new to the site, 10 gal. tank stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milooo

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey i'm new to the site and am relatively new to aquarium keeping. i have a 10 gallon tank with one platy and 5 zebra danios. i want to get some more fish, most preferably ones that would either eat algae or scavenge. any suggestions?

also i am currently trying to make my own bogwood / driftwood and sort of know what i'm doing but any advice would be appreciated.

Hello welcome to AA! :) You picked the best site to get started in the hobby! I suggest maybe getting a Bristlenose Pleco. They may not eat the most algae, but they are just overall an awesome fish to have. Now remember a bristlenose Pleco, a common Pleco will get over 1-2 feet long! :0 Good luck!

i bought an albino bristlenose about two weeks ago and it died the same day. i tested the water and everything and it was all fine. the pleco was even pretty active towards the end of the day, but when i woke up he was dead.

Oh yes brings me to another question, did you cycle your tank?

yeah, it has been running for around 2 months, i bought some extra danios to make a more full school and they all lived. honestly i dont think it was my tank, though i did not have any algae, but within 24 hours? i dont think it would matter, plus i gave him an algae waffer

on the test strips it all said safe, and i had just done a water change the day before. idk, i think i just got a bad fish, i still might get a bristle nose, but its recommended to have a 30 gallon tank.

I highly suggest you invest in an API freshwater liquid test kit. It's a lot more accurate, and will help you in the future.

what is that, how much is it, and where can i get it. i just have a petco around me so they dont even have fertilizers for plants.

That depends. If your cycling a tank, every day to every other day. I used to test my tank once a week sometimes twice a week. The same day as my PWCs. Whatever fits your schedule really. Since your tank is basically fully established, I think you would be fine with 1-2 times a week.

alright, yeah then the kit seems much more realistic than a set of 4 strips for once a week testing.

also i was thinking if i could get some, get some shrimp and then a few more danios and maybe something else.

A master API test kit at petmountain.com even with shipping is a lot less expensive! All their stuff is cheaper and name brand! Free shipping over $60 and look for petmountain coupons. Usually find $5 off purchase or Free shipping at $49 and more. I am new and found this on line store! Saved a bundle! Hope this is not to late but you can order anything anytime from there. I just joined this evening, am new to aquarium...20 gal guppy tank.

God bless, new2guppy

Thanks, and no its not too late.

Well if. Im gonna buy stuff online what do you suggest for Plant fertilizers. My tank Is lightly planted at the moment and all of them are potted, but I would Still like to see them grow

On buying on line..

Hi there, umm, I am new to aquarium stuff! I don't know much about them and am learning (and a LOT here!). Can't help there. So sorry!
new2guppy

milooo said:
hey i'm new to the site and am relatively new to aquarium keeping. i have a 10 gallon tank with one platy and 5 zebra danios. i want to get some more fish, most preferably ones that would either eat algae or scavenge. any suggestions?

also i am currently trying to make my own bogwood / driftwood and sort of know what i'm doing but any advice would be appreciated.

For a small tank cory cats are good scavengers but don't eat a lot of algae, as far as algae goes Siamese algae eaters are effective and stay relatively small, 4-6 inches. Or oto cats, they can be difficult to get established but after the first month or so are pretty hardy. All of these would be good for a 10 gal and wont eat your plants!

I don't know about cories though because you need a school of six for most of them. But maybe I'll get some of them and then some shrimp for the algae. Are shrimp easy to keep, I heard that they have a low impact on the tank.

Also I just noticed that my smallest danio had a large white spot righ behind his tail fin. I think that it is an injury but I don't really know if it is some fungus because he isn't eating a lot and looks like he's breathing heavily.

agwats said:
For a small tank cory cats are good scavengers but don't eat a lot of algae, as far as algae goes Siamese algae eaters are effective and stay relatively small, 4-6 inches. Or oto cats, they can be difficult to get established but after the first month or so are pretty hardy. All of these would be good for a 10 gal and wont eat your plants!

Cories would not be suitable in a ten gallon. Like you said they go from 4-6 inches. They are also super active so I suggest a 20 gallon minimum.

corry's

I might be wrong but I have a 20L and bought 2 Leopard Corry's. From 3 LFS, none said I need to have 6 at a time. 2 is good. They are very happy little buggers with my 6 fancy guppies.

UGH! I am going through a bacteria bloom! Hear one thing then another. My parameters are PH steady at 8; Amon. not quite .25. My first change ever I think I over did it. Had cycled the tank with established sponge for 3 weeks. Then added gups. and Hornwart. It made mess & died. Got 2 corry's. 4+ wks. cleaned, threw away plant, rinsed sponge in 5gal I took off. 2 days got cloudy, 1 wk later took off 3gal. No rinse sponge. Looks awful but all are fishies healthy. Feed only what eat in 2-3 mins. 2x's day. Went 2 days no fed. Need to get nitrate & nitirte. tested. Wished I had gotten master at petmountain but found the site to late. Guess I am supposed to wait this out, no change unless parameters out??? :(

Back
Top Bottom