Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Addict

Considering buying a new stand altogether. Is there a decent stand that has a "door" that will enable a sump to be slid in from the side? Kind of like the RSM stands?

Old 05-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Honestly, I looked and looked for stands that could fit a sump in. I decided to pay about the same price to have a stand built for me. I spent $240 dollars on my stand, and I think it looks better than any one you can buy. (That includes paint)

Find a wood shop and give them your specifications and how much your willing to spend. Than you have no issue with a sump!! I find it was around the same price of buying a stand already made.

My stand is 20in wide, and 48in high. My 55 gallon tank sits a little to the back giving me a shelf sort of deal that's about 4in. Good to put things on when needed. :-p

Only downside is I had to prime and paint it. Priming IS VERY IMPORTANT! don't skimp out on the priming!! Painting took me two weeks as the latex paint had to dry fully in between coats. I did three coats on the outside and only one coat on the inside. I did prime the inside and outside with a very good quality primer. Lightly sand after priming. Use wood putty to fill in the screw holes after priming. Than sand the screw holes, and prime over them again. Paint your stand whatever color you want (I did midnight black), and wait about 2 days in between coats to allow the paint to fully dry. Do it in a dry place as well. I had a dehumidifier by it, that helps!! Latex paint will suck if you don't allow it to dry in between coats! It will be sticky and will act like glue to the ground or even the tank. It takes about a week to paint (Got to wait 2 days in between coats), than I left my stand sit for a week before I put anything on it!

Good luck!! Here is some pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8444.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	171019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3299.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	171020  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2619.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	171021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8108.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	171022  

Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post
Considering buying a new stand altogether. Is there a decent stand that has a "door" that will enable a sump to be slid in from the side? Kind of like the RSM stands?
What happened to taking that top brace off? It will be fine....don't worry. You don't need a new stand.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
What happened to taking that top brace off? It will be fine....don't worry. You don't need a new stand.
Paranoia mostly... I will stay the course on the stand I have! Thanks for the reassurance.

Baron- thank you for your input too. I googled local woodshops but to no avail. Your stand looks great and I appreciate the detailed explanation! I will use your advice on painting my current stand!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any harm in using a Krylon spray paint primer on this tank as opposed to brush on primer?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #146
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmmm, I would use a good primer. Just because it would help in the long run in resisting water. A primer only really helps in getting into the wood and saves on extra painting.

I would ask your local professional hardware store their opinion on the primer. I used "BEHR Premium Primer" and for paint I used "RedSeal" latex (midnight black). I used latex because that is what I was told to use for the best water resistant paint. So far it has been holding up well, and I got a lot of water on it. :-p

I personally wouldn't use a spray primer, but again I would talk to your local hardware store personal. I think they cold help you more than I could. I will say this, my brother Matt is a professional painter (has his own business and works for others), and he wouldn't use that stuff if his life depended on it. He was the one that told me to use the paint and primer I used. :-p
Old 05-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool thanks... I'll have to look into it!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #148
Aquarium Advice Addict

So our flooring is finally down and I can start to set my tank up. Thing I noticed is that my floor is really uneven. What is the best way to shim a tank stand? Do I used shims all across the bottom, or just in the corners of the stand where it meets the floor? Should I get something rubbery or styrofoam-ish to put under the stand? Any input is appreciated, thanks...
Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #149
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well you should shim the corners and middle. My question is why is a brand new floor such a drastic uneven/not level?
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Well you should shim the corners and middle. My question is why is a brand new floor such a drastic uneven/not level?
It's because I used the vinyl click together floating floor, and there is thinset underneath. I didn't use a floor leveler beforehand. The floors, walls, ceilings, you name it, are all uneven, thanks to 1980's contractors being all hopped up lol..

Tags
tan, tank upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com