Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I lost a blonde naso on my big tank that died like that, he was 8" long and super healthy ( by looks anyways) , such a cool fish, so much personality

I sure hope the new one does better. This is one of those fish I've always wanted, but I'm only giving it one more try. Would love to have a Sohal, but I've heard they get mean

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They just sent a pic...looks like a female. Cool Angel too, but not mine.

Bit of topic...If you're in San Diego anytime soon, I found a huge and healthy naso tang at aquatic warehouse. Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411859675.986938.jpg

I just got word that the one they got yesterday died.

Unfortunately I'm not in San Diego until later this year.

Clown tangs are awesome, a lot cheaper than a sohal and lots of personality, they even look kind of similar.

I was there like 2 hours ago. Maybe they got a new one?

No, the big one that my guy was getting for me today. Picked it up yesterday from a distributer yesterday and was dead today. $100 down the toilet (or in the trash).

They tend to be poorly collected and they're mean and big. Just like a sohal. Definitely gorgeous but I'd want bigger than a 240 for one, JMO.

I'm thinking you should save up and go after that Aussie tusk :D

It's funny seeing the prices on sites like live aquaria or at the lfs.

I was at my wholesalers place last week and got a peek at a list of what he pays to the people that get the specimens from the ocean , 90% were between 50 cents to 1.50 per fish.

They tend to be poorly collected and they're mean and big. Just like a sohal. Definitely gorgeous but I'd want bigger than a 240 for one, JMO.

I'm thinking you should save up and go after that Aussie tusk :D

I will get an Aussie Tusk for sure. That is a must have. Lyretail hogfish is another.

In just the last few minutes, it's looking like I might inherit a smaller Clown Tang. My coral guy swapped a couple frags for several fish from a tank break down. He doesn't want the Clown, so I may try it out. He will take it back if it gets mean. I will likely sell it when it gets large if it lasts that long. Can't beat free.

It's funny seeing the prices on sites like live aquaria or at the lfs.

I was at my wholesalers place last week and got a peek at a list of what he pays to the people that get the specimens from the ocean , 90% were between 50 cents to 1.50 per fish.

I get the international ordering lists from several places and most fish are very inexpensive compared to retail. 20% is probably average, but you have to factor in shipping and all the charges. It still ends up about 35-40% retail. Red Sea stuff (Sohals, Purples, etcetera) are not marked up as much due to the bouncing around they have to go through to get to the US.

i agree the fish are actually queit cheap its the shipping that costs heaps the guy im going thru now told me shipping is charged by the kilo not sire what 1kg is in pounds but its $16.50 a kilo then you have quarantine fees on top of that its crazy how much it does end up costing

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A kilogram is a little over 2 pounds..
So $16,50 to usd from Australian is $14.49. Divide that by two, and it's $7.25..
Say the pack it in 1 gallon of water, plus a pound in heat packs, boxes and wraps.
Then it's $65 just for shipping.

If the fish cost say $5 wholesale,
65+5=70. Then a medium 30% mark up $85.

Most fish wholesale are between $5-$30 with bigger and more exotics hitting $40-150. The only fish I've ever seen above the $150 wholesale mark are stuff like gem tangs, clarion angels, and other rarities.

Yeah, the rare ones can be steep, but sell for a lot more. I saw a Vanuatu list once with a bunch of crazy angels. They were $150-$300. They had things like broken bar Regal Angels, a few Flame variants, a red crested angel, electric blue spot angels. Cool stuff. If I ever win the lottery, I'm starting a business and just doing that rarity type of thing. Can take trips to Australia and write it off as a business expense. :)

Good luck with the clown tang, those guys literally just rip around the tank all day, pretty cool fish , hope he isn't a bully

Back
Top Bottom