Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The BlueFace and Yellow are doing fine now. Each day the aggression took a step down. They almost ignore each other now. Both are eating what I throw in and show no signs of anything, so I will likely get them in the 240g is a couple weekends. After the bad start with tank, it is exciting to have things go smoothly this time around.

I'm still trying to decide whether to go with two more Tangs next or I'm thinking maybe another Tang (blonde Naso) and a dwarf angel...after the next round I am looking at a Harlequin Tusk, Blue Jaw Trigger and am considering a Lyretail Hogfish.

I added the juvenile Blue Face Angel and the Yellow Tang last night. Both looked good while in QT for observation...put them in a little sooner than usual, but did not want to keep them in a smaller tank for too long. Everyone ate Mysis this morning and was looking good, so my fingers are crossed. I've got them in with one green Chromis and the Orange Spot Rabbitfish. I'm still up in the air for the next purchases, but the hit list is looking like... Lyretail Hogfish, Potters Angel, Mimic Eibli Tang, blonde Naso Tang, Blue Jaw Trigger, Harlequin Tusk, Banana Wrasse (going in last). I'm kinda leaning towards the Tusk and Potters next, then the Tangs, then the Trigger and Hog and lastly the Banana Wrasse and maybe a Flame Hawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice to see all the hard work starting to pay off, I hope things continue to go well

Looks great Todd! Glad to hear everything is finally coming together.

Well, the bad luck continues...looked at the fish yesterday as they were eating nori and the Blue Face Angel looked like it had areas on it's body where the skin was scraped. Hard to describe, but like if you took a knife to it and scraped areas that looked discolored. Did not look like anything raised off the body and no white spots or patches. Woke up this morning and originally did not see it, but then found it "swimming" upside down and looking near dead. I pulled it and put it into my QT tank, but I'm not thinking it will be alive when I get home from work. It had been eating, looked fine, nothing out of the ordinary.

The Yellow Tang (yesterday) had some white patches on its fins and a few white spots. Nothing this morning. This scares me because it seems very much like what happened with the last set of fish late last year. Did not look like Ich or anything I had ever seen... The spots came and went for a few days, then cleared up for a few days and a few days later all the fish started dying and the big Tangs had weird markings.

The Rabbitfish and Chromis look fine.

The Blue Face did not make it. The Tang has a couple white patches on it's fins, but does not look like a pimple, more cottony (just not raised much off the fin). The other two look totally fine.

I'm beyond bummed right now. Not sure if it's a case of a new fish just not making it or if something is back in the tank and the others will follow.

Looks like my upcoming fish shopping is going to be for the 60g cube.

Fingers crossed...the Yellow Tang is still looking okay today. A little white on one fin and one fin almost looks like it was nibbled on. Eating fine, cruising around with the Orange Spot Rabbitfish and Chromis. Maybe the Angel was just a casualty of being a new addition? Time will tell...

Got a Chalk Bass for the 60g cube while buying salt today. Doing a big water change on the. 240 g this weekend and a regular change on the cube.

Sorry to hear about your angel man, was a beauty. I hope everything else is ok.

Thanks. This was going to be the centerpiece fish for this tank too. I've seen other people struggle with juvies, so I'm not sure if I am going to try again or go with something like an Emp, Queen or Annularis.

I've got an exciting weekend coming up. I found a local person that is opening up a shop that is going to focus mostly on corals, but he can also get fish. He plans to do more distribution than retail.

I've given him a master list of fish for both of my tanks and he is going to get as many as he can this weekend. I will buy some (he is selling close to cost) and leave some, which he will keep to QT and use to keep bioload in his systems. I can pick them up whenever.

To make things even crazier, he is also giving me some zoa frags to babysit (Rastas, Fruit Loops, Sunny D's, Hyper Candy Apples, etc)...he wants stuff outside his system in case a disaster strikes. I'm giving him a few of my Zoas to grow out and letting him frag later.

It doesn't get much better than this. :)

Sounds like a sweet deal. Frag banks are the best. My local reef club does that it's a great way to get high end corals for no cost, other than a promise to frag if needed.

Can't wait to see what all he has. Sounds like a great zoa list and getting some in my tank to babysit does not take any arm twisting. I'm meeting up with him on Sunday to see his setup

I'm excited about the fish too. After the initial setback on the 240, it is nice to have had two fish make it several weeks without incident. Can't wait to add more so it does not look so empty. This new connection has me thinking of going reef in the 240, but there are a few fish I want that are not going to work, so I'm not so sure about that.

Round one of the great fish search, from the master list I gave this guy yielded a 7" Blonde Naso Tang, a Longnose Hawk and two Lawnmower Blennies. Much more is supposed to be available this weekend. I'm super excited about the Blonde Naso and look forward to seeing if he can get a juvenile Annularus or Majestic Angel, Lyretail Hogfish and Harlequin Tusk. There are others, but those are at the top of my list. The Blonde is in his QT until this weekend...
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/Todd_Huff/2014-07/E04DD213-5357-4735-BF16-EE8FF4E8B680.jpg

Yeah, the guy said the Blonde looked a little rough the first day or so, but is looking good now with no signs of Ich. The others (blennies and hawk) are just fun to watch, so I can't wait to get them into my tanks.

He's doing a fish run again this weekend, so we will see if he finds more from the list...

Back
Top Bottom