening. On the older versions they had a different outlet. There was no gate valve...
See how I have mine. Technically, the sideways bend in the outlet is above water. That's your outlet pipe.
img_2531910_0_efae4232f731163e35c9fb6d77e665e1.jpg

Last edited:
LOL..yeah, you can rephrase me.

Hmm..about the skimmer...I'm thinking that will make a heck of a noise with water crashing....

Oh...wait a second...I think they mean the sideways bend, not the bottom opening. On the older versions they had a different outlet. There was no gate valve...
See how I have mine. Technically, the sideways bend in the outlet is above water. That's your outlet pipe.

Yea, that's about the same height the sideways bend on mine will be at... The bottom of the outlet pipe will be right around the water level of the chamber it is in. I called my LFS and he said as long as there's not any negative pressure back flowing into the skimmer it will be fine... As soon as I began to explain the water level/baffle height/owners manual he knew exactly what I was asking lol...

Now I'm no engineer/handyman/architect, but if you could explain how a tank that has a gap between it and the stand will uphold 700+ pounds of matter, I would greatly appreciate it (so would my wife lol)...

Back
Top Bottom